Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stuliasz

Match Ratings : Newcastle 1-0 Leicester : Results & Man of the Match

Another Award for Morgan as Wide Men Struggle

lcfcratings.wordpress.com

Saturday 18 October, 15:00
Barclays Premier League
St James' Park, Newcastle

Newcastle United 1
Obertan 71'

Leicester City 0

Wes Morgan picked up his third man of the match award this season after he was voted the standout player in City's 1-0 defeat at Newcastle United. The travelling Leicester support were understandably in no mood to be generous with this week's ratings, with City's third consecutive winless game coming after a 370-mile round trip and an hour-long delay to kick off. The early season performance levels are a distant memory as only a handful of players received above-average ratings - substitute Jamie Vardy followed behind Morgan in second, while Schmeichel, Moore and Drinkwater were possibly the only other players to come out with anything resembling credit from the voting support.

There were some noticeably poor performances from City's wide men, particularly on the left where Jeff Schlupp received a very poor rating for his 58 minute contribution. Paul Konchesky had a mistake-ridden match which saw him lucky not to be directly responsible for a goal, and he received his worst rating of the season as a result. Marc Albrighton made his long awaited first start but City fans were not impressed with his performance, nor that of substitute Anthony Knockaert who was narrowly voted worse than out-of-form striker Leo Ulloa.

It was not a good day for manager Nigel Pearson who is continuing to watch his side's early-season work going to waste after just 1 point out of a possible 9 against bottom-half sides. While panic has not set in yet, Pearson did not fare well in the voting with an unfortunately predictable drop in overall confidence as well a matchday rating only slightly better than worst player Schlupp. Martin Atkinson and his officiating colleagues received an average rating slightly higher than that of most City players suggesting they weren't thought to be a deciding factor in the defeat. Newcastle were given the lowest rating of any opposition City have faced this season, a fact which makes the defeat all the more disappointing.

Total Votes : 194

Man of the Match : Wes Morgan*

1. Wes Morgan : 6.03
  2. (SUB) Jamie Vardy : 5.72
  3. Kasper Schmeichel : 5.69
  4. Liam Moore : 5.63
  5. Danny Drinkwater : 5.50
  6. Matty James : 5.14 (.144)
  7. (SUB) David Nugent : 5.14 (.139)
  8. Ritchie de Laet : 5.06
  9. Esteban Cambiasso : 4.91
  10. Leonardo Ulloa : 4.59
  11. (SUB) Anthony Knockaert : 4.58
  12. Marc Albrighton : 4.54
  13. Paul Konchesky : 4.26
  14. Jeff Schlupp : 3.69

* Man of the match selected using weighted average based on minutes played. Actual ratings as voted shown above.

Manager Performance : 4.16

Opposition Performance : 4.71

Officials Performance (Ref: Martin Atkinson) : 5.34

Overall Manager Confidence : 86.10% (-10.39%)

Knocky getting higher rating than Albrighton & Schlupp is funny. Knocky made us worse.

He was on whilst we were chasing the game and for less time than those two, and we were far better in that period than before he  was on so not sure how he made us worse even if he was crap. Considering Albrighton & Schlupp were absolutely useless it would be extremely harsh to rate anyone lower than them considering they were on from the start.

There's got to be something I'm missing about these stats of the manager going or not. Surely one in ten didn't actually decide they wanted Pearson out based on that did they?

If that's accurate, then I'm embarrassed to support the same club as those 1 in 10.

I think that question is too hard to understand for a lot of people for some reason. Quite a few people seem to think it means, "Did NP get this match right or wrong?". I don't know how you could make it any clearer than it's already worded.

In case you are one of these people, the question asking whether NP should stay or go means just that - after the match in question, do you think the club should sack the manager?

If that's accurate, then I'm embarrassed to support the same club as those 1 in 10.

I think that question is too hard to understand for a lot of people for some reason. Quite a few people seem to think it means, "Did NP get this match right or wrong?". I don't know how you could make it any clearer than it's already worded.

In case you are one of these people, the question asking whether NP should stay or go means just that - after the match in question, do you think the club should sack the manager?

That's what I thought, but it's pretty bloody clear now what it means. I'm in actual disbelief that anyone could want him out, let alone a tenth who voted based on one game lol

Some very high ratings for mediocre showings there. I see some foxes are big fans of garbage performances.

You do know mediocre really means 'average, ordinary, run-of-the-mill etc.' Therefore the ratings reflect perfectly the 'mediocre' performance you say!?

This does make me laugh it's peoples opinions on the game against Newcastle, it was a poor performance and result against a team who are poor who will be in and around the bottom three all season.

The manager got it badly wrong both with team selection and tactics and formation.

