Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Are We At Our Level

Thinking earlier (yes i do it sometimes Colcityfan) is there any relationship between our league position and our squad value.

So having messaged daviG he came up with this      http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/startseite/wettbewerb/GB1

It would be great if someone could put the values against the league table as it stands atm.

Bear in mind untill the half way point some teams will have played more top teams/expensive squads than others.

Southampton being one they have only faced Liverpool and Spurs out of last seasons top 7/8 where we have faced Everton,Chelsea.Arsenal and Man U.

Be interesting to re visit this at the end of the season with these values the end of season values and final positions.

So whats everyones thoughts about our position in relation to squad value.

To me atm it seems to say many ££££££ make points.

To me atm it seems to say many ££££££ make points.

Of course they do, it's the Premier League, and it's why the only teams battling for the title are bankrolled Chelsea and Manchester City.

Welly..you're digging a hole here buddy...

lol

What with you? love to bury ya lol lol

Thought you knew me better like I care.

But looking at that and values of other teams unless we are very lucky we need to spend another 100m to be mid table.

Makes our owners 150m over 5 years to make us top 5 a bit of a pipe dream.

What with you? love to bury ya lol lol

Thought you knew me better like I care.

But looking at that and values of other teams unless we are very lucky we need to spend another 100m to be mid table.

Makes our owners 150m over 5 years to make us top 5 a bit of a pipe dream.

Survival in the mid table positions, is exactly what you say. Without spending big money, it would be impossible to consolidate that status. It is blatantly clear we are on the back foot, mainly for the reason you gave. Anyone who has/had thoughts of ourselves achieving this was, or is, living in a fantasy world.

Before anyone starts the insults, I'll respond now. Brain dead, deluded, fools.  :yesyes:  :yesyes: -Summer signings far too weak overall.

Only looked at our team but basically every one of our players goes from being under priced to vastly under priced. Liam Moore £2.2m, Riyad £1.75m, Ulloa £6m?! Don't know if other teams are similarly under priced but that website is certainly not accurate in terms of squad value.

Yes the figures may be wrong but think they will be as wrong for us as they are palace and man u.

They have not got it wrong for just us.

Think the papers put our squad value that faced man u at 17.5m with ulloa.

So I take it was a money spent value not a worth value.

So I would take the value given is estimate/cost to the club for players like moore.

Survival in the mid table positions, is exactly what you say. Without spending big money, it would be impossible to consolidate that status. It is blatantly clear we are on the back foot, mainly for the reason you gave. Anyone who has/had thoughts of ourselves achieving this was, or is, living in a fantasy world.

Before anyone starts the insults, I'll respond now. Brain dead, deluded, fools.  :yesyes:  :yesyes: -Summer signings far too weak overall.

My point was at the values given right or wrong most clubs seem to be in a place at about the squad value (right or wrong)

As I pointed out sotton have played most games against clubs around the same value or less atm and less top 6 to 8 from last season.

We have only faced Burnley with a lower value but have played 4 of last seasons top 7.

All I am saying is are we really under performing?

And if we stay up well 12th to 14th do people think we have over achieved? 

there has to be a poor correlation at the bottom end of the table between transfer spending and final position. There's plenty of examples of teams that havent spent much and stayed up. I think the most important factors are team spirit and consistentcy when staying up. Obviously you need quality, but there's more too it then saying if we spend more money we will do well. Southampton and Swansea are too recent examples of how to do well in the league without spending, whereas QPR and Cardiff are how not to do it

Sorry this took so long, I wanted to go into it a bit further than just putting the values in, but laptop probles and illness delayed me a bit...

Anyway, the basic table, with transfermarkt's VALUATIONS of teams added. Hopefully later I'll update this with a 'cost to assemble' variation (probably of the most-used starting 11s), as that should give a better indication of transfer spending.

table.png

So there does appear to be a general correlation with higher valued teams having higher points, but bear in mind that the bottom 5 teams have all been promoted in recent years and their valuations/costs to assemble are still growing into PL-territory, and there's a handful of high-value teams which are sitting in a similar spot just above mid-table.

As said before, cost-to-assemble would be a better metric, but that's going to take more effort and I haven't got round to that yet.

Followed by an adjusted table. The way this one works is that for each match, the number of points a team wins is mulptiplied by the average value of their opponent. The number on the right is simply the average 'adjusted points' per game. This was just a bit of an extra, and of course should be taken with a pinch of salt - particularly as many teams (such as southampton, whose opponents have had the lowest average player value so far) have yet to play some of the higher-valued teams. Again, I hope to put out a 'cost-to-assemble' variation on this once I've got the data.

adjusted_table.png

Sorry this took so long, I wanted to go into it a bit further than just putting the values in, but laptop probles and illness delayed me a bit...

Anyway, the basic table, with transfermarkt's VALUATIONS of teams added. Hopefully later I'll update this with a 'cost to assemble' variation (probably of the most-used starting 11s), as that should give a better indication of transfer spending.

table.png

So there does appear to be a general correlation with higher valued teams having higher points, but bear in mind that the bottom 5 teams have all been promoted in recent years and their valuations/costs to assemble are still growing into PL-territory, and there's a handful of high-value teams which are sitting in a similar spot just above mid-table.

As said before, cost-to-assemble would be a better metric, but that's going to take more effort and I haven't got round to that yet.

Followed by an adjusted table. The way this one works is that for each match, the number of points a team wins is mulptiplied by the average value of their opponent. The number on the right is simply the average 'adjusted points' per game. This was just a bit of an extra, and of course should be taken with a pinch of salt - particularly as many teams (such as southampton, whose opponents have had the lowest average player value so far) have yet to play some of the higher-valued teams. Again, I hope to put out a 'cost-to-assemble' variation on this once I've got the data.

adjusted_table.png

Cheers for all the work buddy!

Very interesting..

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps the main reason we're struggling is that our squad value is the 19th lowest in the premier league and we're sitting in 20th position, the bottom 7 spenders in the league make up the bottom 7 teams. The three teams with the lowest squad value are in the bottom 4 places, that can't just be a coincidence?

Sure, there are other possible reasons that we're struggling, but the statistics are there in black and white, money, to a large extent, talks.

post-11668-0-36070400-1419266822_thumb.j

By statistics, do you mean those two tables with lines on them that you did on Paint?

funnily enough I used macromedia fireworks, I was half watching grudge match, de Niro and Stallone, so couldn't be bothered rounding the lines off or using colours for each team!

Archived