Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bilo

Home Brew

Anyone ever tried making it?

I've been making some over the past few weeks and tried the stuff last night. It's bloody lethal!

Only thing is, I've been trying to carbonate it as it has a nasty tendency to go a bit flat. Any other home brewers on here?

I've been making some over the past few weeks and tried the stuff last night. It's bloody lethal!

Only thing is, I've been trying to carbonate it as it has a nasty tendency to go a bit flat. Any other home brewers on here?

My grandad used to make it years ago. It was so powerful you could have probably ran your car on it.

Yep - what's your setup like? Barrel sealed with Vaseline and a bubbler airlock with a rubber bung at the bottom or just in a bottle?

It's all a fairly cheap set up if I'm honest, but the beer is in a pressure barrel and needs no airlock. I've used a Co2 injector which has helped, but it does go flat very quickly once it;s out.

It's all a fairly cheap set up if I'm honest, but the beer is in a pressure barrel and needs no airlock. I've used a Co2 injector which has helped, but it does go flat very quickly once it;s out.

What temperature is the barrel at and how much sugar did you add?

My pressure barrel holds pressure well, I add CO2 after 1 third and 2 thirds are drunk. Currently have a 7% double IPA.

I don't have a hydrometer at the moment, but it's a Woodforde's Wherry beer that should stand at around 4%.

I do, however, suspect it's a little stronger than that. I'll have to buy a hydrometer and work it out. 

The pressure barrel holds the pressure well, but the beer itself seems to lose 'fizz' fairly quickly after being poured. I suspect that 85g for 23 litres was insufficient, which means that the fermentation may not be as effective as I'd have liked.

Still, not bad for a first effort.

I don't have a hydrometer at the moment, but it's a Woodforde's Wherry beer that should stand at around 4%.

I do, however, suspect it's a little stronger than that. I'll have to buy a hydrometer and work it out.

The pressure barrel holds the pressure well, but the beer itself seems to lose 'fizz' fairly quickly after being poured. I suspect that 85g for 23 litres was insufficient, which means that the fermentation may not be as effective as I'd have liked.

Still, not bad for a first effort.

That wherry is a nice drink when it goes well. I assume the barrel is sealed. I usually use a little more sugar but 80ish isn't too little. Personally I don't use a pressure barrel because I don't really know how much pressure to add and when so I guess I'm not gonna be much more help.

I have one of the festival kits ready to bottle at the minute, think it's gonna be a tasty one. Gonna be attempting my first brew from scratch soon, could be a steep learning curve though.

That wherry is a nice drink when it goes well. I assume the barrel is sealed. I usually use a little more sugar but 80ish isn't too little. Personally I don't use a pressure barrel because I don't really know how much pressure to add and when so I guess I'm not gonna be much more help.

I have one of the festival kits ready to bottle at the minute, think it's gonna be a tasty one. Gonna be attempting my first brew from scratch soon, could be a steep learning curve though.

Attempting from scratch can be difficult - I'd recommend a good boiler with a thermostat, I attempted to make a blackberry stout a couple of months back, but it went bad immediately - think the wort wasn't at the proper heat.

Attempting from scratch can be difficult - I'd recommend a good boiler with a thermostat, I attempted to make a blackberry stout a couple of months back, but it went bad immediately - think the wort wasn't at the proper heat.

Yeah I've got a few good brew buddies helping me out. I think I know what I'm doing though! :D time will tell.

Sucks about the stout, doesn't take much to mess it up. You gonna try again?

Yeah I've got a few good brew buddies helping me out. I think I know what I'm doing though! :D time will tell.

Sucks about the stout, doesn't take much to mess it up. You gonna try again?

I think so, I've still got a few bags of malt and some hops left. I'm planning on starting a fruit cider during the week first. Could do with getting myself some bottles to keep it actually.

Run it through a soda stream before you drink it

Home Brew - I believe it is a "must do" for any young man from the age of 18-22.

You need to have got used to drinking first, as it can be pretty lethal but it must be done.

The thrill of putting it together, thinking how wonderful it will taste, knowing that after a short period of time you will be the owner of around 40 pints that you can down at your leisure.

Everyday you look at it, striking off every day waiting to try it, like a kid waiting for Christmas.

Then it's ready and you try it. You always think it will be nice, your expectations are high, but as soon as you try it you realise how awful it is. But you made it, it is your creation so you sort of kid yourself that it's nice, even though it makes you wince.

Maybe a lemonade top to make it acceptable, but then down it goes and you start on your 40 pints.

I have had some massive days on home brew. I remember getting blasted on it at Burton away in the FA Cup at the baseball ground. Hammered after two pints, a complete nuisance after that.

It's amazing, a must do experience for youngsters and a real part of my life for a period in my late teens

After a while you just can't do it anymore, it is generally horrendous, well mine was anyway, but the days and nights out i had on it were legendary.

Then there is the farts. Without doubt the best farts I ever did were home brew farts. For that alone it is worth buying a kit.

If you are a young chap with limited money and love a giggle, get a kit, get it done and you will remember it forever.

Home Brew - I believe it is a "must do" for any young man from the age of 18-22.

You need to have got used to drinking first, as it can be pretty lethal but it must be done.

The thrill of putting it together, thinking how wonderful it will taste, knowing that after a short period of time you will be the owner of around 40 pints that you can down at your leisure.

Everyday you look at it, striking off every day waiting to try it, like a kid waiting for Christmas.

Then it's ready and you try it. You always think it will be nice, your expectations are high, but as soon as you try it you realise how awful it is. But you made it, it is your creation so you sort of kid yourself that it's nice, even though it makes you wince.

Maybe a lemonade top to make it acceptable, but then down it goes and you start on your 40 pints.

I have had some massive days on home brew. I remember getting blasted on it at Burton away in the FA Cup at the baseball ground. Hammered after two pints, a complete nuisance after that.

It's amazing, a must do experience for youngsters and a real part of my life for a period in my late teens

After a while you just can't do it anymore, it is generally horrendous, well mine was anyway, but the days and nights out i had on it were legendary.

Then there is the farts. Without doubt the best farts I ever did were home brew farts. For that alone it is worth buying a kit.

If you are a young chap with limited money and love a giggle, get a kit, get it done and you will remember it forever.

sold! :)

This was a thread of mine a couple of years ago. I do it mostly prior to Xmas.

I always use green hops, and am generous with the sugar and yeast.

Beware of exploding bottles.  :rolleyes:  :sweating:

The Kings Head are doing their own brew now. The brewery Black Galleon the beer Drown Ya Sorrows A nice 4% Ginger Beer

They have brewed a few gallons for the Nottingham Beer Festival/ Should go down well.

The fun is in the making and thinking you are some type of master beer brewer.

Drinking someone else's is not the same.

Archived