Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stuliasz

Arsenal (H) 1-1 : Player Ratings & Man of the Match

I saw somebody said that Nugent 'terrorised' Arsenal. Excuse me?

He worked hard but no harder than Ulloa or any other forward would have done today.

His slow build-up play held us back and his curling shot was going wide before the block.

Clearly didn't watch the game then - whenever their defence got the ball, he was on their feet in seconds. He didn't give them a moments rest and gave them a lot of problems.

Schmeichel 7 - Didn't cover himself in glory for the goal but came up trumps later in the second half with a couple of good saves.

De Laet 8 - Man of the match for me (just). Had a difficult first half but had Sanchez in his pocket in the second half.

Morgan 8 - Man mountain. Much better than I thought he would be at this level (and I didn't exactly think he would struggle). 

Moore 7 - Also looks at home at this level.

Konchesky 7 - Three really solid performances from him so far.

Mahrez 6.5 - Going forward, great, albeit he did make a couple of strange choices. Defensively I thought he was poor - he messed about with the ball on the edge of our penalty area 3 or 4 times which almost led us into trouble, which is something he and Knockaert both need to cut out. 

King 7.5 - A really good first half but disappeared for long spells in the second, which is hardly surprising given Arsenal's total control of the game with their 5 in the midfield.

Hammond 5 - Wasn't up to it today. Spent the entire first half chasing shadows, committing fouls and not looking anywhere near the pace of the game. Second half he improved a lot though and was possibly the pick of our centre mids after the break.

Schlupp 7 - Produced the worst cross I have ever seen followed by one of the best. I'd like to see him bolder in taking players on.

Nugent 7 - Worked his nuts off.

Ulloa 7.5 - Great header, unlucky not to get 2.

subs:

Albrighton 4 - Slowed down our counter-attacks, crossed poorly and didn't even touch it for about the first 10 minutes he was on.

Drinkwater 5.5 - Careless. One decent-ish shot wide.

Vardy 7 - Missed him massively.

Maybe my ratings are on the high side but I couldn't fault anyone today.

Kasper - 8 - Few good saves and great kicking

De Laet - 8 - Great shift, did what he had to do

Morgan - 9 - Monster

Moore - 9 - Monster

Konchesky - 8 - See De Laet

Mahrez - 7 - Flair but wasteful

King - 9 - Worked unbelievably hard and was disciplined

Hammond - 9 - See above

Schlupp - 9 - Did his defensive duties and showed quality for the cross

Ulloa - 9 - Fantastic at both ends, yes he missed a good chance but created it himself, leader at the back!

Nugent - 9 - Worked unbelievably hard, great link up play

Albrighton - 6 - Off the pace

Vardy - 7 - Caused problems

Drinkwater - 6 - Struggled to get into the game

Kasper - 7

De laet - 6.5

Morgan - 9

Moore -9

Konch - 8

Mahrez - 8

Hammond - 7

King - 8

Schlupp - 7.5

Nuge - 8

Ulloa - 9

Subs

DD - 6

Albrighton - 5

Vardy - 6

Class result, work rate phenomenal. Not sure about all this ' De Laet was excellent ' chat. Thought he was always too far away from his man which allowed them to turn. He was always looking over his shoulder for his man not knowing where he was. Slightly worries he could cost us in future. The rest were outstanding. UTF

Absolutely disbelief at people criticising Mahrez defensively today. He worked his socks off.

Some fans.....

There's a difference between working hard and defending well. 

He did a good job in supporting De Laet physically but I thought his decision making was pretty poor in defensive positions.

There's a difference between working hard and defending well.

He did a good job in supporting De Laet physically but I thought his decision making was pretty poor in defensive positions.

He worked hard and defended well. Can't remember a single ball he gave away in a defensive position? Besides, he's in the team to create which he does well.

Absolute class act

A bit too many 9s in people's ratings for my liking. It wasn't an outstanding performance from everybody. Granted, we played very well and kept a composed shape, yet such high ratings usually warrant a performance of a lifetime. If at all, I'd give every single player a "solid+". ;)

My MOTM goes to Leonardo Ulloa. Not just because of the goal - he did a great job helping out further in the back, winning one-on-ones and just for being a general nuisance.

The only "low" ratings go to Schmeichel (didn't really have a lot to do), Hammond (some tactical fouls are great, too many fouls a sign of a player not being able to cope) and Albrighton (didn't have the desired impact as a sub), all of which got a 6 from me.

Think people are being harsh on Hammond and King in this instance. 

Saying they had a quiet game and didn't create much, but look what they stopped from creating - Cazorla, Ramsey, Ozil and Sanchez were not overly influential at all, mostly down to the tireless performance these pair put in. 

I gotta say I thought konchesky was brilliant. Tireless effort. 90+ minutes he was still getting up the pitch

I think it definitely helps that schlupp can slot into left back so easily but still a top performance from a player people (myself included) had reservations of if he could still cut it at the top level.

Schmeichel - 8 - Wasn't tested too much, but great save from Sanogo.

Konch - 8 - His experience is proving vital. Calm and in-control at all times.

Morgan - 9 - Monster.

Moore - 8 - He looks comfortable at this level. England senior cap calling?

De Laet - 6 - Ball-watching for their goal and his shakiness causes panic in the defence. Much better last 20 minutes.

Schlupp - 8 - Superb cross and some quality moments. Still the odd error, but he's young and despite of these offers us so much on the counter.

King - 8 - Extra point for the sheer work rate.

Hammond - 8 - As above. Some of his tackling was vital at times.

Mahrez - 8 - Greedy at times but you let him off as he causes the opposition all sorts of problems.

Nugent - 6 - It's like playing with 10 men after 70 mins of every match, he was spent. Worked very hard but at this level he looks very slow and doesn't offer much goal-scoring threat.

Ulloa - 8 - Immense. Should have had two, but his first touch, flick-ons, work rate and movement were first class.

Subs:

Albrighton - 6 - Didn't do a great deal.

Vardy - 7 - God I've missed this man.

Drinky - 7 - Did what was needed during a frantic closing stages.

Funny old game ain't it.

I really thought carefully and put my scores in.

I feel I have a pretty good take on football. Played at a good level as a kid, played at Uni, been watching City since I was 8 (now 53), I've ran kids teams for 25 years. Watch football pretty much whenever I can. You know, all the usual baggage of someone who dreamed of playing for City but didn't make it.

After putting my scores in I scrolled down the various comments. Its amazing how different peoples views are (including mine), there is a massive range of opinions on Hammond for example.

It just goes to show how varied opinions can be. We are all City fans, we've watched the same game and yet we can have such a varied view of the game, atmosphere and players performances.

I love football.

Funny old game ain't it.

I really thought carefully and put my scores in.

I feel I have a pretty good take on football. Played at a good level as a kid, played at Uni, been watching City since I was 8 (now 53), I've ran kids teams for 25 years. Watch football pretty much whenever I can. You know, all the usual baggage of someone who dreamed of playing for City but didn't make it.

After putting my scores in I scrolled down the various comments. Its amazing how different peoples views are (including mine), there is a massive range of opinions on Hammond for example.

It just goes to show how varied opinions can be. We are all City fans, we've watched the same game and yet we can have such a varied view of the game, atmosphere and players performances.

I love football.

They're the definition of being subjective carrying everyones subconscious preduces and made worse by many now based on tv and streams.

Archived