Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Howard99

Fa cup win or stay in prem?

I remember the 96/97 Premiership season Middlesbrough reached the League Cup Final and lost to us, the FA Cup Final and lost to Chelsea and to top it all off got relegated all in one season

Man, that must have sucked  :cry:

+1 Who can guess there captain that season

:giggle:

I remember the 96/97 Premiership season Middlesbrough reached the League Cup Final and lost to us, the FA Cup Final and lost to Chelsea and to top it all off got relegated all in one season

:giggle:

Big Nige of course :)

Finished second the next year, then spent 11 seasons in the Premier League and got to a European final after winning their first major trophy.

Tough season but they recovered.

This thread makes for thoroughly depressing reading at times. I can understand that survival benefits us more financially but would some of you genuinely get more satisfaction out of being better than three teams in this league (which lets be honest, there's some shit in this league) than you would from seeing us finally lift the FA Cup?

Money dictates literally everything in this 'sport'.

I'd have us win the FA Cup anytime. The chance of playing in Europe would be such an exciting bonus and there's no reason, with parachute payments and FA Cup income and fixtures, why we wouldn't return to the Premiership pretty quickly.

Notwithstanding all that, our seeming indifference to Cup football is a real mistake. It goes right against the ethos of trying to win every game and making the focus on winning at every level and on every occasion, a concept that runs through the club.

Another problem is that getting knocked out of the cups reduces the managers options for keeping players involved and excited. Even for thousands of unearned pounds a week who the hell would want to sit on a bench? At all, never mind for any length of time.

Cup wins keep a place buzzing and our exit in the League Cup to Shrewbury was a real dampener, just as the debacle against Burton Albion was the same a couple of seasons back. I really don't understand the philosophy but it seems to be mirrored in other things we do indifferently. Like free-kicks and corners for a start. And getting the best from people. Maybe the two things are connected. We just don't expect or demand enough.     

For me, it is Survival in the Premier League...................

but IF I was living in England and could get to Games, I would say winning a Cup

I get to watch Live almost every Prem match on cable TV but also nothing of Cups and lower divisions

Yes I could stream some lower level matches etc but it's a battle at times

So you can understand why I prefer Survival :) 

For me, it is Survival in the Premier League...................

but IF I was living in England and could get to Games, I would say winning a Cup

I get to watch Live almost every Prem match on cable TV but also nothing of Cups and lower divisions

Yes I could stream some lower level matches etc but it's a battle at times

So you can understand why I prefer Survival :)

I don't understand. Would you not fly back for the cup final?

If we were to go down, win the FA Cup and keep Nigel, I'd be fine with that. If not, I'd rather we stayed up and kept Nigel, because I'm confident that the future's bright under him and that cup win(s) will come eventually.

**** the cup.rather stay in the premier league.before I opened this I thought what a silly question,expecting the majority would say stay up,can't believe what I'm seeing in here.Wigan won the fa cup I'm sure they're d rather be where we are now.

I can't believe that you're surprised a lot of people are saying they'd rather win the cup. This is the trophy that we have never won in 130 years of existence. The competition in which we hold the record for cup final losses without winning the damn thing. 

The question was which we would choose if we could only have one or the other this season. If we chose staying up we might well go down next year and not win the FA cup. Win it this year and go down, that would be in our history forever. We would have finally won that trophy. We'd probably be back in the Premier League within the next few seasons with the ridiculous bigger money advantage now. The Premier League is good but we aren't going to win that anytime soon. The FA cup is the next best thing.

You know, I do quite like being in the Premier League, it has it's perks, but I could live with the Championship - if it was off the back of an FA Cup win. Granted, it's hard to bounce back in my opinion when you've got the Europa League clogging up your fixture list (and my annual leave) but it would be worth it.

If we won the FA Cup and went down, I think it would actually put up an argument for sticking with this management too - they would get us back up within two seasons, especially with the parachute payments, absolutely convinced of it.

It's a roller-coaster but would people genuinely happily sack it off every year for the sake of finishing 14th? I cannot imagine anything more boring. I genuinely think I would lose interest if that was our aim every year.

That comment about the MON era summed it up - great days in the Prem but what do you remember most, grinding out an away point at Sunderland or watching your team lift a trophy at Wembley?  The League Cup victories were amazing so now I'd take the FA Cup all the way.  

I can't believe that you're surprised a lot of people are saying they'd rather win the cup. This is the trophy that we have never won in 130 years of existence. The competition in which we hold the record for cup final losses without winning the damn thing.

The question was which we would choose if we could only have one or the other this season. If we chose staying up we might well go down next year and not win the FA cup. Win it this year and go down, that would be in our history forever. We would have finally won that trophy. We'd probably be back in the Premier League within the next few seasons with the ridiculous bigger money advantage now. The Premier League is good but we aren't going to win that anytime soon. The FA cup is the next best thing.

Or it could take us 10 years to get back tO the premier like last time.money means nothing in getting out of the championship,the hardest league in the world.can't believe it.in. the words of ozzy osbourne,"you're all ****in mad"

Or it could take us 10 years to get back tO the premier like last time.money means nothing in getting out of the championship,the hardest league in the world.can't believe it.in. the words of ozzy osbourne,"you're all ****in mad"

It could take 10 years but in all honesty I reckon it would take a maximum of 2. It wouldn't be like last time, what with the money and how our squad would be much better to cope with the drop.

Anyway it's all a hypothetical argument. It's always interesting to see people's differing opinions on the matter. I just want to see us win something! Never had the chance to watch us actually win the league cup. I know we won the championship last season but it's not quite the same. If we settle ourselves in this league for a couple of years then the chance to win it may come along.

No mate, its you that's in the wrong here. The premier league isn't the be all and end all. I doubt you have ever witnessed us lift a trophy, there is no feeling like it. Multiply the man utd feeling by 10 and you might be close.

However much I'd love to see us at Wembley and lifting the FA Cup, realistically I don't think it's going to happen but out the two I'd prefer us to survive in the premier.

I had this same convo a few years ago with a Birmingham fan am when they played Arsenal in the League cup final, obviously they got relegated and look at the mess their in now.

Wigan is probably another example, the long Championship season, early start to qualifying for Europe stages and cup runs buts a lot on the team the following season and usually concludes with a pointless Europe competition and average mid table finish and players on higher wages because you are competing in Europe

Archived