Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
willie-bell-in-rothley

U21s / Development Squad 2014-15

The problem is that there is no route into the first team squad for these lads when you have 3/4 experienced pros missing out on the squad each game. Look at Southampton's bench, United, Arsenal... All gamble with a couple of youth players on the bench, because they leave them room within their squad to progress.

You're right there. I said in the summer we needed quality not quantity. But Pearson decided to fill the squad out. All that meant was when we suffer a few injuries we've had the likes of Hammond, GTF, Wood, Albrighton (IMO) taking their place on the bench who just aren't good enough at this level. Although admittedly Hammond was required early on.

It may not matter so much right now, I don't particularly rate any of our U21's and it's not good bringing them in when we can't buy a win, but when the next crop are coming through we need to make at least one space available now and then.

You're right there. I said in the summer we needed quality not quantity. But Pearson decided to fill the squad out. All that meant was when we suffer a few injuries we've had the likes of Hammond, GTF, Wood, Albrighton (IMO) taking their place on the bench who just aren't good enough at this level. Although admittedly Hammond was required early on.

It may not matter so much right now, I don't particularly rate any of our U21's and it's not good bringing them in when we can't buy a win, but when the next crop are coming through we need to make at least one space available now and then.

It's a lot easier to blood youngsters when the team has quality and experience throughout it. I'm talking about quality that will get the team out of situations where the young lads are struggling.

I agree, with the benefit of hindsight, that we should have gone with the less is more attitude but at the time I thought strengthening the squad was the right thing to do - we had to add some PL experience.

don't rate the 21s? the team that won every game in their European group beating benfica schalke and man.c away? I was in Manchester when the 21s were up there last month, so decided to go and watch em for the first time this season. Came from 2 goals down to beat man city 3-2. I thought they were absolutely excellent . A goal from stankavicius and a double from Harry P. the team i don't rate is the 1st team, there bloody awful. 18s n 21s are very good and hopefully they will get picked up by a progressive club elsewhere, no chance with the guy in charge at the mo. They need a pardew or a Tim sherwood someone who gives young ones a go, I remember we thinking Harry Kane was rubbish too. Clueless fans deserve a clueless manager

They're playing well no doubt but of those you mention, Panayioutou went out on loan to Port Vale and never managed an appearance? He should have progressed more than he has by now, Stankevicious didn't pull up any trees at Nuneaton either.

I would be happy to put money on absolutely none of the U21's breaking and establishing themselves into the first team.

For all of the talk about Tom Hopper, Cain etc, they are basically second rate League 2 players at best.

Watching the U21's on youtube is simply dreadful. Its like watching Special Olympics football.

Gash.

I would be happy to put money on absolutely none of the U21's breaking and establishing themselves into the first team.

For all of the talk about Tom Hopper, Cain etc, they are basically second rate League 2 players at best.

Watching the U21's on youtube is simply dreadful. Its like watching Special Olympics football.

Gash.

You maybe correct and you have history on your side but players develop at different rates and different ages also players can look poor in one team and excel when they have better/compatible players around them.

Gash.

That's why Hopper's scoring goals for fun for Scunthorpe in League One and Cain has almost single handedly put Walsall in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy Final. Maybe they'll never be top PL players but they'll do a job in the Championship. 

18s n 21s are very good and hopefully they will get picked up by a progressive club elsewhere, no chance with the guy in charge at the mo. They need a pardew or a Tim sherwood someone who gives young ones a go, I remember we thinking Harry Kane was rubbish too. Clueless fans deserve a clueless manager

If Pearson started playing our u21 and u18s now everyone would flip their shit

• 2 weeks later...

That's why Hopper's scoring goals for fun for Scunthorpe in League One and Cain has almost single handedly put Walsall in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy Final. Maybe they'll never be top PL players but they'll do a job in the Championship.

Sorry, that list of achievements is pretty amazing.

Gash.

U21s Report: Fulham 1 Leicester City 3

Posted: Sat 28 Feb 2015 

Author: Leicester City

Leicester City’s Development Squad stretched their unbeaten run to five games in all competitions after securing a 3-1 Barclays U21 Premier League victory over Fulham at Motspur Park on Saturday.
The Foxes were 2-0 up within nine minutes thanks to strikes from Jak McCourt and Harry Panayiotou, before Patrick Roberts pulled one back for the hosts just before the break. 

And as Fulham went in search of an equaliser, it was Anthony Knockaert who grabbed a third for City from the penalty spot, sending Leicester home with three points. 

Steve Beaglehole’s side were boosted by the influence of first-teamers Knockaert and Tom Lawrence and were captained by right-back James Pearson. 

