Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dorsetboy

no pearson out here but..........standing off

if you remember i said after 3 or 4 games about us standing off to much and not putting enough pressure on the attackers just outside the box 

the last 3 or 4 games it seems we are just standing off to much and allowing the opposition the chance to thread a through ball or find the space like in fifa lol 

i agree we should not go all out diving in but try to get a balance today for example if we had got in tighter earlier then bony would not have had the first chance and for the second goal if de laet had applied pressure instead of just holding off then montero would not have got the ball in the box at worst it could have gone for a corner or maybe a foul but we would have then had time to adjust and reorganise. 

im not dissapointed (ok a little)  but i want pearson to stay regardless of if we stay up or not but i do feel that we need to play to our strengths and not just try to counter the opposition 

again i thought mahrez looked poor and weak today 

yup not denying mahrez does not have potential but he does seem very fragile and almost looks scared if a tackle has to be made and a couple of times today when he had possesion and saw a tackle coming in he panicked and got rid of the ball very fast and gave it to the opposition. he was the same at palace he shirked out of tackles like a schoolboy about to have his sweets pinched. 

albrighton is the same and as much as we knock knockeart he gives as good as he gets and gets stuck in which sometimes is needed 

I don't agree. He had a few good shots but little else. His defending in the first half was appallingly weak and I actually think it was the worst bit of play in the whole match.

Who was better if not Mahrez? The rest of the teams defending was poor, his few good shots were the only real bright spots in a port performance.

The back 4 were as poor as they have been and Hammond and Drinkwater did not close down at all!

Vardy and Nugent didn't seem to produce their usual work rate and Ulloa was quiet again.

I don't think the ball was closed down once in their half, which put no preasure on their back line.

Onewards and upwards 7 points from the next 4 please and all will be rosey again.

Agreed, our team needs to press the ball far more. However, the better players always seem to find the space on the pitch. Swansea players had so much time on the ball. Playing with Hammond and Drinkwater and then having 3 out and out strikers plus Mahrez does not help. Mahrez when he has the ball is decent, without the ball he doesn't help the team. Sigurdsson, Shelvey and Ki passing and awareness of their team mates shows the massive step up in class from the Championship to Premier league. Personally I would have King playing as I think he is our best CM suited for the prem, (personal opinion). We will get better ! 

I think that we may not concede so many goals if we have someone who can intimidate attackers. I don't think at the moment we have that in Wes and Liam. I think Was could do with a run in the team as he will strike fear into the opposition. We will get better but that's needs to happen very fast otherwise we will find ourselves scrapping with Burnley and QPR and all due respect we all know that we are better than those two (and also Sunderland......)

We do stand off but we did this last season also. We were very good at pressing from the front in the opposition's half, particularly around the edge of their box. But one of my biggest frustrations last season was how that changed when our opponents advanced up the pitch. Our emphasis when defending our own half was to let them have the ball and to defend the edge of the box so we could win the ball deep and get it to Vardy or Dyer for the quick counter.

That was fine last year as we were far stronger than almost every opponent. But this season it means leaving room for superior players to play with in our half of the pitch. One thing I've noticed this season is how quick opposing players are to close us down when in possession and we don't seem to have learned this lesson yet. We have to do it all over the pitch which means increasing our pressing intensity even from last year's highly successful efforts.

Who was better if not Mahrez? The rest of the teams defending was poor, his few good shots were the only real bright spots in a port performance.

The back 4 were as poor as they have been and Hammond and Drinkwater did not close down at all!

Vardy and Nugent didn't seem to produce their usual work rate and Ulloa was quiet again.

I don't think the ball was closed down once in their half, which put no preasure on their back line.

Onewards and upwards 7 points from the next 4 please and all will be rosey again.

I don't think Morgan did a whole lot wrong personally. I'd put him ahead of Mahrez who really was poor in the first half.

Oh for a midfield of Lennon, Izzet and Savage.

With experience at the top level and lots of hard work does a midfield of James in the Lennon role, Drinkwater as Savage and Knockaert as Izzet have the potential to one day have a similar influence?

Lennon was amazing Izzet was pretty good too but i just couldn't stand savage for some reason :/ He used to run around like a headles chicken

That maybe your opinion I used to work in London then surrounded by Spurs fans and even they use to say wish we had your midfield. Say what you like about Savage but he always gave 100% for us despite his limitations.

Archived