Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

Bad strikers or poor service? Or both?

I felt compelled to start this thread because David Nugent is taking massive flack at present. Well I think it's going to go beyond him and onto the other two. It already started in the post match thread on Saturday, where Vardy was accused of having one of his worst ever games in a city shirt. Ulloa also. He cost a lot of money for the club and his goals have dried up.

We haven't scored a goal in over 500 minutes of football.

Well I think it's got more to with our overall attacking play. Granted, all three DO appear out of form. But given the lack of supply they have had, is it surprising? Diego Costa, though a world class striker, must be in dreamland, playing in a side that gives him so many chances. He can afford to miss some (and does), because he know 5 minutes later, the next one's coming along. His supply line is like the Piccadilly Line in rush hour.

When a striker is limited to so few chances, they often panic. Why? Because in a side creating so few openings, they know they have to take it. The pressure on Vardy, Nugent and Ulloa is immense. Miss it, they know, and they probably won't get another.

So, IMO, I think there is a real risk of jumping on the backs of all of our forwards. But I suggest this is too simple. It's missing the bigger picture. We are currently a side who are not getting to the byline enough and crossing in balls to give our oncoming strikers a real good chance of connecting. This is why Ings got a brace at the weekend. He was hailed as a striker-in-form by the media after the game, but look at his goals! They were tap ins, with all the hard work coming from Kightly on the flanks, getting past his full back and cutting the ball BACK to Ings.

Anyway... Opinions please. Is our team failing as an attacking UNIT or are none of our strikers actually good enough? Or maybe both?

Ulloa needs crosses to be effective.

Nugent allways plays way too wide for me...wether that's what he's being told to do i don't know.

Vardy took a very long time to get started in the championship and to be fair to the lad it's a big step up from championship to PL

And Wood hasn't been given much of a chance since Everton.

Our midfield is adequite (and thats all) at this level.

It pains me to say it but i just think at the moment we're not good enough....not the players fault.

Poor service the main reason, can't remember the last time we got Ulloa on the ball in the box looking at the goal.

He's become the battering ram get out clause for those who can't find a pass, at times on Saturday he was having to wrestle two defenders.

Vardy has less of an excuse, has had chances and real opportunities to run at defenders and create.

Mahrez and James look the only players in our team at the minute capable of making a chance whilst on the ball themselves.

Ulloa and Vardy I think, on the whole, haven't played particularly badly on this run. They just don't look involved, those 'no. of touches' maps that were posted show that pretty well. That has to be largely down to problems in midfield where we've seen a visible drop in the quality of our passing compared to the start of the season.

As a result, Ulloa and Vardy are both having to go into positions they shouldn't be to keep our advances going. It was painful watching Ulloa cross the ball in to Mahrez against Sunderland.

Poor service the main reason, can't remember the last time we got Ulloa on the ball in the box looking at the goal.

He's become the battering ram get out clause for those who can't find a pass, at times on Saturday he was having to wrestle two defenders.

Vardy has less of an excuse, has had chances and real opportunities to run at defenders and create.

Mahrez and James look the only players in our team at the minute capable of making a chance whilst on the ball themselves.

Also can't remember the last time Ulloa was in the box to get onto the end of a cross or the last time he made intelligent runs to reach one. It goes both ways. 

Also can't remember the last time Ulloa was in the box to get onto the end of a cross or the last time he made intelligent runs to reach one. It goes both ways. 

Problem is he's usually had to come deep to collect the ball, control it and release it for the cross so half the time he won't be able to. Add to that the quantity and quality of our crosses over the last five games hasn't been too good. Mahrez generally doesn't generally seem to be a winger either rather more a direct player who will run and cut inside rather than try and hit the line for a cross.

As someone posted earlier, Schulpp put one cross in on Saturday, for a winger with a full back behind him given a free role to attack an ageing right back that's unbelievable.

Archived