Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dbtcity

Terry Robinson

The squad has improved as it has been expanded.

Signing Simpson means we have cover for right back. Something we wouldn't have had before.

Ulloa is better than Nugent.

Cambiasso is better than Gary Taylor Fletcher.

Albrighton will be needed in January when we lose Schlupp and Mahrez.

Upson as 4th choice centre back is better than no 4th centre back (if he ever gets fit).

So if he said squad then he'd be correct. If he said the starting 11 then no we haven't a great deal.

For people to start suggesting Robinson is to blame is as pointless as pinning it all on Pearson as nobody knows what has gone on, what budgets we had etc. If he was only give £10/£15m to improve the team then that's not going to make a huge difference in this league. Bang average players like Boyd go for £3m, and that just about sums up how difficult it is to get quality at a good price.

Boyd has apparently been one of Burnley's better performers and was pretty good on Saturday by all accounts. I'd be a bit wary of saying 'such and such for three mill' when we've been churning out what we've been churning out recently. Which, lets be honest, for weeks has been pretty much turd.

Boyd has apparently been one of Burnley's better performers and was pretty good on Saturday by all accounts. I'd be a bit wary of saying 'such and such for three mill' when we've been churning out what we've been churning out recently. Which, lets be honest, for weeks has been pretty much turd.

Well good for him they must be miles ahead of us and safe with him... Nope, still in the bottom three. People keep talking about difference making players, players that don't put you in with the group we're currently in. George Boyd is nothing more than average.

Do you honestly think he'd make any difference to us?

Well good for him they must be miles ahead of us and safe with him... Nope, still in the bottom three. People keep talking about difference making players, players that don't put you in with the group we're currently in. George Boyd is nothing more than average.

Do you honestly think he'd make any difference to us?

Who knows Babs? Genuinely. But three million these days? You kinda make it sound like its a lot of money for a transfer. What Boyd does bring you is some width and a good cross. He's not bad either with a dead ball. All things missing from our side currently. I'm not saying he's great, but for three million (relative peanuts) he'll probably do a good job for Burnley.

Signing Simpson means we have cover for right back. Something we wouldn't have had before.

Upson as 4th choice centre back is better than no 4th centre back (if he ever gets fit).

So if he said squad then he'd be correct. If he said the starting 11 then no we haven't a great deal.

For people to start suggesting Robinson is to blame is as pointless as pinning it all on Pearson as nobody knows what has gone on, what budgets we had etc. If he was only give £10/£15m to improve the team then that's not going to make a huge difference in this league. Bang average players like Boyd go for £3m, and that just about sums up how difficult it is to get quality at a good price.

OMG! Somebody gets it.

Who knows Babs? Genuinely. But three million these days? You kinda make it sound like its a lot of money for a transfer. What Boyd does bring you is some width and a good cross. He's not bad either with a dead ball. All things missing from our side currently. I'm not saying he's great, but for three million (relative peanuts) he'll probably do a good job for Burnley.

I'm not saying three million is a lot of money, I said that if you only have £10/£15m to spend it doesn't go very far these days and it's not going to make a massive difference when players like Boyd go for £3m, Championship strikers cost you £8/£10, League one strikers cost you £5m.

George Boyd is one example of how much fairly average players now go for. People keep saying that we need some real quality, but that either costs good money or you need a) the scouting team to find raw talent b) that talent actually be available and not being tracked by other more appealing clubs c) the talent actually wants to come and if you are lucky enough to get all of that d) that talent to hit the ground running so they can make a difference.

The bad thing about this post is that it'll be disregarded by many fans, mostly the fickle ones, the mourners and the ones who could never warm up to Pearson in the first place.

I think the Pearson / Robinson / Walsh situation is working very well.

Walsh is the one, along with Pearson who identifies players, with Walsh playing a key role in recruitment. Robinson sorting out contracts etc.

Robinson does not suffer fools. He did well in clearing out Wellens, Gallagher etc when they were identified as not being wanted.

He goes to all the away games, and will also watch football at grass roots level, so takes an interest at all levels.

Whatever happens to us, the Walsh, Pearson, Robinson situation is working well and is an excellent structure without question.

How can you have proven potential?

