Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Howard99

Chris wood

imo he will struggle just as much as everyone else if he doesn't touch the ball because we can't complete a pass

which is an interesting debate; as last nights moan in. suggested. we had more possession, more passes attempted and completed on saturday, than the team who won.

service and good service seems to be the issue.

which is an interesting debate; as last nights moan in. suggested. we had more possession, more passes attempted and completed on saturday, than the team who won.

someone posted (wookie, maybe?) a pass map of all the passes received by ulloa, literally the only passes he received in their half, let alone the final third, were long balls presumably from goal kicks. whether it's ulloa, wood or cristiano ronaldo they ain't gonna do much with that. 

Which proves stats mean naff all. Only stat that ever matters is shots on target in realtion to shots scored. Would rather have one shot on target and one goal and win one nil.

I saw the pass map and I know stats can be twisted. my point was we seem to think we had no possession and couldn't complete a pass.

no what we couldn't do is complete key passes and provide decent service.

huge difference.

Why would anyone suggest Wood is a better option than Ulloa? What's he done in his time here to suggest he is?

Ulloa has done great. It's not his fault we haven't given him any service.

I presume you remember Chris Woods good start here and then him fading away. It's still early with Ulloa and their records in the Champ are fairly comparable.

I saw the pass map and I know stats can be twisted. my point was we seem to think we had no possession and couldn't complete a pass.

no what we couldn't do is complete key passes and provide decent service.

huge difference.

Or pass it from our own half into the opposition half. Passing it around the back, or sideways / backwards in midfield isn't going to do much. By the time we started getting it together Swansea had the game sown up and could take their foot off the gas a bit.

Why do people keep saying this... yes it is possible for people not playing to actually be worse than those on the pitch.

People have been saying it on here for six years on and off I just tune it out these days.

The Lets play x instead of y because we lost z amount of games is the most tedious thing ever, and there is a fair bit of it going about at the minute all across the side.

Why do people keep saying this... yes it is possible for people not playing to actually be worse than those on the pitch.

If we'd played our best team, or something which we could convincingly argue was our best team, and given it a few games to settle OR played it and been emphatically hammered, then I would have time for calls for Wood, Lawrence, Powell to be given a chance. But if we do this now it will mean another 4 or 5 matches of tinkering with players who, like Hammond / Schlupp (in an attacking role) / Nugent / Knockaert, are obviously not part of our strongest on-paper eleven.

I feel much the same about calls to bring back King. Over the course of a season or so it became clear that he was not part of our strongest eleven. This season he had a chance, had a few relatively solid outings and then rightly lost his place. If we work on the principle that we've suffered as a consequence of not playing our strongest eleven, then his coming on in a disaster of a game and not giving away the ball for twenty minutes is not enough to move aside the likes of James - who is one of our strongest eleven but has only had 150 or so minutes of game time to adapt, or Drinkwater, who has only had the same amount of time to feature alongside his preferred central midfield partner.

Once we've gone with a side that we feel represents our strongest line-up, then is the time to introduce these lads off the bench and give them their chance. Otherwise we're never going to settle the side.

If we'd played our best team, or something which we could convincingly argue was our best team, and given it a few games to settle OR played it and been emphatically hammered, then I would have time for calls for Wood, Lawrence, Powell to be given a chance. But if we do this now it will mean another 4 or 5 matches of tinkering with players who, like Hammond / Schlupp (in an attacking role) / Nugent / Knockaert, are obviously not part of our strongest on-paper eleven.

I feel much the same about calls to bring back King. Over the course of a season or so it became clear that he was not part of our strongest eleven. This season he had a chance, had a few relatively solid outings and then rightly lost his place. If we work on the principle that we've suffered as a consequence of not playing our strongest eleven, then his coming on in a disaster of a game and not giving away the ball for twenty minutes is not enough to move aside the likes of James - who is one of our strongest eleven but has only had 150 or so minutes of game time to adapt, or Drinkwater, who has only had the same amount of time to feature alongside his preferred central midfield partner.

Once we've gone with a side that we feel represents our strongest line-up, then is the time to introduce these lads off the bench and give them their chance. Otherwise we're never going to settle the side.

Indeed.... it seemed fairly universally agreed that too much tinkering might have been one of the major problems. The suggested solution to that seems to be that we play Wood, Knockaert, Simpson, Lawrence, Powell and Was.

If we're still not creating chances then it's a waste of time. He'd be even less effective than Ulloa has been in the last few games.

I still think he's worth a loan out. If he developed more of an all-round game he could one day be an asset.

I presume you remember Chris Woods good start here and then him fading away. It's still early with Ulloa and their records in the Champ are fairly comparable.

It's weird because even in Chris Wood's first few games he still had a really poor first touch at times. I was never overly impressed with him. Ulloa is a step up from Wood in my opinion. All round better player. Better in the air, better touch, and uses his strength a lot more. His lack of goals has coincided with our decline in performance level and constant tinkering with the line up. He's miles better than wood

Archived