Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

The Trews - anyone?

Ok, im pretty late to this, but i couldnt see it mentioned anywhere else so i thought id pop  it in here.

Does anyone watch The Trews - by Russel Brand? Im well aware of some peoples opinion of Brand, but from what i know, he speaks sense and logic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJe-bCstAtg&list=UUswH8ovgUp5Bdg-0_JTYFNw

Am I the only one who think it's pretty poor?  

Most of the time, he's attacking the style of reporting by Fox News, which is a bit like shooting fish in a barrel.  It doesn't make him a great thinker.  That's a bit like me colouring in a picture and trying to present myself as Van Gogh.

The biggest letdown of it is that he's putting out opinion pieces, presenting them as the truth, in a format that doesn't really allow for debate or challenging of his views.  For example, his opinions on ISIS and Iraq, flippantly dismissing beheadings and mass murder as wrong, but ultimately leaving thousands of innocent people to face it alone.  I'd like to see him have a debate with more knowledgeable commentators on the subject, who have studied the region or have first hand experience of what's going on, to challenge his views.  He doesn't do this and so in the end, his videos become a version of Fox News, the thing he is supposed to be rallying against, just tilted to his opinions.

Watched the first five minutes of the video posted and he has done very little other than make cheap sarcastic comments regarding the presenters style and he has occasionally veered off into totally unrelated subjects. He has barely said anything of any substance that's relevant to the report so, it feels very much like a waste of time to me.

I'll watch some more later but I suspect it's just going to be typical Brand - very shallow thinking delivered in a colourful way that fools people of limited intelligence into thinking he is making worthwhile points. He obviously sees himself as a Will Hunting type character but unfortunately his intellect doesn't quite make the grade, far from it, in fact.

Watched the first five minutes of the video posted and he has done very little other than make cheap sarcastic comments regarding the presenters style and he has occasionally veered off into totally unrelated subjects. He has barely said anything of any substance that's relevant to the report so, it feels very much like a waste of time to me.

I'll watch some more later but I suspect it's just going to be typical Brand - very shallow thinking delivered in a colourful way that fools people of limited intelligence into thinking he is making worthwhile points. He obviously sees himself as a Will Hunting type character but unfortunately his intellect doesn't quite make the grade, far from it, in fact.

I think that's just a way of marketing himself in a way in which audience want to see him. I imagine you have no intention of ever doing so, but his 'Messiah Complex' stand up was fantastic, he will always be ridiculed because of his background and history. But, his ability to make the so called 'people of limited intelligence' spark an interest in important matters alone surely highlights that he's doing something right?

I think that's just a way of marketing himself in a way in which audience want to see him. I imagine you have no intention of ever doing so, but his 'Messiah Complex' stand up was fantastic, he will always be ridiculed because of his background and history. But, his ability to make the so called 'people of limited intelligence' spark an interest in important matters alone surely highlights that he's doing something right?

Important matters like the pronunciation of a presenter on fox news? I'm not hugely knowledgeable about American television, but isn't fox news considered a bit of a joke anyway? Quite an easy target and even then he resorts to cheap sarcasm. I'll watch some more to see if he brings anything more to the table, but so far it's coming across like something I'd expect from a teenage liberal arts student who has just watched the news for the first time in his life.

Important matters like the pronunciation of a presenter on fox news? I'm not hugely knowledgeable about American television, but isn't fox news considered a bit of a joke anyway? Quite an easy target and even then he resorts to cheap sarcasm. I'll watch some more to see if he brings anything more to the table, but so far it's coming across like something I'd expect from a teenage liberal arts student who has just watched the news for the first time in his life.

Sadly it's not a joke when so many people believe what it says.

I was referring more to the state of Israel etc. I don't think he or any of the viewers are under an illusion that his videos are anything more than his interpretation and thoughts of the weeks events; if that happens to raise debate and conversation over the topics discussed then he has succeeded.

I watch it whenever it's on a topic that interests me. He is kind of laughed off due to his past but is very rare that I disagree with something he says.

I went to see the Messiah Complex live and it was the best stand up show I've ever been to.

I was referring more to the state of Israel etc. I don't think he or any of the viewers are under an illusion that his videos are anything more than his interpretation and thoughts of the weeks events; if that happens to raise debate and conversation over the topics discussed then he has succeeded.

Except that he doesn't enter into debate or conversation himself.  Instead, his format seems to be mocking Fox News, with a few minutes interspersed of him presenting his opinion as if he has some in depth knowledge of the situation.  

To be honest, it's a slap in the face of real investigative journalists who check their sources and investigate situations thoroughly before writing an article.  His investigative knowledge is based on checking out a few websites and youtube clips a la El Empty style.  

He is just creating his own version of Fox News, low brow and poor.

Except that he doesn't enter into debate or conversation himself. Instead, his format seems to be mocking Fox News, with a few minutes interspersed of him presenting his opinion as if he has some in depth knowledge of the situation.

To be honest, it's a slap in the face of real investigative journalists who check their sources and investigate situations thoroughly before writing an article. His investigative knowledge is based on checking out a few websites and youtube clips a la El Empty style.

He is just creating his own version of Fox News, low brow and poor.

Agreed. Almost drew the El empty/bone dog comparison myself. Willing victims of confirmation bias, makes them look poorly educated.

'True News' merged together.

Eurgh! that is reason enough alone not to watch it.

I can never make my mind up about Brand, he is a smart guy and talks sense sometimes, but he also sounds like a twat at the same time using words he clearly doesn't understand and in the wrong context, but they sound good, so he thinks it makes himself sound intelligent rather than obfuscating his point.

I find him much more tolerable when reading what he has to say rather than listening to him, but that might also be his ridiculous voice and mannerisms.

I think it is a shame he decided to become a caricature of himself rather than continue from where I first saw him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbAKUdEWzq8

Very weird to watch this as I went to school with Mark Collett.

Brand exaggerates his personality to get attention, which has worked and he now has a number of platforms to speak on but perversely if he didn't act like such a tit he would probably have more credibility but a smaller crowd to preach to.

I'm on a tablet atm so I can't really hear it. I'll check it out tonight.

I've listened, what a twat. I'm saying that not based on his history but the fact he's spouting shit. If that's what passes for intelligent comment these days then god help us.

Very in depth review of the posted video Webbo

What do you want me to say? Making sarcastic comments about how a certain person speaks is hardly a sign of a brilliant mind? Should I point out that he totally incorrect to say NATO encroached on Russian territory?

Archived