Well Powell, Lawrence and Albrighton haven't proved themselves at Premiership level but their potential to do so is well established. Powell and Lawrence have long been regarded as two of the brightest talents in the younger ranks at Old Traffoird, Albrighton looked very good at times for Villa last season and many were surprised when they let him go.I suppose what I'm saying is that we are near the top of the pecking order when it comes to acquiring players who haven't quite made it at established Premiership clubs. But it's hard to imagine us signing a reasonably established Premiership player from another Premiership club, even though the Thais could undoubtedly afford the transfer fee. The point I'm making is that the players we sign are the players we can feasibly sign and to criticise the players we have, imagining there are better ones we could have, is a bit of a fool's errand. My evidence for that is that Frazer Campbell chose Palace over us, Pelle chose Southampton. Where I would take issue is with the balance of the squad. For me there is too little competition in defence (LB the choice between someone past their best and another who's relatively inexperienced and wouldn't even regard it as his first position) wheras in the winger/no 10/top of the diamond/playmaker/creative spark role (depending on formation) we have Schlupp, King, Mahrez, Albrighton, Knockaert, Lawrence and Powell, all understandably wanting to be playing regularly and effectively competing for two positions. As others have said, this may not be unconnected to the African Nations Cup during which we can expect to lose Mahrez and Schlupp. But I suspect this is what lies behind the slight signs of unrest from Knockaert and Lawrence - who have both been the subject of stories about goiung out on loan.      

Friend is a villa STH and said Albrighton is decidedly average- lacks pace but kind of makes up for it in endeavour. He said he really lacks quality. That's probably why we haven't seem him. If he was that good Villa would have kept him.

Friend is a villa STH and said Albrighton is decidedly average- lacks pace but kind of makes up for it in endeavour. He said he really lacks quality. That's probably why we haven't seem him. If he was that good Villa would have kept him.

Feb 2014

Asked whether he was planning to thrash out a new deal with Albrighton, Lambert said: "I'll definitely sit down and talk to him.

"It's just the way things have worked out with games, his injuries, one after the other, but I know he's out of contract, so I'll sit down with him.

"Every time he has come on for me he has done well. He's just been really unlucky with his injuries which have kept him out for a long spell.

"But he was excellent on Saturday. He put some great balls in, he hit the post and set up the chance for Christian Benteke when he hit the bar.

"He was a plus point, the one really bright spot for us."

April 2014:

But Villa boss Lambert insists the club and chief executive Paul Faulkner are ready to tie down Albrighton in the summer.

Lambert said: “Paul has spoken to his agent a couple of weeks back. Marc’s relaxed and he will be fine, he’ll be all right. It will get done.”

Albrighton helped Villa stop a run of four successive losses last weekend, despite being marked by England’s Luke Shaw.

But Villa are not safe yet, ahead of today’s trip to Swansea.

With top scorer Christian Benteke crocked, Villa will keep looking to Albrighton to provide the spark.

Lambert added: “He has been great and is on top of his game at the moment.”

Lambert said a number of times he wanted to keep him, if people forget Villa were in limbo early pre season due to them being put up for sale.

Feb 2014

Asked whether he was planning to thrash out a new deal with Albrighton, Lambert said: "I'll definitely sit down and talk to him.

"It's just the way things have worked out with games, his injuries, one after the other, but I know he's out of contract, so I'll sit down with him.

"Every time he has come on for me he has done well. He's just been really unlucky with his injuries which have kept him out for a long spell.

"But he was excellent on Saturday. He put some great balls in, he hit the post and set up the chance for Christian Benteke when he hit the bar.

"He was a plus point, the one really bright spot for us."

April 2014:

But Villa boss Lambert insists the club and chief executive Paul Faulkner are ready to tie down Albrighton in the summer.

Lambert said: “Paul has spoken to his agent a couple of weeks back. Marc’s relaxed and he will be fine, he’ll be all right. It will get done.”

Albrighton helped Villa stop a run of four successive losses last weekend, despite being marked by England’s Luke Shaw.

But Villa are not safe yet, ahead of today’s trip to Swansea.

With top scorer Christian Benteke crocked, Villa will keep looking to Albrighton to provide the spark.

Lambert added: “He has been great and is on top of his game at the moment.”

Lambert said a number of times he wanted to keep him, if people forget Villa were in limbo early pre season due to them being put up for sale.

So they wanted to keep him so much that they didn't keep him.

So they wanted to keep him so much that they didn't keep him.

Presumably you didn't read the last line, Villa didn't offer anyone a contract early preseason due to being put up for sale. We offered him a contract early.

It's clear they were talking about it in the season and it all ground to a halt.

Presumably you didn't read the last line, Villa didn't offer anyone a contract early preseason due to being put up for sale. We offered him a contract early.

It's clear they were talking about it in the season and it all ground to a halt.

Yes I read it but they had ages to tie him to the club before it got to that stage. They didn't

Archived