Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ScouseFox

Andy King

King, Moore and Morgan hard to pick between. All absolutely, undisputed, clear Premier League class.

Absolutely this. I audibly groaned when Hammond came on as Drinkwater was running the show. Was worried we'd be over run in midfield without him. King not so much stepped up as jumped up feet first and started to fly. His best performance in a City shirt. Showed that he is more than capable of not only deputising but pushing for a starting place if he maintains that form.

Morgan will still have Lukaku in his pocket this morning. Lost him once all game and Moore was there to help out. I wish Hansen was still on MOTD to analyse their performance together.

With the injuries we have at the moment though I would say that hopefully Pearson sees this as a wake up call to bring in 2 or 3 players for depth. And I wouldn't be surprised to see us linked with a few right backs after De Laets defensive struggles today. Else we'll see Albrighton filling in as a more defensive winger than Mahrez who left De Laet high and dry on more than one occasion yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If all three were fit he'd still be gone for me, a whole season of playing well is not out wayed by one good performance, and to be honest for me that's all it was, he wasn't that outstanding. 

Mind you he will more than likely get a chance to build on it with the other two struggling so I'll be interested to see how he does.

I thought parts of his game were outstanding, his ball retention and ability to pick up the ball and keep us moving (forwards as well not just backwards) were exceptional. I've been critical of him before and was never sure if he'd step up, but in yesterdays game I thought he really did.

As others have said, him Morgan and Moore were all good. But I agree with you, Morgan for me really did stand out. Not only to out pace and out strength an absolute monster of a player, he also out thought him numerous times.

Edit: just seen the stats someone posted which kind of back up what I said about King, I wasn't expecting them to be that high though. That's some going.

King did well today. The sun ratings sums up the way 'little ' teams are viewed. Unless we can play like Southampton, that won't change.

however, there are some rose tinted spectacles being worn - 'good premier league team'. Really ? I hope Nigel's getting that message into the boys but we're some way off proving that.

we weren't at the races yesterday compared to how we can play but it was our first game and Everton are a good premier league team. Let's hope that we can get the players back to enable us to play some football. we were pressured into making too many poor choices and panicking on occasions until later in the game when they tired. spirit and togetherness will only get us so far at this level and that is not likely to be higher than 18th. of course, until we play at Stoke, we won't get a real handle on where we are.

King did well today. The sun ratings sums up the way 'little ' teams are viewed. Unless we can play like Southampton, that won't change.

however, there are some rose tinted spectacles being worn - 'good premier league team'. Really ? I hope Nigel's getting that message into the boys but we're some way off proving that.

we weren't at the races yesterday compared to how we can play but it was our first game and Everton are a good premier league team. Let's hope that we can get the players back to enable us to play some football. we were pressured into making too many poor choices and panicking on occasions until later in the game when they tired. spirit and togetherness will only get us so far at this level and that is not likely to be higher than 18th. of course, until we play at Stoke, we won't get a real handle on where we are.

Your points seem very contradictory. You say we're a long way off from being a good team, yet you admit we weren't playing anywhere near our potential and still managed a very competitive draw against a strong and experienced Everton side.

For me we need more one and two-touch footballers like King if we're going to retain possession like Everton did at times. Apart from in and around the opposition penalty box anything more than two-touches is asking for trouble in this league and more especially if we're caught in possession or too slow in our decision-making. 

King's speed-of-mind, quick control and accuracy were a joy to see yesterday and he got additional options once Schlupp came on and made the kind of runs that threatened an experienced but vulnerable defence.

King needs people running off and around him and people who feed the ball quickly with give and go's. Yesterday there's was often too much preamble and I really wasn't happy about the way we sat off them either.

We've done it in the past and it's cost us points and I'd argue it showed too much respect yesterday as well because I really wasn't convinced of Everton defensively.

Yes. I do understand our caution. We didn't want to look like mugs yesterday but as Pearson himself said, we're better than we showed at times and when we did have the pace to go forward we caused problems.  

King's performance will be welcomed. I feel sure he'd have started yesterday after his display against Werder Bremen but as support to a lone-striker Nugent. The injury to James slipped Kingy back into a conventional midfield role and eventually gave Wood the chance to etch himself into Pearson's thoughts and at just the right time, given the injuries to James and Drinkwater.  

For me we need more one and two-touch footballers like King if we're going to retain possession like Everton did at times. Apart from in and around the opposition penalty box anything more than two-touches is asking for trouble in this league and more especially if we're caught in possession or too slow in our decision-making. 

King's speed-of-mind, quick control and accuracy were a joy to see yesterday and he got additional options once Schlupp came on and made the kind of runs that threatened an experienced but vulnerable defence.

King needs people running off and around him and people who feed the ball quickly with give and go's. Yesterday there's was often too much preamble and I really wasn't happy about the way we sat off them either.

We've done it in the past and it's cost us points and I'd argue it showed too much respect yesterday as well because I really wasn't convinced of Everton defensively.

Yes. I do understand our caution. We didn't want to look like mugs yesterday but as Pearson himself said, we're better than we showed at times and when we did have the pace to go forward we caused problems.  

King's performance will be welcomed. I feel sure he'd have started yesterday after his display against Werder Bremen but as support to a lone-striker Nugent. The injury to James slipped Kingy back into a conventional midfield role and eventually gave Wood the chance to etch himself into Pearson's thoughts and at just the right time, given the injuries to James and Drinkwater.  

What he said.

