Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxes_rule1978

Driverless cars on public roads by next year

I would have thought we'd get an autopilot option on cars first rather than going straight in at fully automatic. Can't see any technological barrier to mass producing cars which are capable of autopilot'ing on motorways and a-roads and then switching to manual for the last leg. As someone who clocks up about 25k miles per annum I would absolutely love being able to let a computer take over on main roads.

I seemed to remember a headline or two about this happening in the 70s.

You're right, the technology has been around since the 70s, but it's only now that insurers/manufacturers/governments are seriously considering making it a reality.  The reason it didn't fly in the past is that no-one would accept liability if the technology failed and caused injury or death.

Jeez the environMENTAL folk will do their nut, when cars are driving round with nobody in it. lol

I think I may be being really thick here.

Why will there be cars driving around with nobody in them?  I can see the case for driver-less cars, but demand for passenger-less cars probably won't be great

Eventually we will all just hire/rent drive less cars like taxis, the system will learn our habits and cars will be allocated based on predicted need, so as soon as your request a car it will drive to your location, but one will already be nearby and ready, to take you home.

So yes, cars will drive around empty, but only to the nearest taxi/car rank, and then to pick up a rider.

Eventually we will all just hire/rent drive less cars like taxis, the system will learn our habits and cars will be allocated based on predicted need, so as soon as your request a car it will drive to your location, but one will already be nearby and ready, to take you home.

So yes, cars will drive around empty, but only to the nearest taxi/car rank, and then to pick up a rider.

I don't want to use a car if TBJS was the previous occupant!

True dat. Future generations will be amazed that in our day we could just get in a car and drive however we wanted where ever we wanted. Such freedoms, they will lament.

It'll put thousands of taxi drivers and independent garages out of business. That's progress I suppose.

Archived