Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

Jeffrey Schlupp...yes or no?

Great player in aiting got to work on his deliveries and produce cross like todays every game 90% of the time but the way he plays out of defence and runs down the wing helps us out no end - so his attacking play should not be the only question - in this sense he´s a YES for me. Keep him in the starting XI and let´s see

The attempted cross prior to the cross that lead to the goal was poor when he tried to volley it over the top. I think we will need to learn while he is still learning to accept the good with the bad.

Thought his defensive work and tracking back was really good today and he has alot of potential for the future.

wow he's put in one good cross in 4 years and now he's a left footed David beckham first name on the team sheet best winger in the league. love this forum.

he strikes me as a bit of an idiot football wise, doesn't seem to take up clever positions or play clever passes, but when he's running he's running and when he gets a cross/shot or whatever he's trying to do right then it's nice to see. he just doesn't do that very often, although tbf if he did he wouldn't be playing for us no more

Have to agree with others with regards to his end product, his cross for Ulloa today was fantastic but one swallow doesn't make a summer (oo-er) and it is something he needs to improve if he's to become an outright attacker. He offers heaps defensively though and is definitely in the squad on merit, also think he's sparking up a very tidy little understanding with Konch. He's done excellently so far.

**Loved his reaction to the equaliser too.

I mentioned a while back that he'd be decent on the wing and the position really suits him.

Gives Konch a decent amount of protection and drops in when Konch goes attacking. Still a bit raw and rough around the edges but that will come in time.

Strong and quick with a good attacking mind he's got all the tools to be successful. A decent prospect as he's still quite young too.

A lot of pace but it is very rare that he has the confidence to go past people, he had the beating of the Arsenal defence all game. His decision making is often poor but he's still young though. Seems a bit disinterested and lazy at times which is annoying.

I think he has done well so far. I'd like to see him continue and grow in to the position. I'm sure he has been feeling the pressure when he gets into those great runs and final position, leading to less than desirable end product, except THAT cross of course. A few more games and he'll be more settled.

I'm happy for Jeff, he's obviously got quality.

Remember the player that got absolutely berated at Yeovil away for jogging around?

Credit to him and Liam for their hard work, but also the coaching staff. If their hard work and the staff were non existent, both of those players would have slipped into George Taft territory.

Keep it up, Jeff

Lenny Glover, Farrington, jackie Sinclair, Walcott, Townsend, Willie Morgan, S.Lynex...G.Hurst, Gary Lineker.

All started out as Wingmen, some played all their career there, some famously changed.

In fact our own Gary spent more time on his arse than he did crossing a ball, but then funny things happened , they got past the age of 21-22, Then they all showed what they could do.

So lets not yet get dispondent, or carried away, pessimistic, or over zealous, lets give young Schlupp some time and importantly support and encouragement especially on off days.By the end of season we will be seeing a different Jeff, or as the world moves on NP will be backing him or will not be picking him .

I am sure G.Lineker today would of got massacred on this site, before he took that notch up.

I mentioned a while back that he'd be decent on the wing and the position really suits him.

Gives Konch a decent amount of protection and drops in when Konch goes attacking. Still a bit raw and rough around the edges but that will come in time.

Strong and quick with a good attacking mind he's got all the tools to be successful. A decent prospect as he's still quite young too.

Yeah noticed this a couple of times. Would a Knockaert or Mahrez have the awareness to do this? 

Decent defensive minded option for left mid. He offered konch loads of support yesterday and used his pace well to get us up the field. Lacks a little composure the likes of mahrez have, but a excellent option and asset nonetheless..

Played Jeff.

Yeah noticed this a couple of times. Would a Knockaert or Mahrez have the awareness to do this?

Mahrez was doing it constantly yesterday, like Jeff, always talking to RDL doubling up at the back stopping us getting exposed. He may not be as good in the tackle as Jeff but he did his job defending the right and won the ball back a few times.

Mind you....a good thread to open, its also interesting to see many posters have mellowed, and have realised, that it is wiser

to give players a chance and encourage, and not barge in slating every single lost ball.

Nothing wrong in pointing out errors or negative play, and wanting to see improvement,not forgetting ALL players, give the ball away that creates oppostion goals, or puts them back on the attack, or leaves, their team mates stranded.....It is over a course of a season, or 10-15 games when we all rightly would say,..no theres improvement, or he hasnt learnt and cannot now make the grade, or needs a few games, in the reserves, or on loan.Plus that sprinkle of motivation,.....COMPETITION for place.

Give him games and his confidence will grow. He and Konchesky seem to work quite well together and Schlupp's got the pace and strength to be an asset even when he's not being that effective with the ball. But no-one should doubt that he can be effective - both creativily and as a finisher. Yesterday's cross was just what he needed. That and playing his part in a fine all-round team performance against quality opposition. Time now for him to make the consistent impact that his promise indicates. A "yes" for me. More than useful already and with a good chance of getting better.  

He’s clearly good enough. It's not even a debate. Ridiculous.

He's a lot better than Knockaert at the moment, and based on what I’ve seen so far of Albrighton he is currently much better than Albrighton too. So definitely worth his place in the team.

One thing that Schlupp does consistently well is relieve pressure on the defence by running the ball 40 or 50 yards upfield. His pace also allows us to play a few long-passes over the top which really helps our counter-attacking game.

No he’s not the finished article but he’s 21!!  

Weird how all the doubters who confidently predicted that Schlupp wasn’t even good enough to be in a lower-half Premiership squad are now debating  his performances against Everton, Arsenal and Chelsea!!

It's a yes for me .....

Of course he's frustrating sometimes .... His decision making and his composure sometimes badly let him down .... but he's 21!!!!

At 23 with a couple of years in the prem under his belt and he'll be awesome.

agree with ^^

Big fan of Schlupp personally. Only three games in but it could end up with Schlupp and Albrighton fighting for the same place going forward if NP continues to choose either Knocky or Mahrez on the other side.

I thought he was very good yesterday, raw pace will scare defenders and it worked to an extent yesterday. Stick with him and help him develop.

Yes, on balance. Needs to work on his decision making and his inconsistency (his first two crosses were ridiculous then sublime). I just want him to run at people more, he's got the pace and good close control skills.

There's enough to work with in him to see a good player.

When it comes to running at people he has a problem. He's a responsible player - a team player through and through like King. Jeff will be aware that losing the ball is a cardinal sin in the Premiership - particularly outside the front third.

Working with Konchesky he gets the support of a runner and of back-up and there's every indication this partnership could flourish. With more understanding should come more adventure.

In contrast, Knockaert gives the ball away far too much and, in doing so, can easily put several colleagues in the sort of mess that's likely to be exploited far more readily in the Premiership than at a lower level.        

When it comes to running at people he has a problem. He's a responsible player - a team player through and through like King. Jeff will be aware that losing the ball is a cardinal sin in the Premiership - particularly outside the front third.

Working with Konchesky he gets the support of a runner and of back-up and there's every indication this partnership could flourish. With more understanding should come more adventure.

In contrast, Knockaert gives the ball away far too much and, in doing so, can easily put several colleagues in the sort of mess that's likely to be exploited far more readily in the Premiership than at a lower level.        

I agree, it seemed noticeable that the players seemed concerned about losing the ball and appeared inhibited in the first half. They seemed more comfortable in the second half as shown by Mahrez skipping past three players at one point and De Laet bombing forward in the last minute.

Archived