Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Hirsty The Blue 94

Team for Swansea?

Agree about Cambiasso. Perfect to bring on when in front and just drop an extra man in the middle. We bring him on 2nd half against Burnley and we see it out comfortably.

Or at least give him a go in a two man midfield. I'm sure with Drinky being as dynamic as he is and Mahrez and Knockaert drifting into the middle for fun as they do it would still be pretty balanced if EC could only sit a bit deep and screen along the half way line.

Schmeichel

De Laet

Morgan

Moore

Konchesky

James

Cambiasso

Drinkwater

Mahrez

Vardy

Ulloa

That's our best team. I just want us to start one match with our best team. Clean slate, tell them season starts again, go out and play like you did last season. Pearson has got to pick a team and stick to it now.

Agreed. Simpson / De Laet the only question mark. Pearson needs to settle his best team, or we'll spend the whole season fiddling about with the Hammonds, Schlupps, Nugents, Kings and Woods of the world. And they aren't, quite frankly, good enough.

From the 56th to 72nd minutes, with Vardy and Nugent either side of Ulloa; and a midfield three of Cambi-James-DD, we were briefly on top. If Nugent had made more of his openings, as NP suggested he should have, then we would have been ahead. Swap him for Mahrez and we're about there. And if we hadn't had a right back pissing around in the left wing berth we probably wouldn't have gone behind either, though whether it's a matter of insisting on more positional discipline from existing players, or bringing in new ones, I don't know.

I'm unsure about Ulloa starting. He's been sussed out and Swansea will just put a couple people on him, which is a damn shame because he is about the only person that can hit the target. 

We need to get players close to him though. He was poor yesterday but he had little chance when he had no support from Schlupp or Albrighton. Vardy will be much closer to him if he starts in a front 2 or 3, as would Nugent, and Mahrez if he's cutting in from the right.

Arguably our best players, but with a formation that has worked about twice in 20-odd attempts? No thanks Jeff. "Go out and play like you did last season", absolutely, by playing 442 and actually trying to win games, like we did last season, please.

It's a fair point, and one I'd consider. But I'm not sure that that would would include our best players at the moment. Our wingers are mainly badly out of form, Mahrez probably the exception. Who plays on the other side in a 4-4-2?

We have tried to win games at home - including the Man Utd game which was our best performance - and that was with the same system as above (but replace Hammond with James and Nuge with Mahrez) Last season's best team isn't necessarily this season's best team, but we do need to play with the same philosophy.

Yesterday we just completely forgot the basics of our success. Isolating one striker and hoofing it up, playing with no tempo.

Fans still continue with this three in the middle bollocks, did it work against Palace?...NO. Did it work against Newcastle?...NO.

It worked against Man Utd.

The system is nothing to do with why we haven't played well the last 3 games - it's the personnel and philosophy.

Clearly you can't see that if you are including Schlupp. We will continue to do poorly with passengers and poor players in the starting 11.

Kasper

De laet

Moore

Morgan ©

Schuulp

James

Drinkwater

Cambiasso

Mahrez

Wood

Nugent

443. think wood deserves a chance. Says he wants to fight for his place and with us not shooting let alone scoring enough i think he deserves a chance to prove himself. Nugent is a very important player imo and mahrez is arguably are best player atm.

Subs:

Hamer

Simpson

Was

Knockaert

Powell

Ulloa

Vardy

It worked against Man Utd.

The system is nothing to do with why we haven't played well the last 3 games - it's the personnel and philosophy.

Clearly you can't see that if you are including Schlupp. We will continue to do poorly with passengers and poor players in the starting 11.

It worked against Man Utd because they didn't play with out & out wingers.

Crystal Palace played with out & out wingers in Bolasie & Puncheon, and Bolasie especially really exposed us, because we had no wingers playing to support De Laet & Konch. 

We matched Newcastle for 70 minutes, then we changed formation to an attacking 4-3-3, we might of looked better going forward, but we conceded after we brought Nugent & Vardy on, maybe because we didn't have the likes of Albrighton & Schlupp on the field to track back.

If we go 4-3-3 against Swansea, same will happen as it did against Palace, full-backs having no support, and there's Pearson setting his team up basically saying "Come on Routledge & Dyer, come and run rings round us", because that's what will happen if we leave our full-backs exposed. 

Schlupp is in there for defensive reason's, why does he continue to get slated, we played 4-4-1-1 at the start of the season & Schlupp didn't look out of place. I'd rather go with Schlupp than Knockaert in away games, having Knockaert giving the ball away will leave us exposed, and will allow Swansea to break & cause us problems, Knockaert defensively never does enough work, you saw it against Burnley when he got absolutely skinned & failed to stop the cross, which ending up leading to James giving away a free-kick, which then led to the goal. 

The system is everything, you cannot afford to play a 4-3-3 away from home with teams who play with wingers, Palace & Newcastle games are evidence of that, and if we play the same against Swansea, I can see the same happening again.

It's a game Swansea should win on paper. They will have lots of possession and probably try and play quite high up so I think we need to have a solid core to handle that, but with pace and directness when we get the chance to counter.

Schmeichel

De Laet

Morgan

Moore

Konchesky

Hammond/Cambiasso

James

Drinkwater

Mahrez

Vardy

Nugent

Plenty of pace and dynamism among the front three is our best chance of getting anything out of it in my view. Vardy and Nuge capable of putting in a shift defensively too.

