Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

'Multiculturalism has resulted in division, separatism and distrust'

By Leicester Mercury  |  Posted: September 19, 2014

6917563-large.jpg

Manzoor Moghal

Comments (2)

The Rotherham child abuse scandal is still making news. It is a severe indictment of the local authority and the police who seem to have taken a very cavalier attitude to the child abuse which had been going on for several years.

According to the report by Professor Alexis Jay, the distinguished former inspector of social work in Scotland, almost all men involved were of Pakistani origin. Unfortunately, the council and the police wanted to play it down in order not to offend the Pakistani ethnic community. The frontline staff felt unsure how to deal with this for fear of being labelled as racist.

It is obvious from the report that the council and police put far greater emphasis on maintaining the image of successful diversity in Rotherham than on protecting children.

The predator gangs operated with impunity for 16 years and the council staff in a most cowardly manner feared accusations of racism and imagined that any tough action might result in damaging community relations.

This pattern of negligent behaviour by the police and the local authority shows the terrible damage done by the ideology of multiculturalism which, in Rotherham, was elevated above the requirements of law enforcement and compassionate morality.

Its supporters proclaim multiculturalism as a vehicle for prosperity, vibrancy and harmony. But in truth, as we can see from the fragmentation of our urban areas, it has resulted in division, separatism and distrust. The advance of multiculturalism has been fuelled by the deepening official fixation with anti-racism.

The fight against racial prejudice is a noble cause, one that inspired the civil rights activists in 60s America and the anti-apartheid struggle in South Africa. In Britain, too, an eagerness to root out bigotry helped to create an open inclusive society welcoming to all newcomers.

We in Leicester have relentlessly fought against racism to bring about a more just and equitable society, and we can claim a large measure of success. However it appears that with the fear of being branded racist some of our ruling institutions have swung far to the opposite side and have become fearful of taking appropriate measures in enforcing the law.

Since the famous Lawrence enquiry, I am worried that the pendulum has swung too far in the direction of hysterical, authoritarian anti-racism – a fear that any criticism of a particular racial, cultural or religious group will be seen as racist.

Professor Jay criticised the police in Rotherham for their excessive reliance on the views of Muslim elders, an approach that undermined the protection of women and girls.

Far from promoting harmony, politically correct angst about racism by the authorities is undermining the fabric of our society, and it is innocent girls like those in Rotherham who are paying the price.

Manzoor Moghal is a social commentator.

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Person-Multiculturalism-resulted-division/story-22951861-detail/story.html#ixzz3Dlryv8Wp 
Follow us: @Leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook

Read more at http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Person-Multiculturalism-resulted-division/story-22951861-detail/story.html#leDBG3IhD5pjHwzU.99

Not a single thing to disagree with there. Surprised the Mercury printed that. Wouldn't have got past the email filter had he been a white Briton.

Overwhelmingly agree with what this bloke has to say.

About 10 years ago, I attended a very good series of evening classes in Leicester about the city's different cultures and I strongly suspect that it was this bloke who ran it (too long ago to remember his name or recognise his photo).

Certainly, the bloke who ran the course was a Muslim who stressed his view that multiculturalism in isolation wasn't a good idea; it needed to be combined with "inter-culturalism", as he put it. In other words, he wasn't saying that people of immigrant stock had to immediately become subsumed in a single British identity (as if such a thing exists, anyway)...but that it was important that they should have a lot of social and cultural contact with "native" people. Some might integrate and become very anglicized within a single generation, others might retain more of their culture of origin for a generation or two, but mutual understanding needed to be encouraged, not segregation and tolerance without understanding or communication.

I also quite agree with his view that schools should be secular, not faith schools.

He makes a particularly good point here:

"It is an undeniable fact that we are a multicultural society and will continue to be so, as indeed are many other countries in the world. What needs to change is the government's and society's attitude towards it. Our multicultural society should be allowed to evolve naturally through the inevitable interaction of these different cultures in all aspects of our lives in the UK, which would then result in a more cohesive and integrated society. It is the interference from government policies which is a problem, and not multiculturalism".

I'm always more likely to get along with westernised migrants than I am with those who are less culturally similar. It's also fairly clear they feel more comfortable themselves than those who aren't as 'British' as they are.

'Celebrating differences' is a nice idea but it can only go so far, ultimately what bring people together are similarities. A soft identity that everyone buys into just a bit would reduce division and distrust of one's neighbour.

He's being saying stuff like this for a long while.

First person: 'State should stop funding faith schools'

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/State-stop-funding-faith-schools/story-21281419-detail/story.html#ixzz3Dm6qMIeb 

Read more at http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/State-stop-funding-faith-schools/story-21281419-detail/story.html#HaeicqEjOjI3Gqh7.99

First Person: 'We must cut the number of immigrants'

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Person-cut-number-immigrants/story-19959178-detail/story.html#ixzz3Dm70EKD9 

Read more at http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Person-cut-number-immigrants/story-19959178-detail/story.html#sz2gxGED4Xxu859U.99

Time to change our attitude to multiculturalism

By This is Leicestershire  |  Posted: February 17, 2011

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Time-change-attitude-multiculturalism/story-12089531-detail/story.html#ixzz3Dm7NrvwU 

Read more at http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Time-change-attitude-multiculturalism/story-12089531-detail/story.html#08XBpELokgoEPytC.99

The state funding faith schools is absolutely shocking. The fact that my taxes go to funding schools that teaches religious fairytales and values that belong in the 7th century is a disgrace. 