Leicester had already faced Fulham in the league in September, but despite carving out a handful of goalscoring chances, it was the Cottagers who recorded a 2-0 win at King Power Stadium on that day. 

Knowing a win in London could move City as high as eighth in the table, it was Knockaert who mustered up the first opportunity of the game. The lively winger cut in from the right flank before firing over with his left foot with two minutes on the clock. 

It was a bright start from the Foxes, who were keen to capitalise on their chances. McCourt, who looked a threat throughout, curled a superb strike in past goalkeeper Magnus Norman on six minutes to open the scoring. 

And just three minutes later, City had doubled their lead. Good work down the left from Jack Barmby saw the winger swing the ball into Panayiotou, who calmly side-footed in to make it 2-0. 

A neat one-two between Lawrence and Knockaert saw the former find space in the area on 22 minutes, but shot-stopper Norman came off his line quickly to smother the ball. 

Teasing crosses from Barmby and Joe Dodoo were cut out by Fernando Amorebieta as City looked for a third, while at the other end, Joe Davis stood strong to deny Ange-Freddy Plumain’s effort. 

The hosts pulled one back on 36 minutes. City couldn’t clear Plumain’s dangerous cross and Roberts hammered in the loose ball past Adam Smithfrom 12 yards. 

Fulham were just inches away from levelling the score three minutes after their first goal. Jack Grimmer rattled Smith’s crossbar before Barmby dispossessed Plumain, who looked to slot in the rebound – 2-1 to City at the break. 

An early second-half chance for the visitors fell to Simonas Stankevicius. The Lithuanian international hit an effort towards goal, only for captain Jonathan Buatu to block the frontman’s shot. 

Knockaert then fired a 20-yard free kick over Fulham’s wall, but couldn’t beat ‘keeper Norman, who collected the Frenchman’s effort with ease on 52 minutes. 

Ryan Williams tried his luck from range but couldn’t hit the target, while at the other end, Norman halted Panayiotou’s surging run. 

City restored their two-goal advantage with 18 minutes to go. Substitute Ben Chilwell was upended in the Fulham box and Knockaert slotted in from the spot to make it 3-1 to Beaglehole’s side. 

Fulham tried to orchestrate a late siege on Smith’s goal, but a combination of hard work and composure from the visitors meant there was no way through for the men in white. 

Up next for the Foxes is a testing U21 Premier League trip to high-flying Chelsea on Friday 6 March. 

FULHAM: Norman, Grimmer, Evans, Donnelly, Buatu ©, Amorebieta, Roberts, Tu Na Bangna, Taggart, Williams, Plumain 

SUBS NOT USED: Barnes, Della Verde, Casasola, Redford 

GOAL: Roberts 36 

CITY: Smith, Pearson ©, Barmby (Kennedy 82), McCourt, Sesay, Davis, Lawrence, Panayiotou, Stankevicius (Chilwell 61), Knockaert (Rowley 85), Dodoo 

SUBS NOT USED: Maddison, Scott 

GOALS: McCourt 6, Panayiotou 9, Knockaert pen 72 

REFEREE: Mr R. Hyde

Read more at http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/u21s-report-fulham-1-leicester-city-3-2302268.aspx#RKG3JMoHLYB1z519.99

Stroked it in like he'd been scoring them all his life.

What the report doesn't say was Chilwell ran half the length of the pitch and skinned at least 3 Fulham players to win the penalty.

3:30

Leicester City’s Development Squad will play Everton in the quarter-finals of the Premier League International Cup at King Power Stadium.

The Foxes had already booked their place in the last-eight after finishing top of Group C following wins over SchalkeBenfica and Manchester City, but had to wait for Group D’s remaining fixtures to be played to find out who they would face in the quarter-finals. 

Everton beat Sunderland 1-0 at Goodison Park on Thursday evening to finish second in their group to set up a tie at City. 

Ticket details will be released on LCFC.com in due course once a time and date for the match has been set.

Read more at http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/u21s-to-face-everton-in-international-cup-2318907.aspx#1Y7pFqgCktYTG2PC.99

Tonight's ‪#‎lcfcu21s‬ starting XI to face Chelsea FC: Smith, Pearson ©, Chilwell, McCourt, Sesay, Davis, Lawrence, Barmby, Panayiotou, Knockaert, Dodoo

Subs: Kennedy, Maddison, Rowley, Scott, Stankevicius. #lcfcu21s

KO at 7:05pm. Head over to http://buff.ly/18Xsbss for live match updates.

GOAL! Chelsea 0-1 City (Panayiotou 3) Great work from Panayiotou, who wins the ball and slots in to give his side an early lead! #lcfcu21s

Archived