Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
burnleyfan

The gap between the Championship and PL

Bottom sides are woeful? You've just picked up 1 point in 9 from three of them. The step is massive. West Ham were average today, they pretty much scored from 3 out of 4 attacks.

Also, these two performances have been about our worst of the season. You snuck a draw against us playing our worst football of the season with your best performance of the season so far. Had we played to our full potential, you'd have been beaten with a bit to spare.

It's a big step up, and none of us are under illusions that we'll finish in the top six. It's highly unlikely we'll even make the top 10. However, mid table and comfortably avoiding relegation is very possible for us. I predicted us to finish anywhere between 10th and 16th this season and I haven't seen much to change my mind so far. I also predicted Burnley would finish 20th, and I've seen very little to change that mindset, Sunderland's laughable display today aside.

Can't beleive this has already become a Leicester are better than Burnley thread.

You seem to have come on here under the illusion that we all think the win against United has turned us into Real Madrid. You've come to the wrong part of the East Midlands for that kind of arrogance.

In measuring the gap between the Championship and the Premier League, you should measure yourself against the teams who have made the same step up. Call it peer assessment to use teaching parlance.

I, and most neutrals, consider Leicester to be ahead of Burnley and QPR right now.

That shows that we are mastering 'the gap' fairly well for now. I'd go on to say that we've mastered it better than Cardiff did last season, Palace did for the bulk of last season but we have something to learn from Hull. European football, a cup run and staying up comfortably with quality players is exactly what we want to achieve as a club. Therefore Hull are something of a benchmark (on the pitch, definitely not off it) in recent years for bridging the gap. Swansea far more so. If we can learn from the mistakes of others, we can equally learn from the successes of others.

What we've learned is that building a completely new team and going mad with the riches promotion gives you is counter productive. We've learned that from Cardiff and QPR. We've equally learned that coming up and spending next to nothing, like Burnley and Blackpool, is a ticket to instant relegation. The way to achieve stability in this division is through a small number of quality, well priced individuals giving a blend of experience and a goalscorer or two. It worked for Swansea, it worked for Hull, and I'm confident it'll work for us too.

So comparing ourselves to the teams who've made the same step up isn't arrogant willy waving, it's just good sense and learning what works. That's why we're comparing ourselves to Burnley and QPR right now.

How about the original question rather than just pick a fight with me.

Big step up, or not?

Any league in world football is a step up from the one above it. Hence you get promoted not relegated....

It is also clear than it is a far bigger step up for yourselves than ourselves....but that is expected given the size of your club and their ambitions.

There's no difference between bottom six in the prem and top six in the championship.

I think we're a worse side this year than last.

There's no difference between bottom six in the prem and top six in the championship.

I think we're a worse side this year than last.

Which really does show what a plonker you are.. From Burnley and QPR up, this division is full of talented and very capable squads of players.

It's not that big imo, the only reason for us struggling in the last 3 games is our own complacency.

Again..what nonsense!

What evidence have you that a Nigel Pearson side has suddenly become complacent? Do you believe he would allow this?

We got BEAT! It happens. Palace were better than us, and so were Newcastle.

Get over it.

newcastle were better than us because we were shit, not because the premier league is an impossibly hard league with such incredible squads. if we'd played bristol rovers today they'd probably have been better than us too. 

couldn't have been much worse, nobody could, that's why newcastle won. that's why burnley got a point. that's why, unless we sort ourselves out, we'll lose to the likes of west brom, sunderland, villa etc. not because they are incredible squads who we have no chance of beating because the gap between us is so huge, but because our performances are letting us down 

Again..what nonsense!

What evidence have you that a Nigel Pearson side has suddenly become complacent? Do you believe he would allow this?

We got BEAT! It happens. Palace were better than us, and so were Newcastle.

Get over it.

newcastle were better than us because we were shit, not because the premier league is an impossibly hard league with such incredible squads. if we'd played bristol rovers today they'd probably have been better than us too. 

Answered it for me.

And where have I said Pearson's become complacent? I'm talking about the players. I know Pearson has to 'get them up for it' but he can only do so much. I'm not saying the players aren't trying, as they always try i'm sure however not trying and being complacent are two different things to me.

couldn't have been much worse, nobody could, that's why newcastle won. that's why burnley got a point. that's why, unless we sort ourselves out, we'll lose to the likes of west brom, sunderland, villa etc. not because they are incredible squads who we have no chance of beating because the gap between us is so huge, but because our performances are letting us down

You are grossly underestimating our opposition. Typical Leicester that. There are two sides in any football match. The opposition will not let us turn them over. You better get used to it. We will lose many more football matches this season. As long as we win some too, which I think we will, we will compete and stay up.

You are grossly underestimating our opposition. Typical Leicester that. There are two sides in any football match. The opposition will not let us turn them over. You better get used to it. We will lose many more football matches this season. As long as we win some too, which I think we will, we will compete and stay up.

As are the players imo, hence why i'm saying they are complacent. That's not saying our team is worse than theirs but it is saying I honestly think sometimes we turn up and we think that's all we have to do in some games - no, you need to dig it and fight, which we've not in the last 3 games.

Answered it for me.

And where have I said Pearson's become complacent? I'm talking about the players. I know Pearson has to 'get them up for it' but he can only do so much. I'm not saying the players aren't trying, as they always try i'm sure however not trying and being complacent are two different things to me.

Why would our players suddenly become complacent? Again, we got beat, by one goal. Get over it, learn from it and move on.

