Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bamba's Babes

When Will We Play Our Strongest 11?

Vardy is a striker, not a winger. Can never understand why people want to see players out of position.

Ulloa deserves to be dropped after two poor games? He's got five goals already this season! Doesn't take a genius to see he's a far superior player to Chris Wood

Good answer. Another thing people forget Strikers need decent service and players to lay off to.

I only saw part of the CP game,what I did see including yesterday Ulloas running off the ball, and dragging players away with him was top notch.He bungled a couple of balls where he lost control, so what!! his passing when he was involved was good, when he got himself in a good position, he hardly received the ball.A strikers chances to shine or be a knobhead, depends on his fellow players, and his reactions accordingly.He is not a Vardy who runs around the oppos backline.

Vardy and Ulloa need some games together, too early to say if they can be a dynamic duo, partnerships are rarely immediate successes.

I have nothing against Nugent, but I would like to see King play his position, especially away from home.

Another thing Vardy should now be playing through the center, not drifting consistently to the wing.

Whatever , NP chooses his teams of the day, too many fans demanding this or that set up, try sitting back be patient, I am sure NP is still learning,and testing to find his best partnerships and links around the squad.

7 games with various injuries still being carried is not helping

NP was angry yesterday, not on his selection, but how his choices fell off, even if it wasnt his 1st team in his wish list, (Just saying) The players on the pitch should have beaten Burnley, especially how the 1st 50 minutes panned out.

We have just been promoted, we are not just holding our heads above water, we have earnt respect,too many fans holding their heads too far above the clouds.

Again I thought yesterdays game was a good game, we aint Real Madrid or Chelsea, we are aiming to be a middle of the road PL team.Burnley were also good yesterdsy

Vardy is a striker, not a winger. Can never understand why people want to see players out of position.

Ulloa deserves to be dropped after two poor games? He's got five goals already this season! Doesn't take a genius to see he's a far superior player to Chris Wood

Ulloa got a knock early in first half that seemed to put him off game, his first touch wasn't up to his normal standard

Good post...play players in their bloody positions!

Vardy is an out and out striker. And the best at doing what he does. Ie playing off the last defender. It's the SUPPLY that is the problem from the centre. Costa must be dreamland playing up front with the supply he gets..

what kind of message would you send if you dropped players that were in form. Over the next few games Hammond will be phased out unless he performs well. Although I do agree James is a more complete footballer, he was injured at season start and Hammond has come in and done an excellent job. 

Maybe it's just my take on matters, but we seemed to implode when Ulloa came off. The ball just wouldn't stick up top. Subs seemed to weaken us today.

First person I've seen make this point (admittedly I couldn't be arsed to trawl through the post match thread) if Ulloa needed to come off it either had to be for Wood or a change in formation.

Our wingers were taking the piss out of Burnley's full backs and had plenty of chances to get to the ball in, but with only Vardy and Nugent in there we were just giving possession away and inviting pressure on ourselves. So frustrating to see.

Either Wood for Ulloa or James for Ulloa and we switch to a 433 with Schlupp and Mahrez pushing on, the subsequent subs did nothing to help the situation.

As for the OP, I don't know what our strongest 11 is, and I don't think Nigel does, nor anybody else. It's a learning curve we still have players like Lawrence, Albrighton and Powell to fit in. Nigel picks the side to win the game, I don't always agree with him, but I always support the players he picks.

what kind of message would you send if you dropped players that were in form. Over the next few games Hammond will be phased out unless he performs well. Although I do agree James is a more complete footballer, he was injured at season start and Hammond has come in and done an excellent job. 

That it doesn't matter how in form you are, nobody is bigger than the club, or more important. Priority 1 is results on the pitch, not risking upsetting someone. It doesn't matter how good Hammond has been playing his strengths are redundant in games like Burnley and Palace, have him on the bench to bring on to shore up the midfield, but we need to start with players that can score goals and make things happen in games we want to dominate.

