Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NeilLCFC

Wood / Ulloa

Anyone else seeing similarities from when Wood joined us? had a few amazing games and has never been the same again, and what seems to be happening with Ulloa at the moment?

I remember our whole style of football changed after we signed Wood and we went for long balls which resulted in that horror run. Personally I feel we have a team capable of competing in this league but since Ulloa has shown what he can do we seem to have changed our whole strategy And brand of football - pretty much what happened after we signed Wood!

*I'd like to make clear that this isn't some sort of witch hunt against Ulloa or Wood as I think they are great players. 

There are too many similarities...we played decent football before we signed either Wood or Ulloa, both come here and have a couple of amazing games and we look like we could have any team in the land. A few games later and the tactics seem to have changed, players throughout the team look like they've lost interest and we're loosing games we should be winning.

I've always defended Nige on here and still stand by him but I can't help but feel this is down to him.

Guest seanfox778

It's only been 3 games. We haven't really given him the service in those games either. We've lacked adventure in the 3 games and hopefully this is being addressed in training. There's no doubt for me that if he gets a chance he'll more then likely tuck it away, hasn't he got 5 goals from 6 shots? We just need to create more and the goals will come back for him.

Completely different footballers, Wood was a poacher, all about the finish, whereas Ulloa has hold up, ball control, and prowess in the air, so even if we do change and you are right which im not sure of, it'd probably be better. I actually think the reason we have changed is we have no link from midfield to attack, so we hit it long, this is why Nuge is so important and why Powell could also be very important.

Don't think we can blame Ulloa for our performances. He rarely gets on the ball because we lose it too often in midfield or on the wings. Hoofing the ball up field is leaving him to try and win it in the air which from watching him, its not his game. He is better with the ball at feet.

I'm looking more at our defensive frailties and lack of creativity in the middle.

What has happened to Drinkwater? I thought he would be one player we could rely on to find the creative pass. We lack someone in midfield who can spray the ball around the pitch and find openings... We seem to pass our self out of possession.

Their is nothing to panic about at the moment but if we stay in this form coming into January I can see a few additions coming in.

Wood should be replacing Ulloa for the last 20 odd minutes in every game for me. By then, Leo has ran his socks off, even on Saturday, we hardly gave him any service, but his tracking back and defending was excellent. Wood is a very good finisher too, he might not do much else but that one chance I'd back him to put it away.

Don't think we can blame Ulloa for our performances. He rarely gets on the ball because we lose it too often in midfield or on the wings. Hoofing the ball up field is leaving him to try and win it in the air which from watching him, its not his game. He is better with the ball at feet.

I'm looking more at our defensive frailties and lack of creativity in the middle.

What has happened to Drinkwater? I thought he would be one player we could rely on to find the creative pass. We lack someone in midfield who can spray the ball around the pitch and find openings... We seem to pass our self out of possession.

Their is nothing to panic about at the moment but if we stay in this form coming into January I can see a few additions coming in.

I'm not saying it's Ulloa or Wood's fault. It just seems that our tactic changed to hoof the ball to them, it didn't work in the championship with Wood and there is no way it'll work in the PL so I don't understand why we're doing it all over again

Just because he hasn't scored, doesn't mean he's been poor. His link up play has still been good, it's just a shame he hasn't had a strike partner close to him. Lacking in service, too. We had two wingers on a Saturday and not once did they produce a good cross.

Both players are excellent with the ball at their feet but because they're a couple of inches taller than Nugent, it's suddenly assumed that they're target men.

Ulloa drops back a lot more than Wood but that's probably down to the style of football he is use to. La Liga, to me, seems to put a lot of emphasis on passing moves that involve the main striker dropping back.

I'm a big fan of Chris Wood, before every match this season he has done an extra 10 minutes of shooting practice with Kevin Phillips, as anyone else noticed this? What disappoints me the most is that we all know how good he can be; in his first few games he was outstanding. 

Starting them both would certainly be interesting. It could work but you'd be relying on Ulloa to link the play; I'm sure he's capable of doing so. 

I feel sorry for ulloa, because the players know he has a quality first touch they seem to just hoof balls up to him or ping them to his chest and expect him to control the ball. We played better as a team when we were playing balls into his feet & players were running off of him.

Against Newcastle when he had the ball to feet he set up the opportunity for James who fluffed a sitter.

Just because he hasn't scored, doesn't mean he's been poor. His link up play has still been good, it's just a shame he hasn't had a strike partner close to him. Lacking in service, too. We had two wingers on a Saturday and not once did they produce a good cross.

apart from the two great balls Albrighton put in first half

Ulloa played averagely on Saturday but bar the lacks of chances he was given there was no change in his style of play. The effort was there, held up well and drove forward on occasions too (Matty James' chance been the good example of this). He was guilty of a few wayward passes, as was everybody but I think the system this weekend didn't suit him as he needs another striker playing off him and 2 wingers to supply the chances. That's why we lost on saturday as, until Nugent and Vardy came on, we created little with Albrighton (who showed glimpses of quality with his crossing) and particularly Schlupp whodg awful all game. The midfield were also less influential than we know they can be but it was a bad day at the office. 

In short, Ulloa, despite a few average games, looks like everything I hoped and still believe Chris Wood would and can be. Early days yet, early days.

His link-up play has been iffy since the Man Utd game.

The amount of basic errors he made at Newcastle was ridiculous.

Still think he's been a great buy but we need to keep him scoring and keep playing to his strengths. He's proven that if you give him a chance he'll most likely take it.

His link-up play has been iffy since the Man Utd game.

The amount of basic errors he made at Newcastle was ridiculous.

Still think he's been a great buy but we need to keep him scoring and keep playing to his strengths. He's proven that if you give him a chance he'll most likely take it.

Agreed. He's been sloppy, but then our whole team has. I'd prefer to see him up front with Nugent for the Swans game, with two more orthodox wingers providing him with balls in the box.

still keep seeing that mad stat that he's scored with pretty much every shot on target he's had, which shows if we give him chances he'll likely do something with them. but also brings up a decent question; when did he last have a shot?! 

in fact i've answered my own question via squawka. ulloa had a blocked shot in the 87th minute vs palace (a). other than that he's not even attempted a shot at goal for a month. 

i don't know who or what is to blame here but that is pathetic. our line leading striker (and our one up front man vs newcastle) has had one blocked attempted shot in the past 3 games.

Poor guy. Knew he would be the victim of his own success.

I actually thought he did ok on Saturday, layed a goal on a plate for James and would have won a penalty had the ref not been hopeless.

Of all the players I'm looking to drop from Saturday he's among the last on the list.

Archived