Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

But he was our top scorer last season.

Nugent does so much unselfish work it's unreal. Heskeys record for club and country was atrocious for a forward yet he played under so many different England managers. WHY? His contribution to the team. It's not all about personal accolades and being the man in the limelight. Football is a team game and although players are rated by individual statistics, teams are rated by final league position and that is the only stat that counts

I apologise if the two don't equate to the same thing, I hope you can see why I thought they should. And yes, I agree, it's totally pointless singling Nugent or anybody else out. But I still see no harm in discussing whether he's our best option.

Out of interest, who would you have ahead of him in our best 11?

If we play 4-4-2 I'd have Ulloa and Vardy

If we play 4-3-3 I always think at least one of the front three should be a natural wide player, so probably Mahrez

Pearson never leaves him out though

I think 5 games was your threshold wasn't it? Yes, I'll hold my hands up to you if neither of them plays five games.

But you're still massively missing the point. I want Nugent to play in every game but I just think he needs to offer more than he has in the past at this level if he is to maintain that place, over a prolonged period of time.

If he replicates his current form over the whole season - i.e. zero assists and about 6 goals, all from penalties, then it would be remarkable if he remained in the side. What you don't seem to grasp is that I believe he will either do better than that - it's very likely he will, as I see it - or be dropped.

We're only going round in circles because you've paid next to no attention to what I'm saying. And clearly, if you don't see that two new players being brought into the first team squad to compete for his place constitutes a greater chance that he'll be dropped, then we're going to struggle to have a meaningful argument.

Five Premier League games instead of  a fit and unsuspended David Nugent was your threshold. I've no doubt both could feature in the FA cup or if there is a major injury crisis, I would suspect Lawrence wont play five full stop though. 

And I get what your saying but for the fourth time. I'm not arguing with you over that, I just view the idea that you think Powell and Lawrence we're bought in to compete for Nugent's place immediately is incorrect, as our last 3 squads will show you. 

That is the only comment I hear from Nugent defenders.

If the only positive about a player is that he 'has done' something then I'm afraid you just prove he isn't good enough.

What has he done so far this season? We look like playing with 10 men when he is in the side. Vardy is quicker, Mahrez is better at everything, ulloa is a better target man and finisher, wood is a better finisher....Why does he play?

He is simply benefiting from a side doing so well, that is why he hasn't been dropped.

No-one EVER uses this as a reason why Nugent is in the team. Your post sounds like a letter to Viz.

Because he is a combination of all of those things and not a one trick pony. You utter gimp.

Boom! This thread should have ended after the first two posts.

I particularly enjoyed the use of the word 'gimp'. Le mot juste.

Seeing a lot of hyperbole on both sides. Fact is he needs to start taking some of his chances, he's had a lot in open play and not taken any, so think if he still hasn't bagged one in the next few games don't see how anyone can have any complaints if he's left out the 11.

I spoke too soon.

If Nugent could also take his chances as well as all his other excellent attributes, he wouldn’t be playing for Leicester City.

I’m not against the Ulloa/Vardy partnership per se, but who’s going to do all the work? Who’s going to drop into midfield when needed? Vardy?

If we drop Nugent then we’d need to bring probably King back into the team.

Every team needs two or three workhorses.  We got Nugent and Hammond.

He's not even had that many chances,  I can think of one you'd call clear cut.

True.

The reason Nugent don’t score a lot of goals is cos he doesn’t get a lot of chances. This is because he’s usually working his bollocks off on the wing or in midfield helping out the team.

Watch him score next game haha

Chris Wood hat-trick  :ph34r:

Seriously though, Nugent has never been a prolific goalscorer. That's not what his game is about. He's far more likely to play in that "number 10" role, linking the midfield with the attack. It's also worth pointing out that Nugent partners up instinctively with Ulloa, Vardy AND Wood. He's an excellent example of a "team player"

If you cannot question him after today, a performance against a championship side, then you clearly have too much biased towards the lad.

Got away down the right 3 times...what does he do? Float the ball onto Shackell's head everytime.

No quality, and today no effort whatsoever. Vardy put more of a shift in for the last 30 than Nuge did, even though he had only just came on. I didn't suggest playing wood instead of him, but he certainly isn't a worse option at the minute, especially when nuge looks totally pointless.

It's amazing how people are so quick on here to abuse you for holding nothing more than an 'opinion'.

Yet when it continues to be supported with more and more evidence (game after game after game) the speed at which these people apologise for the unnecessary abuse is much slower.

Very disappointed.

He had a point to prove at this level, 7 games in, hes not cutting it.

Aye, I remember reading his interviews. I thought he would as well.

He is unbelievably frustrating sometimes.

I obviously know nothing but feel he doesn't takes most things seriously, maybe he thinks he is a bit untouchable. Nigel has to give him a bit of tough love.

Aye, I remember reading his interviews. I thought he would as well.

He is unbelievably frustrating sometimes.

I obviously know nothing but feel he doesn't takes most things seriously, maybe he thinks he is a bit untouchable. Nigel has to give him a bit of tough love.

What I really struggle with is how jovial he is with opposition players whilst we are playing them. I'm not saying he has to be a raging bull like Diego Costa (although the ruthless streak is probably why he is so good) but the high 5s and laughing with opponents really grates on me. Where is the determination to succeed? In the Premier League he seems like he is "just happy to be here". I expect more.

I wouldn't even bench him. He needs fully dropping from the squad for 2-3 games. He needs to pull himself together and re-evaluate what exactly he is doing. He can offer a great deal in terms of running, but hes been poor this season.

Well, many people got what they wished for today. Nugent dropped. Ulloa, I thought, was terrible today. Then again, the supply to the front two was poor.

I still believe we need some creativity in the centre of midfield. Theres no point playing Vardy, for instance, without a player to unlock a defence. A bit like Fabregas feeding Costa at Chelsea. They both compliment each other.

Well, many people got what they wished for today. Nugent dropped. Ulloa, I thought, was terrible today. Then again, the supply to the front two was poor.

I still believe we need some creativity in the centre of midfield. Theres no point playing Vardy, for instance, without a player to unlock a defence. A bit like Fabregas feeding Costa at Chelsea. They both compliment each other.

I thought it was obvious to everyone today that Ulloa was carrying an injury?

wait we dropped nugent and were f ucking diabolically awful and it's still nugent's fault...?!

Because he came on and looked less threatening than an injured ulloa, and put in less of a shift in the final 30 than Vardy did after being on the pitch for an extra 60 minutes.

He was free down the right 3 times, and every single time he put in a timid, lacklustre and nil of quality floating pass straight onto the head of shackell.

Every time the ball came to his feet he needed two to three touches, before realising the move had now broken down due to his incompetence.

Our fans will now being to see this more and more whilst we pick up poor results...but today was the same nugent I have seen from the last 18 months, minus the positive result for side....Maybe now our fans will wake up.

Archived