Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LanguedocFox

The next couple of months: time for a little fate-tempting, perhaps...

As we all know, when the fixture list came out, very few of us could look beyond the first five matches, and some of us (me for instance) were wondering how/if we were going to get a single point. And we know what happened there.

But I was just looking at the fixtures between now and when we play Liverpool at the beginning of December, and just wondering. Given that I thought we would be lucky to have two points by now, I am loath to make any predictions, but what do people think about this lot:

27 Sept: Palace (a)

4 Oct: Burnley (h)

18 Oct: Newcastle (a)

15 Oct: Swansea (a)

1 Nov: West Brom (h)

8 Nov: Southampton (a)

22 Nov: Sunderland (h)

29 Nov: QPR (a)

Personally I think we might have a difficult time against Palace (just because of Colin), and neither Swansea nor Southampton will be easy. But the other five fixtures...

Thoughts?

With the exception of Man U, there are no easy games in the EPL. We just need to keep edging towards 40

points. If after 15 games we are up around the 20-22 mark, this will bode well.

I took each game as it came last year, i'm doing the same this year.

Great post Matt. So, I suspect is Pearson and will be drumming this into his players.

The club is at a bit of a crossroads now. Let's be honest, very few of us were expecting that we would be in the position we are in after the run of opponents we have faced? Is that fair?

I think it's sometimes easier to be the 'minnows' and surprise people than it is to be 'up there to be shot at'. Well, we find ourselves in the coveted position of being the latter, now. We will be taken more seriously than at the start of the season and suddenly opposition clubs and fans will be more concerned at the prospect of having to play City.

At least, I imagine this to be the case...

The next few games, ironically, could be more tough for this reason and we now need or demonstrate that we are as good as people are now thinking we are. One game at a time, I think, is spot on.

I was just thinking about this. Quality-wise, is there even a big 4/5/7 this season? It seems like you've got a big 2, although citeh is off to a bit of a shit start. Then Arsenal just chugging along in a table by themselves... then... what? Really think the Saints are that good? Everton and Pool, shaky... where's the rest of the quality? On paper United has it, but not really.

What scares me is we are in this logjam of "just about good enough" teams that could finish 5-16th. I know its ridiculous for me to say Europa League place for us, but in all honesty, there's just not much in it this year.

As we all know, when the fixture list came out, very few of us could look beyond the first five matches, and some of us (me for instance) were wondering how/if we were going to get a single point. And we know what happened there.

But I was just looking at the fixtures between now and when we play Liverpool at the beginning of December, and just wondering. Given that I thought we would be lucky to have two points by now, I am loath to make any predictions, but what do people think about this lot:

27 Sept: Palace (a)

4 Oct: Burnley (h)

18 Oct: Newcastle (a)

15 Oct: Swansea (a)

1 Nov: West Brom (h)

8 Nov: Southampton (a)

22 Nov: Sunderland (h)

29 Nov: QPR (a)

Personally I think we might have a difficult time against Palace (just because of Colin), and neither Swansea nor Southampton will be easy. But the other five fixtures...

Thoughts?

On paper we have a favourable run of games now, much like we do towards the end of the season. However, as we showed yesterday the game isn't played on paper. The success of this season will be based on how we can come out of bad patches and how we can win while under-performing, much like we did at Stoke. We won't be able to play like yesterday every game but I don't think that matters to this side. We've shown in the last year or so that we can win in many ways. We can outbattle teams like Millwall and Stoke on their own patch. We can pass it around, be patient and probe teams, forcing mistakes from them or cutting through them with some nice play. We can dig in and defend, then hit quickly on the counter to snatch a goal or two. Going a goal or two down doesn't make our heads drop. That's what I love most about this team: it has the pace, power, spirit, confidence and quality to implement a number of tactics and find a way to win. It is, without doubt our greatest strength.

That said, every game will be tough and will give us a different challenge. It would be typical to go and lose at Palace next week after yesterday. Even if we do, it's how we recover from it that is the most important thing. 

Personally, we've got to go into each of those games thinking we can win the game. That is Pearson's mentality and the team's mentality. My own prediction is a win next week, a frustrating 0-0 at home to Burnley, a score draw away at Newcastle, a small margin loss away at Swansea, a win against WBA at home, a loss at Southampton, a draw at home to Sunderland and a win at QPR. Which is clearly too positive as that's 12 points and 1.5 points a game, which would see us get around 57 points across the season  lol

Edit: Although I will actually be looking at it one game at a time personally, these are my long term predictions as it stands. I'm just thoroughly enjoying the quality of football and the excitement of it all.

I think 8-16 points which is one to two points average. Any more will be a bonus. On paper they all could be winnable but those teams do not have players that fit in the multi million ego players so will be focused on stopped us playing. They will be the teams that could be fighting at the end of the season so will look on Leicester as a possible points. Not easy games. Teams like Man Utd Arsenal will expect to take three points off them (as they did us) and unless they have the same belief as City those teams may allow them to do so.

Strangely I'm more nervous about the fixtures we should be getting something from than the ones we're happily surprised if we do.

I remember a friend who's a Villa fan singing about how great a team they were because of the results they were getting against Chelsea and Liverpool and when they beat Man City in the cup ... but look how badly they have done in the last few seasons (I know they are doing better this season).

Ever victory helps of course - but I hope Nigel is keeping everyone grounded because football comes with no guarantees ...

I want to say those all look winnable - and while I'd say Swansea and Southampton should be hardest out of those (IMO) I don't think any games in this league are easy.

Saw the way Everton lost to Palace adopting the 4-3-3 formation we used against United. I just hope we continue to be clinical in front of the opposition's goal and stay relatively injury free.

We have a fairly kind October and November period and we should be aiming for a decent points return, no games are easy in this league but we have plenty of options across the team so we can freshen things up if needs be.

27 Sept: Palace (a) 3 points

4 Oct: Burnley (h) 3 point

18 Oct: Newcastle (a) 0 points

15 Oct: Swansea (a) 1 points

1 Nov: West Brom (h) 3 points

8 Nov: Southampton (a) 0 points

22 Nov: Sunderland (h) 1 point

29 Nov: QPR (a) 3 points

Thoughts?

14 points I reckon which would be a good return.

This is what could turn this season into a great season, or will result in it being a struggle. This is our mini league and we could win everyone of those games. We won't Swansea and Southampton will be tough, but I think a real statement of intent can be made in the next 2 games. If we go to Palace and deliver a professional performance and win 1-0, 2-0, 2-1 just one of those games where we play well but not at the same level of intensity as we save seen in recent weeks, because we don't need to. Then do the same against Burnley then we are really announcing ourselves as a team that belongs in the top half of this league. Don't get me wrong I will take a scrappy, last minute 1-0 with our only shot on goal. If we can dispatch the likes of Palace and Burnley with the minimum of fuss then it will demonstrate our class even further.

Archived