Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Harry Roberts

In todays sun he is to be released aged 78. 48yrs into a life sentence (that was ment to mean life) for killing 3 police officers in 66.

Those of a certain age will remember a kop song about him.

Personally thought he was dead.

God, I remember singing that at away games when I was 15 having no idea who he was lol

I just noticed your location and it took me back a few years - my first girlfriend was from Mold and she took me to a pub in Ruthin, charming little place.

I just noticed your location and it took me back a few years - my first girlfriend was from Mold and she took me to a pub in Ruthin, charming little place.

lol yeah it's not a bad little town. what pub was it? probably shut down since a Wetherspoons opened last year. 

Don't see him lasting long on the outside, would probablybe more humane to keep him in.

Imagine what it would be like to come out in 2014 having last seen the World in 1966. :blink: He'll have a shock when he goes back to Tower Hamlets and sees the difference.

Bloke was an absolute psycho mind, read the stuff he 'loved' doing whilest guarding prisoners of war and I'm surprised he killed so few.

Don't see him lasting long on the outside, would probablybe more humane to keep him in.

Imagine what it would be like to come out in 2014 having last seen the World in 1966. :blink: He'll have a shock when he goes back to Tower Hamlets and sees the difference.

Bloke was an absolute psycho mind, read the stuff he 'loved' doing whilest guarding prisoners of war and I'm surprised he killed so few.

I had never looked into it and at the time thought he was a victorian killer or something.

Untill about 10yrs ago when someone was talking about him and it was only in 66.

lol yeah it's not a bad little town. what pub was it? probably shut down since a Wetherspoons opened last year. 

Cant remember the name. It was a bit intimidating, I was a foppish English student and it was full of hard-drinking Welsh blokes. A bit 'Deliverance'-esque.

In todays sun he is to be released aged 78. 48yrs into a life sentence (that was ment to mean life) for killing 3 police officers in 66.

Those of a certain age will remember a kop song about him.

Personally thought he was dead.

that wouldn't be the one sung to the tune of "London Bridge is falling down " would it?

Hope the song didn't glorify him in any way.

"Harry Roberts is our friend, is our friend, is our friend,

Harry Roberts is our friend, he kills coppers.

Kills the bastards two by two..." etc.

'Fraid so. :(

"Harry Roberts is our friend, is our friend, is our friend,

Harry Roberts is our friend, he kills coppers.

Kills the bastards two by two..." etc.

'Fraid so. :(

Just proves how low the human race can get I'm afraid. Absolute scum.

Would highly doubt he'd last on the outside anyway, adapting to the real world after all them years would be a challenge in itself.

Sorry, but your post just reminded me of this.

He'll be a very lonely old man on the outside now, as others have said. I can't imagine he'll last long, a very different case to Ronnie Biggs who spent decades in Brazil knobbing lap dancers.

Just proves how low the human race can get I'm afraid. Absolute scum.

Different times you will hopefully never witness on the terraces.

30 kicking off the cops would hit anyone in there way to get to the trouble.

All football fans were treated like scum the standers more so.

Some of the young uns on here wished they had seen it but was not prety.

The best one was wet spam blue line at the back of pen 3 giving us shit 10 mins from the end they left five mins to go west ham came in.

An old bloke leaving early got battered at the bottom of the stairs but no coppers in sight.

Went to a derby leeds game as we was not playing and we parked by the leeds fans.

Leaving the ground we got took down a walk way by the cops and they held us up.

Then bricks came over from both side and the police held strong and would not let us out.

you then wonder why people hated the police.

In 1959 Roberts and an accomplice posed as tax inspectors to gain entry into the home of an elderly man. The man was bound, robbed, and beaten about the head with a glass decanter. Roberts was arrested, and at his trial the judge, Mr. Justice Maude, said, "You are a brutal thug. You came very near the rope this time. It is to be hoped you do not appear before us again." Roberts received a sentence of seven years, and the victim, who never recovered from his injuries, died one year and three days after the attack. Had the victim died two days earlier, Roberts could have been tried for his murder under the year and a day rule.

^ Looks like he came so close to swinging years before.

To be honest, all of these high profile police saying 'life should be life' just because the victims were police are pissing me off. If Roberts had shot and killed 3 bank clerks in a robbery they wouldn't be giving the slighest **** about his release now. Life should be life in ALL murder cases (that's if we must persist with imprisonment - I'd have had the guy executed personally and saved the taxpayer 60 years of paying to feed and entertain the piece of shit).

It's been 58 years. Quite a l long time for him to think about what he did at 20. Most prisoners leaving prison are given just £40 an sometimes have nowhere to go. I'm sure he won't cause any trouble if left alone. If he is on any medication it would cost more to keep him inside.

I just read that he was born in Wanstead, Essex (now Redbridge) and his family ran The George pub! I used to drink in there every Friday after work and never knew that! No pictures on the walls surprisingly! Bit like the Blind Beggar in Whitechapel!

Archived