I believe the report, ratings and overall assesment is fair.

Why shouldn't the manager be criticised or his rating fall? It makes perfect sense doesn't necessarily mean people want him sacked? However, if he continues with bizarre team selections, formation and set up people will turn.

On rewatch (I rewatched the match (because I'm an idiot)), I don't think Albrighton was as bad as I initially did so I feel that's a bit harsh on him. He did come closest to scoring, albeit unintentionally. You could sit there and eat grass in the centre circle and then go hit the post with your one touch and I think you deserve better than like RDL and James.

I think the entire back 4 was abysmal, along with most of the front six.

This game seems to have divided opinion like no other I've seen so far this season. Hopefully this justifies why this exercise is useful each week as with so many voters, you get a fairly good impression of the happy (or unhappy) medium between the extreme views.

Ulloa didn't deserve such a low rating.

This. His hold up play was good and his play to set up James was superb, starved of service and only supported by the woeful Schulpp and average Albrighton.

To have Moore, RDL and Cambiasso with higher ratings beggars belief for me.

This. His hold up play was good and his play to set up James was superb, starved of service and only supported by the woeful Schulpp and average Albrighton.

To have Moore, RDL and Cambiasso with higher ratings beggars belief for me.

Cambiasso will never get a low rating because he's Cambiasso. Moore is 'one of our own' so likewise.

Cambiasso will never get a low rating because he's Cambiasso. Moore is 'one of our own' so likewise.

Even The Times on Monday (whose ratings are usually very good) had Cambiasso and Ulloa as our only two players with '7' ratings this weekend

It's clear reputation gets you a long way in this game.

I don't think criticising player performance or alluding to the fact that players who are either homegrown or with big reputations be treated favourably in terms of ratings is treated people as scapegoats.

When did we all get so touchy?

cambiasso got a rating of 4.91?! how much lower do you want it to be? if he'd have got an 8 or something for a pretty poor performance i'd see where you and the other people who have it in for him are coming from but he got a rating of less than 5!! 

like i said to col when he was crying about our fans actually liking one of our players in a different thread, he's played 4 games for us. he was immense at stoke and turned the game. so got a high rating. he was great against united and scored the equalising goal which sparked off celebrations some claim to never have seen the like of before. so got a high rating. he was "best of a very bad bunch" apparently at palace (i didn't go so didn't vote, but most who went said this). so got a bad rating. he wasn't on his game vs newcastle. so got a bad rating. where is all this incessant moaning about him being loved too much by our fans coming from? why do you want him to fail? i know col does so he can say "told you so" at the end of the season but why does everyone else? cos he's old? cos he's not from our academy? cos he's probably on bigger wages than the majority of our team? 

cambiasso got a rating of 4.91?! how much lower do you want it to be? if he'd have got an 8 or something for a pretty poor performance i'd see where you and the other people who have it in for him are coming from but he got a rating of less than 5!!

like i said to col when he was crying about our fans actually liking one of our players in a different thread, he's played 4 games for us. he was immense at stoke and turned the game. so got a high rating. he was great against united and scored the equalising goal which sparked off celebrations some claim to never have seen the like of before. so got a high rating. he was "best of a very bad bunch" apparently at palace (i didn't go so didn't vote, but most who went said this). so got a bad rating. he wasn't on his game vs newcastle. so got a bad rating. where is all this incessant moaning about him being loved too much by our fans coming from? why do you want him to fail? i know col does so he can say "told you so" at the end of the season but why does everyone else? cos he's old? cos he's not from our academy? cos he's probably on bigger wages than the majority of our team?

Why I've questioned your understanding of football is because you've made up your mind that a player is great having seen him play in four games. You probably did so as soon as we were linked with him. You seem to 'adore' some players and hate others in equal measure, which is a very very blinkered thing to do. Childish, if anything. Should Cambiasso go on to actually prove to be not as good as you think, you'll change your view on here, no doubt.

:thumbup:

Why I've questioned your understanding of football is because you've made up your mind that a player is great having seen him play in four games. You probably did so as soon as we were linked with him. You seem to 'adore' some players and hate others in equal measure, which is a very very blinkered thing to do. Childish, if anything. Should Cambiasso go on to actually prove to be not as good as you think, you'll change your view on here, no doubt.

:thumbup:

I fail to see what Scouse has said that is so wrong. Apparently he did play well at Stoke, played very well against Man United, wasn't great at Palace and Newcastle and has said so accordingly. The ratings here seem to back that up.

I find it strange that you believe in Schlupp so much when he's been inconsistent this season yet slate people who have praised Cambiasso, who has been inconsistent this season.

Archived