Hammond played because Cambiasso was injured, that was our best 11. Quite where your getting Danny Simpson is better than De Laet from based on 20 minutes against Palace I have no idea. And where are we supposed to be magic'ing this Nugent replacement from?!?

Hammond played because Cambiasso was injured, that was our best 11. Quite where your getting Danny Simpson is better than De Laet from based on 20 minutes against Palace I have no idea. And where are we supposed to be magic'ing this Nugent replacement from?!?

Powell, Knocky, Lawrence, if we want a link up player. This is why I'm still pissed off we surrender the league cup, these players need games and a chance to prove what they can do, we still don't know what our strongest 11 is as we haven't tested out a number of new signings, be it through injury or being down the order, Powell, Lawrence, Albrighton, Simpson, Upson the likes of James and Knocky haven't featured much and we know what they could do in the Championship, but the prem is a different matter.

The league cup gives these player a chance.

It increasingly seems to me that we've lost all appetite for trying to win things by becoming solely focused on survival - and that's bloody dangerous.

I first felt it against Shrewsbury. We didn't give a shit and were tactically outthought and outmanouevred almost throughout. Yet there was a competition we should have prepared for and contested. A competition ideally suited for keeping players involved as well.

But no, we copped out and now Pearson's doing all sorts of rotating in a desperate bid to keep oeople happy when there's nothing else worthwhile to be playing in.

Against the better teams it was clear that anything we got by way of points was a bonus, hence a refreshingly positive outlook and a decent return. But against Palace and Burnley we seemed more concerned with not losing than actually winning and that despite the cushion of points won against the top sides and the fact that even one win over the two "weaker" sides would have put us within striking distance of the top six.

Last season we were positive - seemingly trying to win every game both home and away. But this season our entire philosophy seems to revolve around survival and it's selling us short. 

Another concern is that three times this season we seem to have been snookered tactically...against Shrewsbury, Palace and Burnley. I'd understand one inexplicable lapse but not three! I've spoken before about attention to detail and apart from team selection, ensuring all selected are fit, attention to key factors like attacking and defensive set-pieces another key factor is knowing the strengths and weaknesses of opponents and getting your tactics right.

But I'm just not convinced. Some of the things we do are naive beyond comprehension. Yet it's attention to these details that make the difference between being able to focus on positive targets rather than negative ones - rather like Southampton in recent seasons including this.

We've got some positive footballers and we need to play them. People who can keep the ball, pass it quickly, make things happen and deal positively with the threats. In this last department we're patently lacking. We can only go with our best available options. But that only emphasises how important it is to be positive at the other end and to maintain a threat. 

There's more ways than one to do that but letting people come on to us without the tactical intent to break quickly and in numbers is just asking for trouble. 

As is conceding thoughtlessly unnecessary free kicks as I warned after the Palace debacle. Premirship players have the ability to be precise so the penalty for such stupidity is likely to be harsher as has been so plainly demonstrated in the last two games - and others on occasions.

I've largely accepted we'll concede a goal a game because we're not really good enough to contain the kind of attackers we're up against. But there's no reason we can't score twice or more and certainly no reason to be conceding two against Burnley. We really need to attend to the finest details again, to regain some proper ambition and to start playing to our strengths.                  

Let's just be honest here though, the reason we conceded two on Saturday was two mistakes by Kasper. Should have jumped on the first one and completely out of position for the second. If he'd have had his head screwed on we'd have won. Which is why I'm questioning some of this panic switching people are going on about.

It increasingly seems to me that we've lost all appetite for trying to win things by becoming solely focused on survival - and that's bloody dangerous.

I first felt it against Shrewsbury. We didn't give a shit and were tactically outthought and outmanouevred almost throughout. Yet there was a competition we should have prepared for and contested. A competition ideally suited for keeping players involved as well.

But no, we copped out and now Pearson's doing all sorts of rotating in a desperate bid to keep oeople happy when there's nothing else worthwhile to be playing in.

Against the better teams it was clear that anything we got by way of points was a bonus, hence a refreshingly positive outlook and a decent return. But against Palace and Burnley we seemed more concerned with not losing than actually winning and that despite the cushion of points won against the top sides and the fact that even one win over the two "weaker" sides would have put us within striking distance of the top six.

