Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

Jeffrey Schlupp...yes or no?

I noticed over the summer that some doubt remains regarding the ability of young Jeff to really cement a first team place. Especially, at left back. Indeed, it was that position that most forum members wanted strengthening.

I personally think Jeff Schlupp needs to be in our first team. If you watch Ulloa's goal today, I suggest that probably only Schlupp, out of the players in our team, could have made it for him. The give and go, the pace to get down the flank and the delicious cross into the danger area was quality. It was about pace and strength.

On the downside, it's a bloody shame that Jeff isn't more consistent. Sometimes I'm not sure even he knows what he's gonna do!

What do people think of Schlupp? Can he be left back? Is he better as a left sided midfielder? Should he play over Knockaert and Albrighton?

Opinions please...

He is so much better attacking as a winger than as a full back, he is perfectly suited for the winger role and I think he will excel in that position provided he has a solid LB behind him in Konchesky their is no better for us.

I have serious doubts about his technical ability, that cross was fantastic but it was a rarity for him which is unfortunate because we'd have a great player on our hands if he was a little better on the ball.

He's adjusted to first left back and now left wing pretty well, showed his pace and power at times today as well as the potential for a cracking final ball. He puts in a shift wherever he plays and is very disciplined and can stick to a plan well. Great player to have in the squad, especially one from the academy. Think atm he's justifying his place at left wing, though should Konch get injured/out of form I'd trust him to slot in comfortably at LB. 

Jeff's worked his way into the team and deserves his spot there. The big thing he needs to work on is composure, he seems to lose his head more often than not when he gets into good positions. This was demonstrated against Everton by the Row Z shot when clean through, and today with the cross he put into the stands, although this was more than made up for by his cross for the goal.

In short, he has the talent, but just needs the confidence to use it at the right moments.

I'm afraid the kind of quality which led to Ulloa's goal is not often replicated by Schlupp.  He is a frustrating player who seems to have had potential for ever.  He often does something really well to only blow it moments later.

I personally do not think he is good enough to be first choice for any position, but as long as Pearson keeps picking him, I will keep cheering him.

Jeff's worked his way into the team and deserves his spot there. The big thing he needs to work on is composure, he seems to lose his head more often than not when he gets into good positions. This was demonstrated against Everton by the Row Z shot when clean through, and today but the cross he put into the stands, although this was more than made up for by his cross for the goal.

In short, he has the talent, but just needs the confidence to use it at the right moments.

I fully agree. Jeff's composure and decision-making is his main weakness IMO.

Technically, he isn't great. However, I think he is much better as a winger. He can defend fairly well, and has pace and energy to spare. However, it also means that it isn't as costly when he makes the odd hiccup, which he is prone to do. His pace also gives them a lot to think about.

Lloyd Dyer Mark II.

Said to so many friends that he's still a raw talent that just needs certain parts of his game refining, his pace and strength are his main assets at the minute and one can only guess the coaching team will be trying to help with his decision making and finishing as the season goes on. Things to work on but he's a young lad and hopefully having Phillips around coaching him can help with his composure and consistency

he has everything Lloyd Dyer has with the added ability to cross, how many of you were wanking regularly over Lloyd last season? Jeff deserves his place in the team, needs to work on his consistency but that'll come with games

He's a full back. I understand why Pearson has played him to help Konchesky double up against the big sides, given his lack of pace.

Though he's not good enough to be an outright attacker at this level. His cross today was good but his end product is otherwise sub par compared to our other attacking options.

Im more inclined to say no, but you cant bring up many faults with him so far this season, and today he had a very decent game. Perfect work for the goal too. There are aspects of his game that frustrate me like the lack of end product at times, intelligence perhaps but you can level that at at Knockaert too who for me gives away silly free kicks and will always throw a headless chicken spell into a game as well. Ill reserve judgement on Albrighton so far but he looks like he will be the bitpart player.

Deffo keep him in the side. He seems to be getting better and better after every game.

His pace is his main asset and that's what we need out wide. Brilliant to see he's worked on his defending because he was brilliant at that today. Hope he improves on his finishing. Still can't get that 1 on 1 against Everton out my head where he ballooned it into row z.

I'm afraid the kind of quality which led to Ulloa's goal is not often replicated by Schlupp.  He is a frustrating player who seems to have had potential for ever.  He often does something really well to only blow it moments later.

I personally do not think he is good enough to be first choice for any position, but as long as Pearson keeps picking him, I will keep cheering him.

he's 21 ffs

I really like the combination between himself and Konchesky on the left wing. Work really well in tandem as if Konchesky wants to bomb forward then Schlupp will simply drop into the LB role so that we still have our back 4 in place. As a defensive unit it's a very good option against teams with strong wingers such as Chelsea and Arsenal. 

By himself, Schlupp has impressed me so far, his end product hasn't been the best so far (apart from his cross today) but he's still quite young and practice during training will improve that for me. His pace will cause every full back in the league a problem, much like Dyer did last year. 

He's a full back. I understand why Pearson has played him to help Konchesky double up against the big sides, given his lack of pace.

Though he's not good enough to be an outright attacker at this level. His cross today was good but his end product is otherwise sub par compared to our other attacking options.

really? we all love Mahrez and Knocky but how often do they actually put a good cross in? far far less then people would realise

Today he did some fantastic things but also did some bad things.

That cross early in the first half (not the assist for Ulloa), was as poor as you're likely to see then he goes and picks out the perfect cross 10 mins later. 

His pace is going to be a real asset especially because we play very counter attacking football so yes I think he deserves a place in the team, he just needs to start getting rid of the silly mistakes.

I think he has played very well, and it's obvious having him play LM has helped Konch perform well too. Where does he see himself though?

And more importantly, what are Nige's plans for the left-side? Konch and Schlupp against more attacking sides/ Schlupp & Knocky/Mahrez/Albrighton against 'lesser' sides?

Archived