Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countesthorpe Fox 1884

Sunderland Pre-match Thread

Schmeichel

De Laet - Morgan - Wasilewski - Schlupp

Mahrez - Drinkwater - James - Knockaert

Powell

Vardy

I've been the first to criticise Schlupp on the wing this season, but he really surprised me at left back so fair enough to him. 

Again, agreed on the Schlupp point (I think people have been surprised by how good he is pretty much every time he's ever been brought back into the side at left back, it surprises me that people are still surprised), and I don't see King as an effective PL standard player - but can a side who hasn't scored in 5 out of 6 games afford to drop its top scorer? Can we justify leaving De Laet in ahead of Simpson and Moore? Can we really drop Cambiasso and Ulloa to accommodate Powell, who looked fairly ineffectual in his cameo at Southampton, and Knockaert, who has looked securely out of his depth when he's had a chance.

Personally, the same side with Ulloa in for Powell, would look decent to me. I just don't see that he's been able to play as a striker, and if we're going to play with wingers it seems daft to drop your target man. In that system I'd wonder whether Cambiasso might edge Drinkwater, Simpson vs. De Laet, Albrighton vs. Knockaert. But it's a lot closer to a viable 'best starting eleven' than anything NP has selected recently.

Again, agreed on the Schlupp point (I think people have been surprised by how good he is pretty much every time he's ever been brought back into the side at left back, it surprises me that people are still surprised), and I don't see King as an effective PL standard player - but can a side who hasn't scored in 5 out of 6 games afford to drop its top scorer? Can we justify leaving De Laet in ahead of Simpson and Moore? Can we really drop Cambiasso and Ulloa to accommodate Powell, who looked fairly ineffectual in his cameo at Southampton, and Knockaert, who has looked securely out of his depth when he's had a chance.

Personally, the same side with Ulloa in for Powell, would look decent to me. I just don't see that he's been able to play as a striker, and if we're going to play with wingers it seems daft to drop your target man. In that system I'd wonder whether Cambiasso might edge Drinkwater, Simpson vs. De Laet, Albrighton vs. Knockaert. But it's a lot closer to a viable 'best starting eleven' than anything NP has selected recently.

I put Powell in instead of Nugent because everybody hates Nugent now but I've edited it

This is an absolutely must win match. Nothing else will do. It is sides like Sunderland we have to beat to have any chance of staying up.

We simply have to try and win and to do so we need to play with far more intensity than we have done of late. Not at all confident we will do so though.

Back to basics, how we started the season.

Schmeichel

De laet Morgan Moore Konchesky

Knocky King Drinks Mahrez

Nuge Ulloa

Bish Bash Bosh.

(never gonna happen though)

Bench

Hamer

Schlupp

Wasylewski

Albrighton

Cambiasso

Vardy

Hammond

I think Nick Powell has had 24 minutes? From what I read he's had a couple of wild shots, and not shown enough to get people excited. I know what this lad is capable of from his Crewe days (albeit in League Two). Alex Ferguson saw his potential, and he was close to the United first team. Injuries, and two missed pre-seasons, and two changes of manager at United, have stalled his career. Gradually he's working his way back to what he can be. I've no idea what Nigel Pearson thinks of him, as he seems never to talk of individuals; but, first it's nine minutes on the pitch, then fifteen. Perhaps he's gradually showing in training - to a hard task-master in Pearson - what he can provide for Leicester. At Wigan he was messed around a little, being played in all sorts of attacking positions; ideally he would be the "no.10", or at the attacking point of a diamond. Don't let a couple of wild shots put you off, when he clicks and finds his feet in the Premier League, I believe you'll have a player.

I think Nick Powell has had 24 minutes? From what I read he's had a couple of wild shots, and not shown enough to get people excited. I know what this lad is capable of from his Crewe days (albeit in League Two). Alex Ferguson saw his potential, and he was close to the United first team. Injuries, and two missed pre-seasons, and two changes of manager at United, have stalled his career. Gradually he's working his way back to what he can be. I've no idea what Nigel Pearson thinks of him, as he seems never to talk of individuals; but, first it's nine minutes on the pitch, then fifteen. Perhaps he's gradually showing in training - to a hard task-master in Pearson - what he can provide for Leicester. At Wigan he was messed around a little, being played in all sorts of attacking positions; ideally he would be the "no.10", or at the attacking point of a diamond. Don't let a couple of wild shots put you off, when he clicks and finds his feet in the Premier League, I believe you'll have a player.