Not only do faith schools promote division and segregation, but it teaches false, illogical, dogmatic, impractical, ill educated and ill informed ideas. They can shove their god up their backside. 

WTF is Asian, it's a whole fooking continent with 2/3 of the whole population, I insult you, you European!

Right this ones going all the way to the racially aggravated crime team. You will not get away with this My Sing. you simply cannot go around using the "E" word and think you can get away with it.  :unsure:

Overwhelmingly agree with what this bloke has to say.

About 10 years ago, I attended a very good series of evening classes in Leicester about the city's different cultures and I strongly suspect that it was this bloke who ran it (too long ago to remember his name or recognise his photo).

Certainly, the bloke who ran the course was a Muslim who stressed his view that multiculturalism in isolation wasn't a good idea; it needed to be combined with "inter-culturalism", as he put it. In other words, he wasn't saying that people of immigrant stock had to immediately become subsumed in a single British identity (as if such a thing exists, anyway)...but that it was important that they should have a lot of social and cultural contact with "native" people. Some might integrate and become very anglicized within a single generation, others might retain more of their culture of origin for a generation or two, but mutual understanding needed to be encouraged, not segregation and tolerance without understanding or communication.

I also quite agree with his view that schools should be secular, not faith schools.

He makes a particularly good point here:

"It is an undeniable fact that we are a multicultural society and will continue to be so, as indeed are many other countries in the world. What needs to change is the government's and society's attitude towards it. Our multicultural society should be allowed to evolve naturally through the inevitable interaction of these different cultures in all aspects of our lives in the UK, which would then result in a more cohesive and integrated society. It is the interference from government policies which is a problem, and not multiculturalism".

I've long considered you one of the most intelligent and eloquent posters on here but what you propose plays entirely into the nature and aims of fundamentalist Islam and, whatever your own beliefs, not everyone wants that.

If a Muslim marries a Christian or someone of any other faith, the kids (as I understand it) must be brought up as Muslims. Gradually, therefore, the Muslim community gets larger and every other community gets smaller.

You're right that the actions of Government have been the problem because it was Blair and co who effectively exploded the cultural erosion that is taking place in Britain today.

No other faith effects the same progressive erosion because no other faith seems to have the same declared commitment to converting everyone else.  

I'm not sure all Muslims believe in it either, especially given the horrific representation of Islam by IS. Indeed I read recently (see later link) that many Muslims are abandoning Islam in shame...and that is a major decision for them giving the serious way apostacy is viewed.

Natural inter-culturalism? I think there are some benefits but nothing "natural" will erode this kind of attitude because it  has been embodied over centuries. It will just go further underground. 

http://kafircrusaders.wordpress.com/muslim-grooming-paedo-map/

What concerns me among many other things is how many of these vile happenings have flourished under Labour multi-cultural administrations 

What with Labour's economic attitudes and their selective application of various laws, I've long wondered why anyone votes Labour because not only have they devalued the English working man they supposedly represent - they've also shit on his sons and daughters as well, given the evidence above.

And with that you can hardly be surprised that so many genuinely decent Muslims want nothing more to do with a faith so often portrayed as embracing extremism and, more importantly, the kind of people who mock the original spirit of that faith  

Surely, with so many attrocities being committed all over the world in the name of Islam, no-one would wish to encourage the Islamification of anyone in the UK by natural, inter-cultural or any other means.  .

http://www.newenglishreview.org/blog_email.cfm/blog_id/14057/Muslims-Leaving-Islam-In-Droves

http://www.faithfreedom.org/oped/sina31103.htm

I have long-standing Islamic friends who are horrified by IS and the rape-gangs highlighted to the point where they themselves, have doubts about the righteousness of their faith. They are good people.

But whatever the trends there is so much hatred still being voiced in the UK  and presumably more behind closed doors)  that things like the infiltration of Birmingham and other UK schools by fundamentalists, only emphasises the dangers of so-called inter-culturalism.

There is nothing inter-cultural about fundamentalism. As IS demonstrates across swathes of land. It is one way - or no way.    

The state funding faith schools is absolutely shocking. The fact that my taxes go to funding schools that teaches religious fairytales and values that belong in the 7th century is a disgrace. 

Not only do faith schools promote division and segregation, but it teaches false, illogical, dogmatic, impractical, ill educated and ill informed ideas. They can shove their god up their backside. 

Couldn't agree more. 

I'd sooner schools promote decent values instead of presenting some sanitised version of the history of religion. I believe in a higher power but have no time for any man-made religion. Indeed more people - and I mean millions - have died in the name of man-made religion than from most anything else.  

http://scottfromsc.blogspot.co.uk/2009/10/christianity-and-religion-have-caused.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_war

My kids went to a CofE primary school, not because we chose it for them but because we were in the catchment area.20-30% of the kids were of Asian descent , mainly hindu I'd guess. They had to go to a church service once a week, not compulsory many parents withdrew their kids from it. It's hardly brainwashing and none of my kids are in anyway religious, certainly not christian fundamentalists.

The amount of nonsense spoken about faith based schools is ridiculous at times.

Archived