Your points seem very contradictory. You say we're a long way off from being a good team, yet you admit we weren't playing anywhere near our potential and still managed a very competitive draw against a strong and experienced Everton side.

did i ? i said we're some way off proving that. huge difference. yesterday showed we can scrap a point and our fitness will enable us to stay a threat as games wear on. i am 100 % sure that had everton been as fit as we were (they look like they are a couple weeks behind us), we would have got nothing out of the game.  to prove we are a good PL team will mean playing some good football for sustained periods, especially at home.  i didnt want my post to be negative which is why i balanced it. i believe that this team will survive comfortably if the management give them the depth in resources they will undoubtedly need as the campaign progresses.

I'm going to hold my hands up and apologise for questioning King's ability, as yesterday I was at a wedding, and didn't get the opportunity to see the match, I've read nothing but great things. I know that one swallow don't make a summer etc, so I'll be glad to be proven wrong about my assumptions if he keeps it up.

Easy if you ask me. Hugely impressive.

Could be worse.

Who needs Estaban  :whistle:

IF he does come in, and players like King can keep putting in performances like that, then we have a damn impressive midfield. A midfield three with either 2 back (James & Cambiasso) and 1 up (Drinkwater or King) or vice versa with 1 back and 2 up would be fantastic, especially in those tough away games where we might need to pack the midfield.

And then there's the back-up option in Hammond, who showed yesterday that he's still capable of performing well in that role.

Really optimistic for this season if our players can keep putting in performances like that.

Granted.

Would still have him out for James and Drinkwater in a heart beat though.

I wouldn't and I don't think Pearson will either.

You play players on merit, like Pearson did last season. Therefore if King puts in more performances like that then James will have to fight for his place back in the first team when he returns.

Until then it's King's chance to become a regular starter.

As others have said, it's not a bad problem for Pearson to have

Excelent post,I do also feel that Evertons left side potency nullified Ritchies attacking threat!

King is and always has been Pearson's lucky charm since we were in league 1. his main reason for not getting too many games last year

was his lack of a physical presence in the Championship not his ability.

Form is transient but class is permanent and he proved to his doubters yesterday that he has the class.  

He's also a managers delight to have in any squad, which why I believe Pearson will never sell him. 

Excelent post,I do also feel that Evertons left side potency nullified Ritchies attacking threat!

No question about that - DeLaet had very little opportunity to get forward and if he had done there was never going to be sound enough cover from the guys in front of him. 

I'm going to hold my hands up and apologise for questioning King's ability, as yesterday I was at a wedding, and didn't get the opportunity to see the match, I've read nothing but great things. I know that one swallow don't make a summer etc, so I'll be glad to be proven wrong about my assumptions if he keeps it up.

Apology accepted.

In previous years King has suffered when he’s asked to play the defensive midfield role, which he just isn’t suited to. Whenever he’s alongside a good Defensive midfielder though he is our best player. (Unfortunately for him though, so is Drinkwater).

I really am not a fan of King/Drinkwater as a midfield partnership as neither has the defensive awareness of James or Hammond. I think Pearson has a blind spot to this, although the stats back it up.

Dare I say it: had Drinkwater not got injured on Saturday, we would have lost?

When I saw the line-up I thought that playing a midfield of Mahrez/King/Drinky/Knockaert would leave us wide open at the back – which it did for large portions of the first half.

Apology accepted.

In previous years King has suffered when he’s asked to play the defensive midfield role, which he just isn’t suited to. Whenever he’s alongside a good Defensive midfielder though he is our best player. (Unfortunately for him though, so is Drinkwater).

I really am not a fan of King/Drinkwater as a midfield partnership as neither has the defensive awareness of James or Hammond. I think Pearson has a blind spot to this, although the stats back it up.

Dare I say it: had Drinkwater not got injured on Saturday, we would have lost?

When I saw the line-up I thought that playing a midfield of Mahrez/King/Drinky/Knockaert would leave us wide open at the back – which it did for large portions of the first half.

I think we'd have been fine. Hammond just had a really good day when he came on, thankfully. Hope he has many more good days whenever he's asked to play. Gets a rough time from our fans and I'm not totally sure why. I don't want to say he's been made a scapegoat, but perhaps it's just been convenience to blame someone.

Everton were certainly less threatening in the second half, probably through a combination of us improving and them being content to wait/ sit on the lead. Hammond and King worked well together, but Drinkwater would've grown into the game and I don't think we can say for certain we'd have lost with him playing in the second half.

Everton were certainly less threatening in the second half, probably through a combination of us improving and them being content to wait/ sit on the lead. Hammond and King worked well together, but Drinkwater would've grown into the game and I don't think we can say for certain we'd have lost with him playing in the second half.

Maybe... I think the game changer was actually Schlupp coming on for Knocky.

He came on at a time when Everton were tiring and really stretched them with his pace and ability to run with the ball.

Such a shame he lost his head when put through by Mahrez. His overall performance deserved a goal.

Based on Saturday, I think I would start Schlupp ahead of Knocky on the wing away at Chelsea. His ability to defend properly will definitely be needed - and defending just isn't a part of Knocky's game that is developing quickly enough, as evidenced on Saturday.

Thought he was standout player of the day.

Reading through the sun dreamteam ratings I couldn't believe my eyes. The poor reporter watched a different game to us all by the sounds of it. He got a 4. So biase towards the 'bigger teams' especially in comparison to the Everton ratings,

Back to the topic.

Andy king today was immense!

I agree...was this idiot of a reporter from the Sun at the ground??.King had a superb game and why wasn't Morgan Man of the Match??..Nugent 5?? the poor chap never stopped running!!

Archived