Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
willie-bell-in-rothley

U21s / Development Squad 2014-15

A top ranked academy, a coach and scouting staff with good reputations and obviously willing to pay the right money for the right prospects goes a long way in attracting United youngsters who are miles from their first team squad.

Find it quite interesting that, with Rowley as with Barmby, there's a few on the ManU forums who seem disappointed to see the player(s) move on.

Seems that both were decently regarded as prospects. Looks like Nigel might have stolen a gem or two!

Incidentally, does anyone know why we seem to have the 'edge' when it comes to signing United's youngsters??

It's not as if we're trading draft picks for Man U youngsters like they do in the NBA, so we must be paying a decent sum of money to be snatching players from one of the best academies in the world - perhaps we can offer the players 1st team football chances before they get to an age where they find out the 1st team is a mile away - and a bumper wage if they stay on after that initial year / two years.

I think Barmby will be an interesting youth player, as will Rowley - old enough to be playing sub roles / cup games now, but the potential to be Pearsonised to a position where they can learn and develop as all-round footballers in a system devoted to youth and experience mixing. I think Pearson will be putting Rowley as a DM after playing LB and CM for Man U's academy and reserves.

Also, perhaps Man U just doesnt rate these players as a financial, and/or 1st team gain. Luke Shaw at 19 as a starting LB kind of pushes Rowley out of Man U in itself, but what's stopping other teams from taking them? I don't know, I just think our academy has improved ans is improving, attracting these young lads.

I went to the game. Won it 0-1 but wasn't overly impressed. There were glimpses of quality but I thought our style of football was awful. Too much hit and hope. Not going to write people off based on a friendly though.

Also, perhaps Man U just doesnt rate these players as a financial, and/or 1st team gain.

A lot of very good players aren't good enough to play for teams like Utd. By the time they're 19/20, if they aren't knocking on the door, the chances are they won't ever be good enough. Why bother? Let them develop elsewhere (buy them back in the tiny % that do make it later) and make room for someone younger, who does still have a chance.

That said, I'm delighted it's us that seems to be picking them up. A lot of very good teams are built from the guys not quite good enough to make it at Man U, and it's worked for us so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Excuse my ignorance,

So as we are in one if the two leagues does that mean we will stay there and if so how will other clubs not in these leagues join?

Is this comp only for cat 1 academies?

Today's Leicester starting XI: Smith, Pearson, N'Goma, Watson, Sesay, Moore, Panayotou, Cain, Blyth, Hopper, Barmby

Today's Leicester substitutes: Miles, Maddison, Meadows, Dodoo, Stankevicius, Ndukwu.

Today's Leicester starting XI: Smith, Pearson, N'Goma, Watson, Sesay, Moore, Panayotou, Cain, Blyth, Hopper, Barmby

Today's Leicester substitutes: Miles, Maddison, Meadows, Dodoo, Stankevicius, Ndukwu.

I heard we are playing Scunny first team

GOAL!!! The Iron take the lead! McAllister puts through Taylor, who dinks keeper Smith. 2-1 to the Iron! #UTI

GOAL!!! The Iron equaliser through Llera. McSheffrey sent a dangerous free-kick in the box and the Spaniard headed from six yards. 1-1

Just looked at Scunny twitter for the teams and Layton Ndukwu is on the bench. This guy is supposed to be something special apparently. Hope players like Cain, Watson and Panayiotou can go out on loan and get some valuable game time

Layton just called up to England squad

I want to see more of this Ndukwu kid. I take it he's the one who's meant to be special. Anyone who's seen him fill me in?

Unbelievable talent but he's only 15. A lot to still do before he makes it. Spoke to Muzzy Izzet and the club are doing their utmost to protect him, every big club in England want him but hopefully he'll stick with us. He's an Agbonlahor/Sterling type forward.

Unbelievable talent but he's only 15. A lot to still do before he makes it. Spoke to Muzzy Izzet and the club are doing their utmost to protect him, every big club in England want him but hopefully he'll stick with us. He's an Agbonlahor/Sterling type forward.

Kinda 2 different types of forwards.

A top ranked academy, a coach and scouting staff with good reputations and obviously willing to pay the right money for the right prospects goes a long way in attracting United youngsters who are miles from their first team squad.

Also, they can see how Drinkwater, James and De Laet have benefited from their switch to City (albeit at a slightly later stage in their careers).

Archived