Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cjslcfc

This Summer's Transfer Business

New signings:

Ben Hamer (free)

Marc Albrighton (free)

Matt Upson (free)

Leo Ulloa (£7-8m)

Esteban Cambiasso (free)

Danny Simpson (£2-3m)

Tom Lawrence (£1m)

Nick Powell (loan)

Kris Scott

Louis Rowley

Jack Barmby

Overall strengthened the squad nicely and created some good competition. Maybe could have got another CB due to Upson's injury but overall very very happy with the business done. Especially considering where we were sitting a couple of weeks ago.

Well done Nige and the team   :pearson:

Thoughts on our signings? Happy? Disappointed? Felt we could have done more?

I think we already had the core of a decent squad and as already said the players signed add vital competition in different areas.

I personally think Hamer has looked poor but I'm happy with all the others, whilst also pleased we are competitively investing in our youth system again after many years of failing to do so.

Great work by Nige, no panic buys and didn't get caught up in the whole over hyping of the deadline day!

11 million all in for those players is great, added experience and quality and some talented younger players hungry to get some playing time, I think this will be more than enough with players coming back from injury to see us do well until January where Nige can reassess out options and see if anyone else needs to be brought in!

2 first team starters (Ulloa and Cambiasso)

3 first team subs who will see significant time (Powell, Simpson, Albrighton)

3 players who should see time in the squad (Lawrence, Hamer, Upson)

Lots of youth talent for the future.

Good business for the amount spent, I reckon.

gonna be strange seeing so many new faces on the pitch and some famliliar favorites on the bench

the competition for places is going to be very very tough - which is great

Powell & Lawrence - looks like the new boys are winger playmakers who can score from range and dribble past a defence

in the mix with Nuge, Vardy and Ulloa

with our proven best players coming back from injury Drinky, James

and our what were backup players shining on the field  King, Hammond, Schlupp (even an assist finally)

Moore, Morgan & Konch playing out of their skin and RDL now with Simpson backup looked better this week

Not even to mention Cambiasso / Albrighton who have yet to show what they can do

could we ask for more ? guess that rotation system is gonna happen more n more

I am smiling from ear to ear - bring on the Stoke n Manu the #lcfc prem qual squad has arrived

Good squad we have.  God knows what our first choice eleven is at the mo.  does it include simspon, cambiasso, powell and albrighton?  do they replace rdl, james, nugent, and knockeart?

kasper

simpson morgan moore konchesky

mahrez cambiasso drinkwater albrighton

powell

ullua

Good squad we have. God knows what our first choice eleven is at the mo. does it include simspon, cambiasso, powell and albrighton? do they replace rdl, james, nugent, and knockeart?

kasper

simpson morgan moore konchesky

mahrez cambiasso drinkwater albrighton

powell

ullua

I'd say our starting 11 is still:

Kasper

de Laet - Morgan - Moore - Konchesky

Mahrez - James - Drinkwater - Schlupp

Nugent

Vardy

But Cambiasso's a strange one because I've read time and time again that any pace he's ever had has completely left him but that he still plays the role behind the central midfield pairing and defends really well, but now that we've got Powell in for the same role that Nugent serves, I'm struggling to work out where he'll be put? Surely he's not going to break apart our successful central pair from last year?

And Ulloa's another one. Though he's been great so far I still want Vardy to play ahead of him currently, because he was so fantastic last year and I feel like he threatens whenever he's able to run, but without Ulloa we'll probably look significantly worse defending set pieces given his work there and he's brilliant at getting on the end of crosses and has an incredible first touch

excellent summer for signings - great value.

We seem to have 2 players for every position in our 25 man squad with GTF and Hammond as extras.

Nigel obviously was in for another forward which the club failed to land.

I think we've got a great squad that could push the top 10

Arguably our best business was zero sales of our best players and not only that but signing them up to new deals, this should not be overlooked!

Cover for Schmeichel was critical as was cover for RDL, adding strength to midfield and another option upfront. In the likes of Cambiasso & Ulloa we've done all that.

Great business, with the only failure being to add a forward that Nige obviously wanted, someone like Deeney the only blackspot

I'd say our starting 11 is still:

Kasper

de Laet - Morgan - Moore - Konchesky

Mahrez - James - Drinkwater - Schlupp

Nugent

Vardy

Completely agree

I think James & Drinkwater would allow us to impose our game on teams better, even if we play the same dropping off tactics that we have with King & Hammond in this tough run of games. Cambiasso allows us to make a defensive change from the bench that Hammond was used for in the past, however he's been exceptional this season & will take some displacing, as will King.

I don't know a great deal about Powell but it's hard to imagine anyone doing what Nugent did against Arsenal as effectively, he gave Metersacker & Chambers a torrid time & never allowed them to make a composed pass Arsenal needed, he also dropped deep & did the same job on Flamini (who otherwise would have ran the match pulling Ozil & Carzola's strings)

Ulloa is critical to the tactics we need though, in a majority of games we're going to have to drop off, which means we need someone who can hold the ball up to enable us to get numbers in attack. Like you said, he's also proved excellent at defending set-plays which looking at how bad we were last season is even more important now

However, I now feel we can make great changes from the bench which is incredibly important to win points.

What's also striking is the amount of English talent in that squad now - feels like two thirds are home-grown. That's very impressive for a top flight side (even though we've just been promoted). All the other players from abroad complement the rest very well and looking at that players' list, I can't help but feel very content and eager for Pearson to prove that you can hold up your own with a lot of "natives". :D

Makes for a nice change in this ocean of imports where the name sometimes counts for more than the actual footballing ability.

Well done to the responsibles at the club for sticking to that strategy.

A good set of acquisitions. Added youth, experience and potential. And all at a very sensible total price. My only surprise/anxiety is that we didn't add another definite starter to the squad. Only Ulloa seems to be in that category. (If NP is the manager I believe him to be then even Cambiasso isn't in that category). If we continue as we've started, it won't be a problem. If we get on a run of defeats, we might be a little short in the 'here-and-now'. As squads go, I think we are still bottom 6. But, thankfully, final position is about so much more than just the talent on the payroll.

Disappointed we have strengthened more at CB. M and M have been awesome so far but an injury to either worries me, especially with Upson still out.

Plenty of options elsewhere hopefully Nige can keep them all happy. The mixture of youth and experience should mean nobody feels they have a right to be starting.

Real shame we aren't still in the league cup to give some of these players more game time, hopefully we will be taking the FA cup seriously although by then we will have already had the Jan window.

Exciting times to be a Leicester fan.

Archived