Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest ttfn

The last time we went this long without scoring...

The funny thing is, his positioning and movement is pretty good in those clips he just can't finish at all.

He could not hit a cows arse with a banjo for the blackburn game infact his finishing was that bad that night he missed blackpool.

It wasn't the same season, and actually Taylor was gone 7 months before we were relegated.

But still the point stands, he wasted the Heskey millions and it's taken a decade to recover from his time here.

Sorry yes he did not take us down that season but his wasted millions nearly finished us.

I can remember every week that season, sitting listening to radio 5 live in the car while waiting for my parents to do the shopping. Every time it cut to us it was Akinbiyi having a chance and missing it, the comical reactions fom the commentators that season were priceless.

It certainly was an embarrassing time for the club and it's fans.

And I still can't work out why a Board that gave mon nothing really gave taylor so much to spend.

Or did he just kiss arse better.

Taylor got the £11m for Heskey I believe and wasted it not only on Akinbiyi but also on league one standard players like Trevor Benjamin, Junior Lewis and Lee Marshall. He made Sven look shrewd.

I think we were always destined to come crashing down after we lost MON, Heskey and Lennon within months of each other but Taylor ensured that the landing was about as hard and destructive as it was possible to be. If there's any consolation it's that his career was ruined by it as well. He was being touted as a future managerial star when we picked him up.

Taylor got the £11m for Heskey I believe and wasted it not only on Akinbiyi but also on league one standard players like Trevor Benjamin, Junior Lewis and Lee Marshall. He made Sven look shrewd.

I think we were always destined to come crashing down after we lost MON, Heskey and Lennon within months of each other but Taylor ensured that the landing was about as hard and destructive as it was possible to be. If there's any consolation it's that his career was ruined by it as well. He was being touted as a future managerial star when we picked him up.

PAHAHAHAHAHAHA

8x4utw.png

Only we could pay over a million for that.

The board gave Taylor the money to try and keep the club at the level that MON had taken us to. Taylor wasn't/isn't capable of managing at championship/PL level. sadly, had we kept MON, the money from the heskey sale would have been invested in players such as Chris Sutton and we would have stayed in that mid table position with potential cup runs. all those years in the wilderness and administration could have been avoided. maybe it's these memories that sharpen our desire not to get relegated this year and bring on the less than happy postings about NP.

Poor Ade, he even nearly fooked up the one he scored against Sunderland.

All those chances against Liverpool, but was he really that bad?

Had he been a run of the mill £2 million signing then no, the scrutiny wouldn't have been so great.

But for £5 million, a club record signing and forever talked up by the manager in ridiculous terms: "He's controlling it better", "He's in the position to miss" then every glaring miss was blown up.

He didn't decide the transfer fee and he doesn't seem bitter about what happened, all credit to him. His manager wasted millions on average and terrible players which is far worse than the misses Akinbiyi is remembered for.

The board gave Taylor the money to try and keep the club at the level that MON had taken us to. Taylor wasn't/isn't capable of managing at championship/PL level. sadly, had we kept MON, the money from the heskey sale would have been invested in players such as Chris Sutton and we would have stayed in that mid table position with potential cup runs. all those years in the wilderness and administration could have been avoided. maybe it's these memories that sharpen our desire not to get relegated this year and bring on the less than happy postings about NP.

Absolutely true about Taylor.

So, it's now 408 minutes since Riyad Mahrez' 42nd minute header against Burnley put us 5th in the "as it stands" table and we were all dreaming of a stress-free April and May.

The last time we went this long (6 hours and 48 minutes) without scoring was 2000-2001, where a run of 4 goalless games cost Peter Taylor his job, with us sitting bottom of the league. We then lost 6-0 at home to Leeds in the League Cup before losing 4-1 at home to Liverpool, *************'s 58th minute goal bringing our goalless run to an end after 499 minutes in the league (8 hours 19 minutes) and 589 minutes in all competitions (9 hours 49 minutes).

So we won't be beating that (league) record unless we fail to score against Sunderland until the last 10 minutes. I've no idea what the actual all time record is.

Anyway, in looking up the time of ***************'s goal I had a look at the BBC Sport report from that day, and it made me realise how much about football and our club has changed since then.

1) Just read the match report. It's possibly the most merciless dismantling of a football club I've seen. And not only a football club, but one player - Ade Akinbiyi.http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/1607581.stm

2) The quotes from Dave Bassett about Akinbiyi cracked me up - we all know he was terrible but can you imagine a Premier League manager coming out with this now?

Anyway, as bad as it is right now, just remember - it could be and has been worse.

I have improved the OP.

Archived