He's been ok. Made a couple of promising runs and always seems to want the ball. Always felt his best position is behind the forward to, having seen him on tele for Crewe and a bit for Manchester United. He's obviously got bags of potential, not just through starting at Crewe, but I know Alex Ferguson used to go and watch him which he only did for the really promising players. I for one am not put off by Powell, would be nice to see him start seeing as we are lacking creativity.

This is my team if I'm in charge

-------Kasper--------

His kicking has been woeful at times but there isn't anyone who can take his place, I don't think he's done that bad, but I do worry when we concede corners because aerially is his main weakling in my opinion.

----RDL------Was/Moore-------Wes------Schluup----

RDL stays in the team because his pace is important to us getting forward and I don't know how quick Simpson actually is. My main concern is his ability to create a good chance, he rarely puts in a good ball so if this doesn't improve Simpson will surely demand a staring berth. Schluup stays in as well because he looked quality and offers more than konch.

-----------James------Drinkwater---------

Our most effective midfield partnership last season by far. They can both rub with the ball, tackle, pick out a good pass. Give the a deeper role and allow them to cover the flanks if needed, their job will to be winning the ball back and feed our forwards.

-----Mahrez-------King/Powell-------Knockaert----

Creativity galore.... But these guys work hard and are no slouches by anymeans, we will have good quality on the bench also if they get tired or want to mix things up (albrighton, Lawrence, nuge)... These guys relish being in the final 3rd and will be creative enough to make chances for our main man

-----------------Ulloa--------------

Guy is strong as an ox and has great feet. He is the main link up guy and would be amazing with the 3 behind to support him... Think him playing a lone striker with suit him than someone like Vardy. I love Vardy but for me this is our best team and I dint think he will be able to hold the ball up and link others in.

Sorry if I've blabbed on

The people with one player up front? Why? Surely that doesn't resolve our current problem? We're at home against a team near us in the table, ok they have had two recent good results, but we should be going for it. Attacking them. 

Schlupp was our man of the match, wasn't he?

And does James really look worse than King? I thought King was hopeless against Southampton, though some of that is down to his being out of position.

As for De Laet, if he isn't dropped soon we'll be stuffed. He's so clearly a weak link in the defence that it's becoming painful. The ease with which sides get behind / past him is stunning.

But I've got no issue with the 4-4-2, so long as we're not daft enough to throw Hammond and Schlupp back into the midfield, or Nugent back into the front line. Neither would I mind the 4-3-3 with Cambiasso, Drinkwater, James as the midfield and a Vardy, Ulloa, Vardy front line. That seems to me to be our best attacking line-up on paper, with King in for Drinkwater if we conclude that the latter is miserably out of form.

Most of all I want to see a side which doesn't look, as Babylon put it, quite so 'out of the hat', and for him to settle it into one, perhaps two easily interchangeable formations for the next few games. If he can do that, and not over-react if something goes wrong after game one, then we'll see an improvement before too long.

You have got the answer play two vardys that should help us score some goals

The people with one player up front? Why? Surely that doesn't resolve our current problem? We're at home against a team near us in the table, ok they have had two recent good results, but we should be going for it. Attacking them.

I think The main problem is the front men are starved of service... The midfield have been completely bypassed and ineffective. Although I have named one up front it will be loads better attacking wise and would suit our main striker.

Schmeichel

De Laet

Morgan

Wasilewski

Konchesky

Mahrez

Hammond

King

Schlupp

Vardy

Ulloa

Would be nice to see us playing the same system, and roughly the same personnel as the first few matches. Man for man, that's not our best starting XI, but at least we were playing with energy in the first few games.

I imagine most of you will disagree with:

De Laet - won't look as hopelessly exposed with an actual winger in front of him. If we're on about taking the game to Sunderland, especially at home, then his attacking threat is what we'll need. Also has the pace to deal with Van Aanholt.

Hammond - all 9 of our points have come from matches where Hammond's played the majority of the game. I can't remember many (if any) games where King/Hammond, in a 4-4-2, hasn't actually worked.

