Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Onions

Andy King vs Everton

I thought he was arguably (aside from Morgan and Mahrez) our best player that day. 

I was talking to a guy at work about this and he said he thought King was poor and that we both must have been watching a different game. 

He know's he's got a real fight on his hands to battle James, Drinky and Cambiasso (if he ever signs)! He played his heart out. He's a decent player when he is match fit. He was poor last season as he lacked match experience! He has played in most friendlies this summer.

I have thought he was a good player and showed why he was constantly linked with premier league clubs during the last few years. His style is very reminiscent of Lampard and he knows how to make those late runs. 

Lampard yeah! I was just gonna say that.

The people who don’t rate him are basically left-overs from the 1970s and 80s when Central Midfielders were either one of two types: Gary McAllister flair players, or Ali Mauchlen ‘toughies’. Those days are long gone, but still a lot of fans won’t even notice a player unless he’s scoring loads of goals or doing loads of step-overs.

Most managers want players who will work hard, can keep possession, and keep the shape of the team. King, Hammond, Nugent, Vardy etc.

The people who don’t rate King are usually the same who think Knockaert should replace him in centre midfield or that Nugent doesn’t score enough goals!

Lampard yeah! I was just gonna say that.

The people who don’t rate him are basically left-overs from the 1970s and 80s when Central Midfielders were either one of two types: Gary McAllister flair players, or Ali Mauchlen ‘toughies’. Those days are long gone, but still a lot of fans won’t even notice a player unless he’s scoring loads of goals or doing loads of step-overs.

Most managers want players who will work hard, can keep possession, and keep the shape of the team. King, Hammond, Nugent, Vardy etc.

The people who don’t rate King are usually the same who think Knockaert should replace him in centre midfield or that Nugent doesn’t score enough goals!

Very well put, what he did really well on Saturday was keep the ball moving, he never stopped moving, and nor did the ball, he just played it into the gaps in front of him and this meant Everton's midfield was constantly being dragged around. they couldn't cut out the passes and the constant movement created space for the runners. 

simple footballing basics played and used to great effect, long may it continue.

Every player has their off days, but some players get away with it more than others.

Some fans seem to have jumped on his back when he's had an off day but it's clear to see that he'll be giving good competition to DD and James (and whoever NP brings in) this season. Was absolutely brilliant on Saturday as was most of our team and realistically there was nothing anyone could do about both of their goals.

Nearly Flawless, yet, people still don't rate him.....

Errr the people some people haven't rated him is because he's often let games pass him by. If he performed like that all the time, people would be praising him, as they have done that performance.

Think he will have a very big role to play this season. If he performs like this consistently then Drinks and James will almost certainly be fighting for one berth in the starting line-up, which can only be a good thing. We need competition like this in all positions to keep players on their toes - you can bet James and Drinkwater will be training a lot harder once they're fit again after seeing that performance.

Long live the King.

I remember after the dreaded Watford game, we were downhearted, but people kept speaking about the emergence of the possible James & King partnership.

Unfortunately he didn't recover his form of the previous season, and with Drinkwater hitting form practically all season, he never had a look in.

Maybe this season it could be different.

Errr the people some people haven't rated him is because he's often let games pass him by. If he performed like that all the time, people would be praising him, as they have done that performance.

Yeah I've got to agree with this. I've never slated the lad but the amount of praise he is receiving for one game is quite embarrassing.  

Yeah I've got to agree with this. I've never slated the lad but the amount of praise he is receiving for one game is quite embarrassing.

I wouldn't say embarrassing although I can see what you mean. Personally I love King. He's been almost consistently one of our best players for 5 or 6 years. Scores goals (some great goals) from midfield, captained the club and has been through everything we have as fans. All the while getting slated on here for not much reason whatsoever.

Think he deserves all the praise he gets now we've finally stepped up to the big league and the best player (imo) on our side was King, an academy graduate who helped us win league one, dominated two different play off second legs and both ended in cruel heartbreak, and then lost his place in the team just when we were in a feel good mood moving on up.

Praise him, I say.

I wouldn't say embarrassing although I can see what you mean. Personally I love King. He's been almost consistently one of our best players for 5 or 6 years. Scores goals (some great goals) from midfield, captained the club and has been through everything we have as fans. All the while getting slated on here for not much reason whatsoever.

Think he deserves all the praise he gets now we've finally stepped up to the big league and the best player (imo) on our side was King, an academy graduate who helped us win league one, dominated two different play off second legs and both ended in cruel heartbreak, and then lost his place in the team just when we were in a feel good mood moving on up.

Praise him, I say.

Well yeah praise him for the performance but people have to get carried away don't they and some of those comments are cringe worthy OTT.

I, for instance, would certainly stop short of comparing him to Frank Lampard and claiming anyone who has the nerve to suggest he isn't going to be good enough for this level is clearly wrong. There have been plenty of players who have looked good for a handful of games at this level who are in fact, completely shit, so keep the praise realistic. 

But yes hopefully he can carry on like that and actually warrant praise on the above scale!

Delighted for King.

Stuck with us through thick and thin, deserves his crack at the prem with us and contrary to belief will give absolutely 100% in every game.

There were some doubts over whether he could make the step up (myself included) and even after one game he's proved he can do it against one of the best club teams in England.

Not only is it great for him but it's great for the confidence of us all knowing that if Drinky or James are out, Kingy is competent enough and will put in a performance for us.

Well yeah praise him for the performance but people have to get carried away don't they and some of those comments are cringe worthy OTT.

I, for instance, would certainly stop short of comparing him to Frank Lampard and claiming anyone who has the nerve to suggest he isn't going to be good enough for this level is clearly wrong. There have been plenty of players who have looked good for a handful of games at this level who are in fact, completely shit, so keep the praise realistic. 

But yes hopefully he can carry on like that and actually warrant praise on the above scale!

I don't think anyone's said that he's as good as Frank Lampard, or even that he will ever hit those heights. All people have done is say that his style of play is quite similar, in the same way that people said last season that Drinkwater's style of play is similar to Paul Scholes'.

There's a big difference between comparing the style of two players and comparing their respective ability.

Archived