Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Jerome Champagne to challenge Sepp Blatter for Fifa presidency

Frenchman Jerome Champagne has confirmed he plans to challenge Sepp Blatter for the Fifa presidency.

Blatter announced his intention to seek a fifth term in charge last week.

Former diplomat Champagne, 56, worked for Fifa for 11 years as an executive before leaving in 2010.

"I have just written to the Fifa Ad-hoc Electoral Committee and its president, Mr Domenico Scala, to confirm my intention to run for Fifa president," he wrote on his website.

Champagne needs the backing of five Fifa member Football Associations but does not have to disclose who they are until official declarations are made in January.

The election will take place at the Fifa congress in June next year.

Champagne added: "We have to take clear and informed decisions on whether we want to continue with the current economic polarisation, and the sporting imbalances it brings in its wake, or be willing to rebalance the game in our globalised 21st century.

"The next 10 years will be crucial for football and very particularly for Fifa, which is at a crossroads and in need of sweeping changes that must take it further than what has been accomplished to date."

He's got no chance unfortunately. Tyrants aren't deposed until they die or remove themselves. I'm not one for advocating death but Blatter is not going to go until he dies, so the sooner he dies the better (not that it's likely to change anything, he's had 16 years to build an executive committee with his train of thought)

He's got no chance unfortunately. Tyrants aren't deposed until they die or remove themselves. I'm not one for advocating death but Blatter is not going to go until he dies, so the sooner he dies the better (not that it's likely to change anything, he's had 16 years to build an executive committee with his train of thought)

Fifa is a democracy.

Just Blatter has been happy to sell off European power and rule to secure the votes of the many African and Asian countries whose votes decide this.

Archived