Why would our players suddenly become complacent? Again, we got beat, by one goal. Get over it, learn from it and move on.

The team hasn't since Palace have they? I can accept the odd loss and odd poor performance but 3 poor performances which consisted of 2 losses 1 game which we chucked away, that's not learning and moving on to me.

The team hasn't since Palace have they? I can accept the odd loss and odd poor performance but 3 poor performances which consisted of 2 losses 1 game which we chucked away, that's not learning and moving on to me.

You aren't getting my point.. do I need to say it again?

Palace are a strong side in the bottom half section of this division. They were BETTER than us on the day. Our lads were trying. They don't suddenly become billy big bollox because we have won a few games. We weren't good enough on the day and Palace were. As I said to Scouse... get used to this. It's a tough division and we will continue to have good days and bad days.

You aren't getting my point.. do I need to say it again?

Palace are a strong side in the bottom half section of this division. They were BETTER than us on the day. Our lads were trying. They don't suddenly become billy big bollox because we have won a few games. We weren't good enough on the day and Palace were. As I said to Scouse... get used to this. It's a tough division and we will continue to have good days and bad days.

Fair enough it's your opinion.

My opinion is we were awful, we made them the better team, and when I admit they were the better team, they weren't much better, it was marginal - I know that can be the difference, it was the difference but if we were on the top of our game and turned up we'd have had a chance the fact we didn't meant we had no chance in the game.

Listen i'm one of the first to admit when a team is better than us, but i'm also one of the first to admit when we were poor and we have to look at our own performances.

I've gone from not being able to pick a MOTM in the first few games because all of them were ****ing excellent to not being able to pick a MOTM because as a team they've all been ****ing dire.

Fair enough it's your opinion.

My opinion is we were awful, we made them the better team, and when I admit they were the better team, they weren't much better, it was marginal - I know that can be the difference, it was the difference but if we were on the top of our game and turned up we'd have had a chance the fact we didn't meant we had no chance in the game.

Listen i'm one of the first to admit when a team is better than us, but i'm also one of the first to admit when we were poor and we have to look at our own performances.

I've gone from not being able to pick a MOTM in the first few games because all of them were ****ing excellent to not being able to pick a MOTM because as a team they've all been ****ing dire.

Its my contention that if anybody has become complacent is some of the posters on here. Lets have it right. Fook knows how we beat Stoke. And the UTD game, however brilliant was one of those freaky results that somehow crop up in football.

Keep your feet on the ground is my advice. Don't underestimate just how good some of the teams in this division can be. And take it one game at a time. You never know, you might be pleasantly surprised against Swansea.

Its my contention that if anybody has become complacent is some of the posters on here. Lets have it right. Fook knows how we beat Stoke. And the UTD game, however brilliant was one of those freaky results that somehow crop up in football.

Keep your feet on the ground is my advice. Don't underestimate just how good some of the teams in this division can be. And take it one game at a time. You never know, you might be pleasantly surprised against Swansea.

Believe me, I have lowered my expectations, I expect nothing against Swansea after these 3 games, imo Swansea aren't a big enough club for the team to 'be up for' or motivated for, so who know I might be pleasantly surprised seeing as I expect nothing.

By the way talking about keeping your feet on the ground - it's exactly what I said after the Man Utd game and look whats happened.

http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/topic/97250-leicester-city-v-manchester-united-post-match-thread-5-3/?p=3148036

Talking in the Man Utd Post Match Thread;

Wow, speechless.

Amazing, I thought at 2-0 we could still get a draw at 3-1 I thought it was all over, how I was wrong, never doubt those lads!

I don't really know what to say, i'm stunned!

Man Utd were good until the last 30 then they just seemed to collapse and fall apart.

How we have played so far, the points we've got so far is a statement but I just hope we go to Palace and win. I wary of the next two, two games we should win, given our form, given who we've played but will we? Feel like i'm discounting today abit, i'm not far from it, enjoy now, enjoy it lots but feet on ground and keep focused!!

Believe me, I have lowered my expectations, I expect nothing against Swansea after these 3 games, imo Swansea aren't a big enough club for the team to 'be up for' or motivated for, so who know I might be pleasantly surprised seeing as I expect nothing.

By the way talking about keeping your feet on the ground - it's exactly what I said after the Man Utd game and look whats happened.

http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/topic/97250-leicester-city-v-manchester-united-post-match-thread-5-3/?p=3148036

Talking in the Man Utd Post Match Thread;

Fair play Matt. Then stick to your conviction mate..

Which really does show what a plonker you are.. From Burnley and QPR up, this division is full of talented and very capable squads of players.

Difference of opinion = "plonker". I've actually, y'know, watched our games against palace and Newcastle. I'm telling you now that, even with the money they've spent, both would not have got anywhere near our 102 points last season. And yet we've lost to both without scoring, and sadly without really trying to win.

Plenty of people agree with me in this thread alone. I've never thought anybody below Manchester United last season was any good and I was in record as such a year ago.

I think you could throw a blanket over the teams 10th to 25th in the English league structure right now.

I don't think there's a massive difference as over publiced.

Apart from maybe your top 6-8/9 teams I think the other teams a pretty average with the odd bit of quality. How teams set up is different with a lot more need to dominate possession and cancel out opponents.

IMO Newcastle looked a very average team today, we have to much respect in first half and gave them too much time on the ball to let the look good. Our problem at the minute is lack of creativity, we have Ulloa coming back far to deep when he is our target man. We need to change our style of play to allow forward to push higher up and use our pace to work of the last man

Archived