Schlupp - at least he'll have a go. I don't think he's a long term solution at all, but it'd be nice to actually stretch their defence for once - something we haven't managed to do effectively for a good few games now. Knockaert is also an option but whether he'll get a look in is another story altogether...

Will tell you now no way will pearson play mahrez or schlupp against Sunderland. Due partly to their travels. He didnt play them after the last international break, he aint gonna change his ways.

I will predict this he will still stick with the shitty diamond thing too.

Questions to be asking will we get the 0 0 draw?

Given up on hoping we give it a go?

That's how predictable and boring we have become.

Kasper

RDL

Morgan

Wasyl

Konchesky

James

Drinkwater

Mahrez

Albrighton

Vardy

Ulloa.

442, last season's formation with last season's players bar a couple of additions to help us out. Maybe Simpson for De Laet if he's fit.

Schmeichel

De Laet

Morgan

Wasilewski

Konchesky

Mahrez

Hammond

King

Schlupp

Vardy

Ulloa

Would be nice to see us playing the same system, and roughly the same personnel as the first few matches. Man for man, that's not our best starting XI, but at least we were playing with energy in the first few games.

I imagine most of you will disagree with:

De Laet - won't look as hopelessly exposed with an actual winger in front of him. If we're on about taking the game to Sunderland, especially at home, then his attacking threat is what we'll need. Also has the pace to deal with Van Aanholt.

Hammond - all 9 of our points have come from matches where Hammond's played the majority of the game. I can't remember many (if any) games where King/Hammond, in a 4-4-2, hasn't actually worked.

Schlupp - at least he'll have a go. I don't think he's a long term solution at all, but it'd be nice to actually stretch their defence for once - something we haven't managed to do effectively for a good few games now. Knockaert is also an option but whether he'll get a look in is another story altogether...

Van Aanholt dislocated his shoulder I think.

Kasper

Simpson-----Wasyl-----Morgan-----Schlupp

--Mahrez------ --King-------Hammond--------Lawrence

Vardy----

----------Ulloa

(To be honest, you could put any number of central midfield pairings in there, I just hope we go with what we're good at and that isn't playing four at any given time)

I would like to see us try 5-3-2 with De Laet and Schlupp as wing backs (as I think they are tailored made for this) and Mahrez or Nugent just off Vardy with a midfield three of Drinkwater James and King and maybe Konchesky as a left sided centreback something like this:

Schmichael

De Laet        Moore        Morgan         Konchesky       Schlupp

Drinkwater     James     King

Mahrez/Nugent

Vardy

Kasper

RDL

Morgan

Wasyl

Konchesky

James

Drinkwater

Mahrez

Albrighton

Vardy

Ulloa.

442, last season's formation with last season's players bar a couple of additions to help us out. Maybe Simpson for De Laet if he's fit.

That would be my team too. Thought Schlupp had a decent game on Saturday though. If Simpson isn't match fit then we're stuck with De Laet - then again I think he suits an attacking side far more.

Interesting how many different lineups there are. Goes to show how we are just as unsure as the manager on the best combination of players.

For me, what I want to see:

Schmeichel

Simpson (playing vs. old rivals? There's got to be some tenuous link somewhere that can get him in the team?)

Morgan

Wasilewski

Schlupp

Mahrez

James

Cambiasso

Knockaert (he has to get a chance surely)

Vardy

Ulloa

Bench: Smith, Nugent, King, Konchesky, Moore, Powell, Wood

What I think we are likely to see:

Schmeichel

De Laet

Morgan

Wasilewski

Schlupp

Cambiasso

James

Drinkwater

Nugent

Vardy

Ulloa

Bench: Smith, Wood, Konchesky, Moore, King, Powell, Mahrez

Kasper

De Laet

Morgan

Moore

Schlupp

Albrighton

James

Drinkwater

Mahrez

Knockaert

Vardy

Just because! I love to see youths developed so that's why I'd have Moore. Schlupp offers more going forward than Konch and isn't much worse defensively.

Albrighton and Mahrez instructed to tuck inside when we lose the ball and hit the flanks when we regain possession.

Knocky always offering an option to the midfield in a free role.

Vardy scaring Brown and O Shea with his pace. Keep it on the deck or they will dominate. With those two at the back I will be stunned if we don't score. 

Archived