Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vardinhio

Thailand Murders

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2756102/Koh-Tao-English-woman-raped-murdered-alongside-body-male-Irish-friend-Thai-beach.html

Male and female in their early twenties murdered on Koh Tao. I believe the girl was raped too. The press think this will hit tourism quite badly. Would it stop you from going? As someone considering going in the next few years it is concerning that violent crime over there seems to be on the up.

Crime against tourists happens all over the world, I've been to Thailand a number of times, never felt threatened and would go again, even with all their political problems. 

ditto.

only been once but can't wait to go back.

Been three times and never once felt unsafe. It's well documented that a lot of violent crime against British tourists has been on Koh Phangan during the full moon parties (usually robberies by Thai gangs who have the old bill in their back pockets).

It's horrific what has happened and as volatile as the political situation is right now, as soon as it starts to affect tourist revenue the Thai police force and government will do everything in their power to get to the person or people responsible for these murders and try to ensure nothing like this happens again in such a well known destination.

No, it would't stop me from going, although I do think some tourists are very naive and really do put themselves at risk by making some stupid decisions (not that there's any evidence that was the case with this pair). 

It always seems whenever someone bad happens in Thailand the news like to report on it. Maybe because so many English go out there? Never been so not really going to comment but I imagine it's like most places in terms of crime balance. 

Do agree with AOWW that certain people seem to put themselves at risk though. Not relating to this, but in general.

It always seems whenever someone bad happens in Thailand the news like to report on it. Maybe because so many English go out there? Never been so not really going to comment but I imagine it's like most places in terms of crime balance. 

Do agree with AOWW that certain people seem to put themselves at risk though. Not relating to this, but in general.

Bad news sells papers (especially the Mail) and they do love a scare story about Brits abroad.

No, it would't stop me from going, although I do think some tourists are very naive and really do put themselves at risk by making some stupid decisions (not that there's any evidence that was the case with this pair).

Very true. Myself included in this, have put myself in some ridiculous situations abroad that I would never dream of over here.

That said Thailand is generally a very safe place for serious crimes like this, awful to see two young lives cut so short.

Bad news sells papers (especially the Mail) and they do love a scare story about Brits abroad.

You really think the papers shouldn't repot this? Of course they should, nothing to do with scare stories.

You really think the papers shouldn't repot this? Of course they should, nothing to do with scare stories.

Not what I said. Horrible thing to happen of course, but we do seem to be developing a morbid fascination with this kind of story and every gory detail.

Not what I said. Horrible thing to happen of course, but we do seem to be developing a morbid fascination with this kind of story and every gory detail.

Really? I thought the newspaper coverage has been quite placid considering. (probably because Scotland and IS are stealing the vast majority of the pages atm)

Papers now reporting that the lads bloodsoaked jeans and phone have been found in the suspect's home. Chief suspect is now meant to be a migrant worker.

This really was a sickening, violent murder with a blunt instrument which included the rape of a young woman. It deserves all the media coverage it gets and more.

For anyone still following this apparently the migrant workers have now been ruled out. Bit confusing as you'd hope someone must have had a pretty good reason for why they had a dead guy's jeans and phone on them, though this could have been misreported by the Daily Fail.

For anyone still following this apparently the migrant workers have now been ruled out. Bit confusing as you'd hope someone must have had a pretty good reason for why they had a dead guy's jeans and phone on them, though this could have been misreported by the Daily Fail.

They've now gone back to the male victim's British roommate as the prime suspect.

They've now gone back to the male victim's British roommate as the prime suspect.

I think they are now back looking at migrant workers again after speaking to his roomates.

Lots of strange things about this case but as always I'm sure the papers are not reporting it all over correctly.

So what do we know so far:

- Couple found half naked (bottom half) on beach with serious injuries leading to death.

- Post mortem shows male to have most likely died of drowning and blunt trauma, girl blunt trauma

- Girl has had sexual activity shortly before time of death

Other info reported

- Migrant suspects have various iphones in their rooms and a bloodstained pair of jeans, initially reported as victim's.

- Male victim to have a pair of bloodstained pants in his luggage

- Male's roomate has an injury to his right hand which apparently he has justified

I can't help but think these two may have wandered off to the beach for some intimate time and whilst possibly having sex, they have then been disturbed. The male has tried to fight back but has been outnumbered and drowned whilst the female has also been killed.

I really hope they get to the bottom of this and DNA evidence now seems the key factor. It makes you appreciate the DNA database we have here on our country.

Who would be against a statutory DNA collection of all people at a certain age? Say 16 or 18? I personally think one day this could happen. It would be easy enough to facilitate and would be a great aid to the police when looking to solve violent crimes, sexual offences etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived