Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countesthorpe Fox 1884

Sunderland Pre-match Thread

Hi

Sunderland fan here to have a sensible conversation.

Having read most of the posts on this thread you seem to be jumping from very confident, your going to smash us 3 nil to down right pessimists if you play with out wingers!

As I have not watch a great deal of Championship football since we were last there six years ago I am not that familiar with most of your players, you obviously have the forward from Brighton who Gus rated when he had him and Nugent, who we were all pleased didn't sign for us a few years back and went to Pompy where he never set the world on fire, other than that I am sorry to say I don't know much more hence my comments can really only be about our lot.

I know we shipped 8 against Southampton, however in the remaining games we have not conceded to many indeed I think we would have about the third best record as far as goals conceded if you exclude that game. So don't get the idea that we are weak at the back. We are slower due to the absence of both full backs, as we then have the oldest defence in the top flight, however it is a very experienced set up with a bit of quality in there as well.

In the midfield area we will have Catts back in and he is no longer a red card waiting to happen, Gus has got him to stay on his feet more and the red mist no longer comes down if he makes a mistake. His cards now are more a case of his reputation than his actions. Larson is having a good season and has finally scored with a free kick for the first time in almost three years, so his confidence with those should be back, which means you need to be very careful not to give a free kick away to the right side of your defence just out side the book which is his preferred area,

With both our Italian and Argentina international midfielders back in training it will be interesting to see if either start on Saturday, if they do they are both by far the most gifted players on our books and can turn a defence inside out. Then there is the problem child that is Adam Johnson, on his day he can walk through teams but far to often he has run into blind alleys this season so has yet to complete a full 90 mins this year. Buckley who has started instead of him a few times can be very quick and direct and runs at defenders with the ball, personally I see him as more of an impact sub to throw on as the defenders legs are going. Add into the mix Bridcutt, who had his best game for the club last week and Gomez and I have no idea who will play this week!

Up top there is Fletcher, if fit, who is back to his best both in finishing and hold up play bring other midfield runners into play. Whickham who I assume from other comments on here must have a habit of scoring against you lot, has tended to be out wide, which is not his best position. With the other players returning to fitness he might well start n the bench or start up top by himself if Fletcher is not fully fit.

Hope the helps your understanding of our lads.

On another note I understand that with our end being sold out to season cards holders who have been to at least 9 away games in the last three years there are few lads with tickets for the home areas how will they be greeted?

I saw Sunderland at QPR back in August and they were atrocious - just as bad as we have been in the last 3 or 4.

They looked totally devoid of creativity and buckled in the 5 minutes QPR actually attacked them.

That said I thought Cattermole played really well despite getting an early booking.

If we're not going to attack teams like this at home we have no business being in this division.

I'm feeling pretty nervous but also excited. I just hope that we go back to playing with some attacking intent and actually try and create some tings. If we create some chances n have some shots early that should get the fans behind the team, which will make a change. I'm just praying it's not the drab affair that everyone is expecting.

how about:

kasper

schlupp -     wasyl   -     Morgan -  simpson

Cambiasso

Drinkwater             James

Vardy                                                      Mahrez

Ulloa

I will tell you now no way will either Schlupp or Mahrez play against Sunderland. Both are on international duty with their respective countries. Nigel will not pick either against Sunderland due to travel etc.

this will depend on which date they return form international duty. I'm hoping this is the case though as I would like to see Knockeart and Albrighton on the getting a game maybe trying Knockeart at the top of the midfields diamond and give him a bit of a free role. I just hope Nigel just don't play Schlupp at left back he is not a defender I don't know why he was picked against Southampton? Was Koncheskey injured as I have not seen any reports on him or was he just not picked??

Using commas? What happened

The mods banned me three times for using shorthand text. It saves time but if it gets me banned, I may as well just type it all out. 

Edit: It doesn't mean it's not annoying. I've had to change everything, e.g. from my signature to my terminology

The mods banned me three times for using shorthand text. It saves time but if it gets me banned, I may as well just type it all out.

Edit: It doesn't mean it's not annoying. I've had to change everything, e.g. from my signature to my terminology

They seem very selective about it if you're getting banned for it

Archived