Last season we were positive - seemingly trying to win every game both home and away. But this season our entire philosophy seems to revolve around survival and it's selling us short. 

Another concern is that three times this season we seem to have been snookered tactically...against Shrewsbury, Palace and Burnley. I'd understand one inexplicable lapse but not three! I've spoken before about attention to detail and apart from team selection, ensuring all selected are fit, attention to key factors like attacking and defensive set-pieces another key factor is knowing the strengths and weaknesses of opponents and getting your tactics right.

But I'm just not convinced. Some of the things we do are naive beyond comprehension. Yet it's attention to these details that make the difference between being able to focus on positive targets rather than negative ones - rather like Southampton in recent seasons including this.

We've got some positive footballers and we need to play them. People who can keep the ball, pass it quickly, make things happen and deal positively with the threats. In this last department we're patently lacking. We can only go with our best available options. But that only emphasises how important it is to be positive at the other end and to maintain a threat. 

There's more ways than one to do that but letting people come on to us without the tactical intent to break quickly and in numbers is just asking for trouble. 

As is conceding thoughtlessly unnecessary free kicks as I warned after the Palace debacle. Premirship players have the ability to be precise so the penalty for such stupidity is likely to be harsher as has been so plainly demonstrated in the last two games - and others on occasions.

I've largely accepted we'll concede a goal a game because we're not really good enough to contain the kind of attackers we're up against. But there's no reason we can't score twice or more and certainly no reason to be conceding two against Burnley. We really need to attend to the finest details again, to regain some proper ambition and to start playing to our strengths.

This........top post spot on.

I don't think Pearson knows his strongest 11, but surely he can see James is an all round better player than Hammond.

Of course he does, that's why they played him over Hammond all last year.

James has missed a mot of matches and training though so won't be match sharp. He looked good technically against Man U when he came on but I thought he looked quite slow and sluggish as well.

When he's up to speed with his sharpness then he'll be starting ahead of Hammond and King.

I like the 4-3-3 system we play and for that we need Mahrez up top with Vardy and Ulloa.

However (and I know I will get slated for this but during Jan when we are without two of our 1st teamers), I'd play...

KASPER (but he does need to go back to his old self somewhat)

SIMPSON        MOORE     MORGAN    UPSON    KONCH

DRINKWATER        CAMBIASSO        JAMES

ULLOA     VARDY

In a 5-3-2 formation, improving our link up play, sticking an extra man at the back which we need.

Defensively we've been pretty sub par at times this year, especially from set pieces AGAIN!

Someone dig out his posts from about a week ago. Jesus.

Why are people still banging on about 4-3-3 being our best formation.

We beat Man Utd by playing it, but come a week later we get our arse kicked by Crystal Palace.

4-3-3 is only good against teams, who don't play with out & out wingers. 

Why are people still banging on about 4-3-3 being our best formation.

We beat Man Utd by playing it, but come a week later we get our arse kicked by Crystal Palace.

4-3-3 is only good against teams, who don't play with out & out wingers. 

We played 4-4-2 with a diamond vs. Man Utd.

I like the 4-3-3 system we play and for that we need Mahrez up top with Vardy and Ulloa.

However (and I know I will get slated for this but during Jan when we are without two of our 1st teamers), I'd play...

KASPER (but he does need to go back to his old self somewhat)

SIMPSON        MOORE     MORGAN    UPSON    KONCH

DRINKWATER        CAMBIASSO        JAMES

ULLOA     VARDY

In a 5-3-2 formation, improving our link up play, sticking an extra man at the back which we need.

Defensively we've been pretty sub par at times this year, especially from set pieces AGAIN!

If you're going to play five at the back then RDL and Schlupp would be better suited.

Personally think that our strongest 11 would be something like

Schmeichel

Simpson Morgan Moore Konchesky

Drinkwater Cambiasso James

Mahrez-------------------------------Vardy

Ulloa

Imo, yes.

Archived