Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

The Setup.

For me, the way we setup at games this season has got to change.

I still believe our best performance this season was away at the bridge. As great as the united victory was, as well as the point against arsenal, we had no helping hand/luck at the bridge.

We sat deep and broke quickly...simple.

We need to return to that.

Today we were not too defensive at all, in fact the opposite, too open and attacking. Their goal came on the came from a counter attack, which would not have occurred if we played like a side which accepts it has limitations as well as the least quality in the league with the exception of Burnley.

1st on Grewks thread

Spot for sale

Until 60 minutes we did nothing but sit back and counter every 5 minutes or so with no real impact

and it was 0-0...a point gained....therefore it was working.

After 60 minutes we tried your 'attacking' approach and conceded almost instantly.

I wasnt bothered in the slightest last season when we were shit at corners because not only do I think its harder and harder to score from them these days, we were not at all reliant on them.

Where we do have a problem is when we are leaving ourselves defensively wide open from countless amounts of shit corners in the Premier League. That, and the fact we are getting so many. Simply not good enough.

Its a difficult one about the overall set up because we restricted them to very little for the first hour. Our plan was clearly to then go 3 up top and cause problems and on another day we may well have snatched a goal and won it.

On the flip side you could argue we should have just attacked them and piled on the pressure that way. Suppose the risk of that is an open game gives them the chance of putting a few past us and gaining confidence

Three league games last season we failed to score in, now I know we've gone up a division but we've already had three games where we've failed to score, two of those away at pretty average sides in Palace and Newcastle. I can't help but feel we've changed our style of play to suit Ulloa and when he's off his game/lacking support, which has been happening, we're left devoid of any ideas.

I don't get why people thought Crystal Palace were or would have been an average side.

They're more than capable of doing well in this division and sounds like many fans heavily underestimated them.

They finished 11th last season, which is pretty much the definition of average (for a premier league side, which I appreciate may not have been the point you're arguing against).

Then in the summer they replaced a manager who has never been relegated with one who has never not been relegated or sacked in a top flight season.

They're not exactly Real Madrid. Both Palace and Newcastle will be within 6 points of the drop come the end of the season.

They finished 11th last season, which is pretty much the definition of average (for a premier league side, which I appreciate may not have been the point you're arguing against).

Then in the summer they replaced a manager who has never been relegated with one who has never not been relegated or sacked in a top flight season.

They're not exactly Real Madrid. Both Palace and Newcastle will be within 6 points of the drop come the end of the season.

Bold statement but fair play if you think that. Personally think Palace will be comfortably fine come May. Newcastle not so much. 

Regardless of 'the setup' (which sounds like an awful Hollywood movie), if we are going to be so clueless, wasteful and sloppy in the final third as we are today, we will lose plenty of games.

I thought the midfield did alright today and on the whole defensivley we were ok. The issue was the choice of front three from NP. It left Ulloa isolated and was desperately missing someone to drag them about (Vardy) and someone to run at them (Mahrez).

Schlupp starting today was bizarre. I can understand it against the top teams as he acts as cover for Konchesky, but we need someone with better quality going forward in games like today. I felt for Albrighton though, he'd have thrived on the space Nugent was given.

Pearson got it horribly wrong against Burnley and nothing changed today. My fears from the 12/13 season regarding his tactical abilities are starting to show themselves again. Let's hope they are soon banished.

Bold statement but fair play if you think that. Personally think Palace will be comfortably fine come May. Newcastle not so much. 

I think Palace will be Warnocked, they've started off with a bit of style but Warnock tends to move away from flair and bring in grafters and become negative, so Bolasie, Zaha, Puncheon will be less effective as Colin sits there ranting at referees and conspiracies.

I felt for Albrighton though, he'd have thrived on the space Nugent was given.

I would argue that Nugent created the space that he was getting. Unfortunately went he gets the ball, he's just not as good as the top drawer players.

He has no idea whether they will be in those positions Stan. Its just another huge assumption, backed up by nothing.

Having played what? 8 games?

He has no idea whether they will be in those positions Stan. Its just another huge assumption, backed up by nothing.

Having played what? 8 games?

Jesus Col have a day off, you've obviously decided you don't like me and aren't even going to bother reading my posts so just stick me on ignore. This is getting embarrassing. I'd like to think we're both old enough and ugly enough to see that really a couple of your posts in the last day or so are probably not really what you're about.

As for my post, It's a statement of opinion, we'll come back and discuss it at the end if the season (assuming that you haven't taken my advice and put me on ignore). God knows we all wasted enough time last season debating your ultimately correct assertion that short-priced favourites QPR would get promoted last season.

Cheer up.

The pace that Newcastle possess was always going to be a danger, I was surprised to see us outnumbered so much actually, thought we'd have been better prepared for the counters. We got lucky when collo missed that sitter from their first counter attack.

Archived