Watching Swansea v Stoke, all of their best play is through intricate central passing. Not too much going down the wings so I'd rather have three central midfielders there. That said, if Swansea do attack the full backs with Dyer and Routledge, we could be left quite exposed.

Ulloa would be an excellent option off the bench if we wanted to change the system or need to go a bit more direct. Whichever way we choose to go, it's going to be a very big ask to get anything there.

Kasper

De laet

Moore

Morgan ©

Schuulp

James

Drinkwater

Cambiasso

Mahrez

Wood

Nugent

443. think wood deserves a chance. Says he wants to fight for his place and with us not shooting let alone scoring enough i think he deserves a chance to prove himself. Nugent is a very important player imo and mahrez is arguably are best player atm.

Subs:

Hamer

Simpson

Was

Knockaert

Powell

Ulloa

Vardy

Think it's pretty spot on IMO. Koch has been ok but lived a little dangerous yesterday, against a better team I think we would of felt the effects. Schlupp v. Dyer will be better competition and may cancel Dyer out a little more.

Cambiasso to sit on Sigurdsson whilst DD and James push forward.

Not sure about wood, although Ulloa hasn't been great in recent weeks still think he is our biggest threat, if we play more attacking and allow him to stay up and not have to come back to defend I'm sure he will get the goals.

Swansea losing , no win in 5 looks like another team who we can help out with getting them back in form by losing to them.

Yep - typical! (Though palace were off the back of a good win)

Powell is not the player to sit Inbetween the lines and harry the sitting midfielder. I saw no evidence in his Wigan performances that he has the energy required.

Kasper

Simpson - time for RDL to be dropped.

Konch

Wasyl - Moore loses his man too much. Puts his body on the line etc but most of these last ditch tackles/blocks are through poor positioning or losing his man.

Morgan

Cambiasso

James

Drinky

Mahrez

I would go for a diamond midfield with cambiasso in front of the defence and Mahrez behind the front two. James and Drinky can then play in the centre and we will still have a solid base.

Vardy

Ulloa.

Why we didn't start Vardy yesterday was beyond me. Ulloa had little support because the wingers were so ineffective. We badly miss his energy Nd enthusiasm when he doesn't play.

Kasper

Simpson - time for RDL to be dropped.

Konch

Wasyl - Moore loses his man too much. Puts his body on the line etc but most of these last ditch tackles/blocks are through poor positioning or losing his man.

Morgan

Cambiasso

James

Drinky

Mahrez

I would go for a diamond midfield with cambiasso in front of the defence and Mahrez behind the front two. James and Drinky can then play in the centre and we will still have a solid base.

Vardy

Ulloa.

Why we didn't start Vardy yesterday was beyond me. Ulloa had little support because the wingers were so ineffective. We badly miss his energy Nd enthusiasm when he doesn't play.

I'd be very happy if this happened.

I've said it about Moore too. He's going to be a superb defender but right now we need solidity. Was would have knocked Obertan out of the ground rather than let him ghost past and shoot.

4-4-2 diamond or 4-4-2 for me. Only risk with a diamond is that Swansea are strong out wide.

I'd go with this;

Schmeichel

Simpson - Morgan - Moore - Konchesky

Albrighton - James - Drinkwater - Mahrez

Nugent - Vardy

Bench to include the likes of Ulloa, Knockaert, Powell and Cambiasso.

De Laet would get absolutely ripped apart by Routledge. It's Bolasie all over again. He has never convinced me defensively and we simply aren't getting away with it, especially in a game like this. Simpson is largely untried, but I fail to believe he's any worse than De Laet defensively. Konchesky was awful at Newcastle but even the thought of Schlupp against Nathan Dyer gives me insomnia, so he will have to do.

That midfield duo is the best of a two we can pick and I thought at Newcastle they played quite well together in parts of the second half.

Albrighton's a funny one I know, but I would rather go with him than Knockaert or Schlupp at the minute. Granted, he's done very little, but I bet he's played about ninety minutes all season. Give him a proper chance before writing him off. He can quite clearly deliver a ball. Mahrez is the second name on the teamsheet after Vardy. He's on a completely different level to any winger we have at the minute, he is without a doubt starting this game.

Vardy as I say is a banker to start. I could understand Mahrez being omitted (though maybe not from the 18) at Newcastle, but why the **** did Vardy not start? He's our most dangerous player. I say Nugent over Ulloa for two reasons - one of them is that with Ulloa, our defenders are doing exactly what they always do whenever we sign a big man, it happened with Wood and Kane and it's happening again with Ulloa, we're hoofing it rather than playing out of defence. It's almost like doing the opposition's defending for them. It's shit football that we can't even effectively play. Ulloa's lack of presence might actually make them think twice about hoofing it, though that shouldn't need Nugent's presence to do. The other reason is he's far more comfortable dropping deeper than Ulloa and Vardy are - we will need that against these. They dictate the game from deep and will try and pass it through us. Nugent being there won't allow that to happen so easily. Whilst I think he needs to offer more in front of goal to be a regular in this league, he will have to suffice next weekend. In the long-term I'd like to see us buy a forward of his ilk, but one who scores as well.

That's what I'd go with. I'm not expecting much as we're not as good as these, but you never know. I did say yesterday morning it would be very typical of Leicester to lose to Newcastle and win at Swansea - we're half way there.

Archived