Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fuchsntf

11 goals in 6 games, nobody questioning back 4..?

Have we been solid at the back.

By the way, I do believe we have the right CBs, but.....

Not just against CP, but why in the box at set pieces, where many point out we have been poor,

has Hammond been under the ball making the challenge and not Wes or Liam.

Why at set pieces, as one would expect, not one of Wes or Liam attacked the ball.

Nobody saying this is mine, not just in word but in action.Both have been positive in open play, but

not at set pieces.Has NP as an ex defender not seen or picked up on this???

Lets face it, the fans also show little confidence, when we face up to a set piece.

We've been terrible at set pieces for the past couple of years, got a bit better this season now with Ulloa defending.

Also Kasper isn't the best at coming out and dominating his area. I thought we did very well at set pieces with Hamer in goal.

This. We clearly struggle to defend set pieces with the combination we have, we could really do with a Skrtel or Mertesacker type centre back who just takes complete command of most of the situations.

Second goal he couldn't do anything about but the first was a high hanging corner and I think a lot of top keepers would have came and got that one, thought our centre backs got really bullied at times on Saturday, might have been a game for Wasyl.

Our side aren't very aggressive when heading the ball besides Leo, we're not even a particularly small side really but just not very good at heading.

De Laet, Morgan, Hammond and Ulloa are 6ft+

Moore and Nugent are 5'11 too.

Maybe we lack a tall midfield player.

Who have we played ?

What is the market value of the strikers we have played against ?

We can always do better from set pieces but you could cut a bit of slack and say we have actually let in two goals in games that at the start of the season most of us thought we stood a chance of getting something from and some would have argued that we stood little chance of getting anything from the Stoke away game.

Improvements are always good but come on, we're doing pretty well really !

Totally agree about Hamer, he really impressed me with his height and ability to take the ball out of the air from crosses, something Kasper rarely does as he tends to punch out causing the ball to come back in. I would of liked to see him in goal after the Stoke game to see how he got on, instead of getting kasper straight back in

I take the point of our opposition, considering people are listing who we've played, but I also think it's quite irrelevant if we can't do the basics - defending set pieces - even Nige post match said that set pieces are key at any level in football. 

And I'm sure we don't need to tell him. He was a solid defender in his day so he'll know. It just still amazes me how weak we look when defending set pieces. Every other team look bigger than us, too, which is always alarming to me. I'm never confident when we concede a corner.

Understand, I think we are doing well, but thought I would throw it into the circle.

Has I mentioned many fans last season and also posted our set pieces, might need looking at.

Never take a point mentioned as an attack on the whole teams s t atus or situation.It is an important issue that needs attention.

Forget who we have played, its a question where can we improve that weakness, it cant be....play weaker teams.

I think the question should be when Upson is fit will he go straight in at the back? pretty sure he wouldn't drop Morgan as he is our captain. The other thing I wanted to mention was the form of De Leat, I don't want to pick on him because he does have good attributes to his game, however I feel that next game simpson will play at right back.

Agree, always nervous when we give away a set piece, I've also noticed use using zonal marking which in not keen on. Always seems to give the attacker a jumping advantage.

Anyone think kasper could and should of caught the ball prior to the corner for their first?

Ulloa has been excellent in the air defensively apart from Palace who just had so many better headers of the ball than us. I think our weakness stems more from Kasper's inability to take command of the area than defensive personnel. It is Kasper's biggest weakness.

10 goals conceded.

Our record is better than Everton, Hull, Newcastle and QPR. On par with West Ham and Palace and we've had the harder games. We're shit on set pieces but apart from that not too bad.

At least we're scoring so far to keep the GD kind of okay

I think you really have to take in to account some of the opposition we're playing and the personnel within them. I also think it might be a bit early to question them considering Moore is a total newbie to this level of football. I actually think he's done superbly well in handling players like Diego Costa (who only scored a scrappy goal and didn't require any real quality). He and Morgan, who's been an absolute beast as well, are by far our best centre-back partnership. 

This set piece defending is really pissing me off actually. It was a big problem last season and we never really addressed it, we could just find it easier to score so it was almost brushed under the carpet.

NP said after the Palace game that previously we had defended set pieces well. Well maybe but we hadnt really been tested that well with that regard. And not particularly at Stoke either despite people maintaining they are an aerial and physical team (although i remember one great chance for Crouch from a set piece). Palace was fir me always going to be the first test in this regard especially with a manager like Warnock. And especially the second goal the marking was pitiful.

Burnley will be a  threat from this with Shackell and i think Duff at the back.

Really does need addressing or will be punished by the likes of Palace more often.

The set piece defending is definitely something that needs addressing. If we don't, it's the type of thing that could easily turn results against us very quickly. Another thing we need to improve on is cover for the full backs, particularly De Laet when he's 1-on-1 with the opposition winger. Seems to be terribly exposed too often.

That said I think we are conceding more just because we have been fairly attacking and expansive so far. I wouldn't want that to change because it's the approach I believe gives us the best chance of doing well this season. There are times we'll have to tighten up somewhat and try to grind out the win and Palace was probably one of those times. But even in that game if Vardy had scored that first half chance it would have been an entirely different game where they'd have pushed up a bit and we could have gone on to score 2 or 3.

Defending set pieces badly might not be as much of a problem against decent, less direct opposition but against the teams we would hope to beat it might cost us in the long run.

Dunno what the answer is, perhaps Upson replacing Moore when fit but Moore's played well otherwise. One thing's for sure, as much as I love the guy I just do not trust Wasyl in the centre of defence at this level...

With Ulloa in the side we seem to defend the near post far better from set pieces.

I think Babylon pointed it out first, but I'm sure we've moved to a predominantly zonal system at defensive set pieces this year compared to a predominantly man-marking system last year. I think it's worked far better than the system we were employing last year.

Our side aren't very aggressive when heading the ball besides Leo, we're not even a particularly small side really but just not very good at heading.

De Laet, Morgan, Hammond and Ulloa are 6ft+

Moore and Nugent are 5'11 too.

Maybe we lack a tall midfield player.

Funnily enough I was having a discussion about the height of football players down the pub yesterday, the old their smaller than they look on TV thing. I was shocked to find out bar the Ulloa who as a natural striker isn't going to be as good at defending set pieces from a mental stand point as a natural defender, I'm actually taller than ever player we in our team bar Ulloa. So while small isn't probably the right term we aren't particularly big.

It's not hard to see why Jedinak and Delaney 6'2 and 6'3 respectively, caused us problems.

Archived