Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
theessexfox

Dispelling the myth of Premier League experience

Are we doing just that?

Pre-season, a lack of PL experience in our squad was used as a stick with which to beat our squad and tip us for a struggle this year, both amongst our own supporters, fans of other clubs and the national media. Yet look at the side we put out yesterday and their Premier League Caps prior to the season...

Schmeichel - 8

De Laet - 9

Moore - 0

Morgan - 0 

Konchesky - 322

Cambiasso - 0

Drinkwater - 0

Hammond - 0

Vardy - 0

Ulloa - 0

Nugent - 64

And our subs too: King (0), James (0), Schlupp (0).

Konchesky and Nugent to an extent aside, no one with more than 10 PL appearances coming into this season. They didn't fare too badly, did they? 

The same can be said for our other 4 games in which we gave a good account of ourselves: limited PL experience.

When you look at QPR (sorry) for example, there is swathes of Premier League experience in their squad, and they look fairly diabolical. Palace, West Brom (great results for them both yesterday) the same. The PL experience is there, the quality, passion and togetherness is not.

So are we proving the overhyped and overrated myth of players needing Premier League experience to compete at the top level? I personally feel it is largely a myth. Our boys are proving that the main ingredients of top flight success are the quality and the team spirit upon which we pride ourselves. Long may it continue  :scarf:  :scarf:  :scarf:

I said all along I don't believe in all this "Premier League experience" stuff. Some people talk about the Premier League as if it's somekind of place where every team outside the top 7 will struggle every week. Especially newly-promoted teams. It's rubbish.

We aren't the first team to prove this, and we won't be the last. Look at how the likes of Wigan, Fulham and Reading have done in the past. Even under O'Neill, let's not forget, parts of the team - Izzet, Lennon etc - didn't have "Premier League experience".

You don't need a great team of star players to succeed, at any level. Many teams have proved throughout history. You know, a bit of togetherness, determination and morale go and long way. It's something we have; something Nigel has built up here. I look at the likes of QPR who have a few "stars", but are nowhere near the team we are. 

I always think a lot of Nigel's signings are coy. Upson and Cambiasso will be brilliant in the dressing room, and behind the scenes (which we don't see as fans), just like Hammond, Phillips and Taylor-Fletcher were last season. And even the likes of Powell and Edworthy before that. Regardless of how many minutes they play.

Konchesky and Nugent to an extent aside, no one with more than 10 PL appearances coming into this season. They didn't fare too badly, did they? 

"To an extent"?  Last time I was in school 64 was categorically a higher number than 10, but that was almost 5 years ago so I guess things might be different now.

"To an extent"?  Last time I was in school 64 was categorically a higher number than 10, but that was almost 5 years ago so I guess things might be different now.

It's also a lot less than 322 and in my opinion below than what you'd class as the average 'Premier League experience'. But hey, if shooting me down makes you feel better, by all means carry on. 

It's also a lot less than 322 and in my opinion below than what you'd class as the average 'Premier League experience'. But hey, if shooting me down makes you feel better, by all means carry on. 

No need to get so defensive.  I certainly wouldn't argue that Nuge is an established PL striker on those figures, but you're the one who chose to set the bar at 10 and then tried squeezing 64 in there. lol

I've ran out of rep points, too many good posts today.

Since last season I've started believing firmly that success for a team like ours can be bred from simply from team chemistry. Now this is fairly vague but I would include amount of time spent playing together, how well players get on with each other, how well they understand each other, the atmosphere within the squad, the relationship of the players with the management team, how well they understand the system and what Nigel wants and finally the direction and aspirations of the club. Yes, Nige's tactics and subs have improved and yes, we look more technically able but if you get the first lot right then you've got a solid foundation. 

At the end of the day the Premier League is just another league. It's still football. The same things apply. The players have largely done the right things for over a year now, they've just carried on doing them so far this season.

Even the most experienced Premier League players had no experience at all at one time or another. The only way you can get it is by playing.

Our players have the talent, the older and the younger. Players like Drinkwater and Moore for example, will do well in the Premier League because they are good players. And as they play more games they'll get more experienced and hopefully become even better players.

It's more top level experience for me rather than PL experience meaning Ulloa and most definitely Cambiasso would also have a number of appearances and Kings got over 20 caps at international level.

