Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

AFL Grand Final

The single biggest day in Aussie sport is about to kick off. (1 hour from now)

The streams show Hawthorn Vs St Kilda, but sadly for  ROOFOX its actually Hawthorn Vs Sydney.

http://firstrowau.eu/watch/285607/1/watch-st-kilda-saints-vs-hawthorn-hawks.html

The first 15 minutes are usually a boomer, with hopefully plenty of biff.

A little history,

The AFL (aust Football League) origninated as the VFL (Victorian Football League) in Melbourne in the 1850s with about 12 Melbourne only teams, they began to expand by "franchising" the South Melbourne FC and sending them to Sydney (New South Wales) to become...the Sydney Swans (blech what a name).

Eventually they included the West Aust League and the South Aust FL to become "national" in 1991.

A few simple rules.

1) you cannot throw the ball it must be kicked or handpassed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do2plgdfYYw

2) you must not run more than 10 metres without either kicking or the ball touching the ground

3) you canot push in the back

4) Tackles must be between the Knees and Shoulders

5) a mark (free kick) is given if you catch the ball after it has been kicked and travelled more than 15 metres (and has not been touched inbetween)

I might try to and watch some of this tonight, but I highly doubt I'll be able to stay up for the whole game.

I've seen AFL highlights (and YouTube compilation of players getting destroyed by vicious hits), but I've never just watched a game. Which team am I supposed to root for here? :P

I kinda think every sport should have an Australian Rules version.

I might try to and watch some of this tonight, but I highly doubt I'll be able to stay up for the whole game.

I've seen AFL highlights (and YouTube compilation of players getting destroyed by vicious hits), but I've never just watched a game. Which team am I supposed to root for here? :P

I kinda think every sport should have an Australian Rules version.

its a bit like Barca Vs Real  :)

Neither of them is really good or bad, so, id go for Sydney, because Hawthorns colours are shit lol, having said that.. who wants to support the "swans" ? :)

its a bit like Barca Vs Real :)

Neither of them is really good or bad, so, id go for Sydney, because Hawthorns colours are shit lol, having said that.. who wants to support the "swans" ? :)

Brown and gold is a hideous combination, but that swan pattern that Sydney have is just plain stupid. At least Hawthorn wear a stolid, classic stripe pattern, so the jersey (guernsey?) issue is a push.

I'm just gonna throw the game on my phone (it's on a cable channel here) and hope for a good game, even though I would have no idea about what would actually constitute a good game.

Edit: The Sydney Swans' anthem is actually the fight song for the University of Notre Dame (which has a famous [American] football program), with the lyrics changed. lol

A mildly interesting aside.. when a goal is scored, the TV station goes to an advert... the umpire waits until a light in the grandstand is turned on by the tv station to indicate the advert is over and he can restart the game :)

A mildly interesting aside.. when a goal is scored, the TV station goes to an advert... the umpire waits until a light in the grandstand is turned on by the tv station to indicate the advert is over and he can restart the game :)

Imagine the uproar if that happened in the Premier League lol

I'm not at the house but I live with 3 Aussies who were trying to hook up BT Sport to watch it.

Enjoyed watching it when it was on and semi familiar with the rules as there are slight similarities to Gaelic football in Ireland.

What a disappointing game HAwthorn were pretty good, but not much of a spectacle

Went to three Richmond Tigers matches when I was there at the MCG & The Colonial Stadium as it was called. Got massively in to it then but haven't watched it for years.

I get the impression that Richmond are pretty terrible now?

mm richmond are... ummmmm.......verrry average although are on the come back.

The Draft and salary cap system means everyone gets a shot at being top and also at being crap :)

I watched the first quarter--the Hawks' forwards were relentless, and they just overwhelmed the Swans.

When the ball is in play, AFL is non-stop action. I know there are strategies, tactics, and technique, but to the untrained eye it looks like mayhem--but entertaining mayhem.

• 11 months later...

We are closing in on the Grand final again and right now the Preliminary Final is happening in Perth... not sure if there is a stream.. but its going to be a cracking second half

Any opportunities left to boo an abbo.?  :dunno:  :rolleyes:

Shameful behaviour, WA is imo the most racist place in Aust

Parramatta is very racist, me and a mate kept getting comments all the time from the local Lebanese.

I usually watch a bit of Aussie rules on a Saturday morning. Is there a match on tomorrow?

PS what's the square in the middle of the pitch for?

Yep the other Preliminary final.. kicks off 5.40 pm here, so... 10 ish there?

The square is used to keep the bounce downs clear, only a few players are allowed inside the square until after the bounce

Ouch. I watched the Freo-Hawthorn game, and Fyfe showed huge balls by getting back into the game and playing on. It's a shame, because from what I hear, he was fantastic for most of the season but he's been hampered by injuries down the stretch. I'm sure it would have been a better game with a more healthy Fyfe, and Freo's chances went out with his leg (though they gamely battled on until the 4th quarter).

A lot of comments I've read about that game suggest Hawthorn benefited from some awful refereeing--I guess there were a few soft calls early, but I don't know too much about AFL refereeing so can't say for sure. I just thought Hawthorn were the better and more disciplined team. They really controlled the ball and kicked well, and in the end, they just rolled past Freo's tired team.

Hawthorn have got to be favorites to win the three-peat, right?

Isn't the final usually 3pm in Melbourne? I guess it's 6 am UK and 1 am New York?

I really want to watch this, but that's a late time for me, and I have to get up early tomorrow.

It'll be pouring rain all night so I'm not doing shit. I might have to grab a few big cans of Fosters and Red Bull on my way home and take a nap.

Archived