Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ivarti

Matt Upson ?

Elliott was a legend for us... But that's a highly debatable comment.

Debatable?

Really. What argument do you have for upson being better than elliott.

I know we have blue tinted specs. But enlightened me.

Upson has played for England. Elliott couldn't even get a call up. Upson has played more premier league games.

What arguments do you have for Elliott being better than Upson?

Upson has played for England. Elliott couldn't even get a call up. Upson has played more premier league games.

Elliot chose to play for Scotland...doubt he would have been given a chance in the England squad back then.

Elliott not getting an England call up had nothing to do with his ability though. He was as good as almost any other prem centre back between 97-99. It was purely because he played for little old Leicester. If he'd played for Liverpool or spurs he would have been a regular in the England squad.

Debatable?

Really. What argument do you have for upson being better than elliott.

I know we have blue tinted specs. But enlightened me.

Erm, have you forgotten Upson played and scored for England at the world cup?

Elliott not getting an England call up had nothing to do with his ability though. He was as good as almost any other prem centre back between 97-99. It was purely because he played for little old Leicester. If he'd played for Liverpool or spurs he would have been a regular in the England squad.

No he wouldn't, there was several players ahead of him on that front.... Notably Campbell, Adams, Keown and Southgate.... , that's not to knock him though as he was great for us

Erm, have you forgotten Upson played and scored for England at the world cup?

So on that basis. He and rio ferdinand are better than giggs. Right?

Did you watch his last performance in an england shirt.

Was he anywhere to be seen as germany tore us a new one?

He didn't make it at arsenal. And his number or games played for birmingham and west ham is almost identical to elliotts games played for us so bar a few arsenal games and a season at west ham. He is hardly miles ahead in terms of too flight games.

Elliot chose to play for Scotland...doubt he would have been given a chance in the England squad back then.

"Chose" translating to "couldn't get a call up for England so to play international football he went and played for Scotland".

I'm not doubting how good Elliott was for us, a club legend and rightly so.

No he wouldn't, there was several players ahead of him on that front.... Notably Campbell, Adams, Keown and Southgate.... , that's not to knock him though as he was great for us

Elliott was a just as good as Southgate and Campbell at the time. If Campbell played for us and Elliott for spurs (who were no better than us) it would have been a different story.

So on that basis. He and rio ferdinand are better than giggs. Right?

Did you watch his last performance in an england shirt.

Was he anywhere to be seen as germany tore us a new one?

He didn't make it at arsenal. And his number or games played for birmingham and west ham is almost identical to elliotts games played for us so bar a few arsenal games and a season at west ham. He is hardly miles ahead in terms of too flight games.

They're better defenders, yes

Elliott was a just as good as Southgate and Campbell at the time. If Campbell played for us and Elliott for spurs (who were no better than us) it would have been a different story.

Campbell played over 70 times for England, that's not down to just being at a bigger club than Elliott...... At least give credit where it's due he was a very good CB

Campbell played over 70 times for England, that's not down to just being at a bigger club than Elliott...... At least give credit where it's due he was a very good CB

He was a very good centre back. In fact between 2000 and 2006 he was an absolutely fantastic centre back. However during the time I'm speaking about which is 97 to 99/2000 he was no better than Elliott just the best player in an average Spurs side.

Elliott was fearless and brilliant in the air, I thought a better header of the ball than Walshy. He was no slouch with the ball at his feet, but he wasn't as skilful as Campbell, that's why he didn't get a sniff with England.

I also thought Matt was too nice, he didn't do enough of the nasty stuff For me, a la Walshy or Cross. I am not knocking him, one of my hero's, but too me, he was the always the brave silent type, never moaned, just did his job. Massive respect for him and don't blame him for at least getting some international experiences with Scotland.

Don't know much about Upson, will reserve judgment til I see him play, although didn't get that headed goal against Krauts in 2010?

Comparing Elliott and Upson is a pointless activity, Elliott wasn't 35 when he made his competitive debut for us. 

Upson did score against Germany in 2010, but he was a fcking liability at the back the entire game. 

I, personally, hope he's here to add depth as opposed to start, we'll find out soon enough. 

"Chose" translating to "couldn't get a call up for England so to play international football he went and played for Scotland".

I'm not doubting how good Elliott was for us, a club legend and rightly so.

Just shows how good a bloke he also is - Wanted to play football at every level and even for the jocks when you aren't paid at that level lol

Leicester have revealed that they are not setting any targets with regards to defender Matt Upson's return from injury. The 35-year-old former England international central defender joined the club on a Bosman-free transfer when his contract at Brighton expired at the end of last season. Upson enjoyed a relatively injury-free run at the Amex Stadium, but his time with the Foxes has been blighted by a foot problem which has ruled him out for the majority of their pre-season preparations. He is expected to miss the start of the new Premier League campaign, while assistant boss Craig Shakespeare does not know when he will be fit to return to action. "It has been very tough for Matt because, after joining us, he hasn't been able to train," he said in the Leicester Mercury. "He has spent most of the time having treatment, which makes it harder for him to integrate with his new team-mates because, while they are on the training pitch, he is inside. "We aren't putting a timescale on when he will be available but, hopefully, it will be sooner than later because he is a defender with great experience and a lot of quality who will add to the squad."

Read more at: https://www.clubcall.com/leicester-city/shakespeare-in-the-dark-over-upson-1735471.html

Archived