I think it's important to have a number of experienced players in the team which we have enough of. A few hungry young lads looking to prove themselves doesn't hurt either, when people talk about experience they don't mean every player in the XI to have two PL seasons under their belt.

The one thing about this that I've always argued with, is those who claimed they think the Championship is somehow 'quicker' than the Prem. I disagree. I think the Premiership is rapid. Teams get forward ridiculously quickly. The second main difference is in the quality of finishing. Give a team half a chance and more often than not they will bury it.

This is why Pearson and City are doing so well IMO. We have pace throughout the side... RDL, Schlupp, Mahrez, Vardy, even Drinkwater is no slouch. And, in Ulloa, we have a Premiership class finisher.

Add to that the team spirit and the work ethic and it bodes well, I hope.

The one thing about this that I've always argued with, is those who claimed they think the Championship is somehow 'quicker' than the Prem. I disagree. I think the Premiership is rapid. Teams get forward ridiculously quickly. The second main difference is in the quality of finishing. Give a team half a chance and more often than not they will bury it.

This is why Pearson and City are doing so well IMO. We have pace throughout the side... RDL, Schlupp, Mahrez, Vardy, even Drinkwater is no slouch. And, in Ulloa, we have a Premiership class finisher.

Add to that the team spirit and the work ethic and it bodes well, I hope.

We've even got that Cambiasso lad who's not as good as Lee Clattermole.

• 2 months later...

I said all along I don't believe in all this "Premier League experience" stuff. Some people talk about the Premier League as if it's somekind of place where every team outside the top 7 will struggle every week. Especially newly-promoted teams. It's rubbish.

We aren't the first team to prove this, and we won't be the last. Look at how the likes of Wigan, Fulham and Reading have done in the past. Even under O'Neill, let's not forget, parts of the team - Izzet, Lennon etc - didn't have "Premier League experience".

You don't need a great team of star players to succeed, at any level. Many teams have proved throughout history. You know, a bit of togetherness, determination and morale go and long way. It's something we have; something Nigel has built up here. I look at the likes of QPR who have a few "stars", but are nowhere near the team we are.

I always think a lot of Nigel's signings are coy. Upson and Cambiasso will be brilliant in the dressing room, and behind the scenes (which we don't see as fans), just like Hammond, Phillips and Taylor-Fletcher were last season. And even the likes of Powell and Edworthy before that. Regardless of how many minutes they play.

On dear....

How things have changed

'Premier league experience' is a load of sh*t. There's been plenty of teams throughout the years that have came up and survived without 'premier league experience'

One of problems is maybe our 'most decorated' player with 'premier league experience' in Konch. Every week it amazes me how he gets into the team, every week a suicidal pass back, physically weak, lost his pace, poor passing, can't cross- but I'm guessing that's ok cause he has premier league experience?

We are on a terrible run and we are failing to adapt but that's not prem experience, unfortunately that's poor management from Pearson! If going by Prem experience and even management experience is something to go by the Burnley should be rock bottom, Pearson has been in management longer and our team have more experience than them!

Yes QPR have experience but (at home) they set their selves up well (maybe the small pitch and intimidating crown works for them?) but as a whole they are pretty poor, their only hopes of survival pretty much lay on Austin and Vargas shoulders who are their only threats which incredibly..... Have no prem experience!!!

Its all bollocks. Charlie Austin, Danny Ings have no experience and are doing OK,as is Harry Kane who only has a few games. It doesn't just come down to this though, I genuinely believe we have strikers that can score, But as an example, Austin had 10, yes TEN attempts yesterday, which is the same as Ulloe and more than Vardy ALL SEASON so far. We simply do not have enough creativity to make chances for our strikers, and the one player that does, is going African nations in a few weeks!

On dear....

How things have changed

I still stand by what I said. "Premier league experience" is a load of rubbish. Look at Charlie Austin. Konchesky is our most experienced PL player and look at his performances this season.

It's just the fact that we're poor.

I still stand by what I said. "Premier league experience" is a load of rubbish. Look at Charlie Austin. Konchesky is our most experienced PL player and look at his performances this season.

It's just the fact that we're poor.

Amen. Ultimately, it's about quality. Cream rises to the top eventually. 

Archived