Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
muzzy1981

Drinkwater and James

DD and James made, 45 and 35 league appearances last year and were instrumental in our promotion and clearly have prem level talent. So far they have not started a game together in their familiar 442, I hope we go back to basics and remember what team and system helped get us promoted.

Been saying this too.  100+ points playing 4-4-2 suggests to me that if we play that way this season we would be more than comfortable.  A little bit more of a concern for me is that we are starting to put square pegs into round holes to fit people in e.g. Vardy stuck on the wing.  3 wingers and only 1 ever plays even though we have been playing with 2 wide midfielders.

Sort it out Nige. Playing to not lose like we have done for the past couple of games is not on.  We do not have a good enough defence for that.  Our attacking play far outshone our defensive last year so play to our strengths. I am not saying we would have won our last 2 games had we done this but we would certainly have given ourselves a far better chance of doing so

DD and James made, 45 and 35 league appearances last year and were instrumental in our promotion and clearly have prem level talent. So far they have not started a game together in their familiar 442, I hope we go back to basics and remember what team and system helped get us promoted.

Pearson said in the after match defeat against Swansea that if we'd have played a 4-4-2, "we would have got murdered."

I think the biggest problem we face in the Premier League is the different formations and systems everybody plays. In the championship it's just a standard 442 week in, week out for either side. In this league you can guarantee there will always be somebody in the hole,linking the play between midfield and the strikers and somebody tidying up infront of the back 4. In our only game we've played 442 this season vs Burnley, they exposed that space, between our midfield and defence and were constantly hitting us on the counter. I'm all for James and Drinkwater back in a 442, and hopefully James will have the legs Hammond didn't to help get back and tidy up infront of the defence. I do like cambiasso in the hole tidying up and calming the play down, however this sacrifices our width or two men upfront. Big decisions for Pearson on Saturday!

Drinkwater has been a major disappointment so far for me. He had real trouble getting into the game at Swansea and his passing was all over the place.

King showed in the first three games (against very good sides!) he can hold a midfield two together and keep us dangerous on the counter and in possession. Time for King to come back into the side for me.

They should both be playing, no doubt about it.

I'm not bothered whether we play with a middle two or 3 but these two should be playing. Their quality on the ball is far superior to most in the squad.

Team should be picked on merit, so far this season our best looking midfield pairing has been King & Hammond, since that was broken up with the return to fitness of Drinkwater & James we've been dire. Absolutely dire.

It's not just them two of course, but still!

Yet neither have really had a good game between them this season, bar the United anomaly where everyone was a 10/10. Neither have yet proven they are capable of making the step up, which can't be said for King, and to a lesser extent Hammond who both started the season very well. It is in fact since the inclusion of Drinky and James that things have gone tits up.

451 (it's certainly not 433) is why Ulloa is so isolated and our lack of a genuine no. 10 means we have don't attack - with intent.

In a 442 Drinky seems to be given a bit more licence to dominate proceedings because he has players in front and more space to attack which seems to work.

Pearson's 442 comment post match v Swansea is a load of bullshit, 442 can work very well on the counter as shown against Chelsea in arguably our best perform this season and with another play upfront weight y'know attack and even give the opposition enough to think about to relieve done pressure on our own defence.

451 (it's certainly not 433) is why Ulloa is so isolated and our lack of a genuine no. 10 means we have don't attack - with intent.

In a 442 Drinky seems to be given a bit more licence to dominate proceedings because he has players in front and more space to attack which seems to work.

Pearson's 442 comment post match v Swansea is a load of bullshit, 442 can work very well on the counter as shown against Chelsea in arguably our best perform this season and with another play upfront weight y'know attack and even give the opposition enough to think about to relieve done pressure on our own defence.

In the same interview he also said that we didnt play 4-4-2 against Chelsea, we played the same system as we did against Swansea.

Team should be picked on merit, so far this season our best looking midfield pairing has been King & Hammond, since that was broken up with the return to fitness of Drinkwater & James we've been dire. Absolutely dire.

It's not just them two of course, but still!

Now this comment I find bizarre. Drinkwater had featured in 4 of our 5 first games, including a start against United. James also made his PL debut in that game. Since then James has only started one game. So how can our four match downturn possibly be down to the reintroduction of James and Drinkwater as our central midfield partnership?

I agree too. DD and MJ by far our best midfielders for me, despite the Kingy love in this week. More importantly, we know they also work brilliantly as a partnership. I think they've both found it a bit hard to get going after injuries and they have not started one game as a pair. Would really want to see that tomorrow. For the same reason, and at the risk of being shouted down by the Nuge haters, I would also like to see last season's front 2 given a run out with Leo on the bench. With pace and movement up front and 2 wide players DD will finally have some decent options on the ball, which has just not been the case for weeks.

Fully agree with this. Time to go back to what we know works. Those two were key in us getting promoted last season, let's get them back together in a system we know works. 

Worked in the championship the premiership is a totall different  ball game in some games against team we just cant play 4-4-2 we would just get hammered

Worked in the champions the premiership is a totall different  ball game in some games against team we just cant play 4-4-2 we would just get hammered

I think at home against a team like West brom we should be going back to what we know and enforcing our style of play on to the game though and should win. Go back to packing the midfield away from home and against harder teams.

No idea why we have broken up the partnership, was one I was hoping we'd see developing for years.

Probably because James was injured at the start of the season, then Drinkwater got injured, then Hammond and King played well and it all got a bit messy with picking players on merit.

I don't think Pearson chose to split them up, he just found himself in a situation where that was what he had to do.

Yeah fair point.

What I should have said was I don't know why we haven't gone straight back to the partnership that was the engine of such a successful season last year and that should only improve with age.

I know others performed well but this was a partnership that was performing at an exceptional level and we should be using it again as soon as it was aavailable.

Archived