Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wilson_6

Upson

No, Moore isn't very quick, maybe not as slow as those two but he's still slow.

That's more like it.

He's not what you'd call quick. He's probably on par with someone like King or Drinkwater.

But to say he's as slow as Morgan and Wasyl is a mile from the truth.

I'm amazed how much credit is given to Konchesky, he was bang average in the championship and he's not even that in the premier league. You can never question his commitment but you can question every other aspect of his game. Tbf that last sentence goes for the rest of the back 4 this season as well.

I don't think upson will be a long term solution and I wouldn't fancy his chances against a fast striker but he'll do a job and is probably more reliable cover than Was.

That's more like it.

He's not what you'd call quick. He's probably on par with someone like King or Drinkwater.

But to say he's as slow as Morgan and Wasyl is a mile from the truth.

There was a moment in the villa game where he got absolutely roasted, maybe it was more to do with reaction times but it was like he was treading water and you don't see that happen to Wes or Was.

There was a moment in the villa game where he got absolutely roasted, maybe it was more to do with reaction times but it was like he was treading water and you don't see that happen to Wes or Was.

Yeah but that's to do with experience and positioning, nothing really to do with pace.

If you react a second later then someone could gain like 4/5 metres on you. It's fine margins.

His issue is pace. He was never quick. Now at 36 if we play him with Was or Wes there's no pace back there.

To be fair the goals we are conciding arn't down to be ripped apart by pace.

They have been poor clearances, poor marking and general poor organisation, hopefully Upson will make a difference in these areas

Pace isn't all that for a defender. If they can read the game and have a good understanding of what's going on that more than makes up for it.

Was Tony Adams ever quick? John Terry has never been blessed with pace either but he's done alright for himself.

Can't believe people are still going on about pace at the back.

The best defenders of the past, now and the future have rarely or will rarely be blessed with pace.

Chelsea prime example. Milan side of the 90's ultimate prime example.

Who should partner Upson? I genuinely don't know. Morgan and Moore looked sound at the start of the season but have been the complete pits since. Wasyl has been alright but he's the least likely to play alongside Upson I reckon. Hopefully Nigel has some bollocks and signs another centre half to play with him and boots a few out. Moore has potential but can we afford for him to keep making mistakes with us in the PL?

Can't believe people are still going on about pace at the back.

The best defenders of the past, now and the future have rarely or will rarely be blessed with pace.

Chelsea prime example. Milan side of the 90's ultimate prime example.

I would argue that the Italian league was never really about pace and the game some twenty years ago was (a lot) slower compared to today.

So, I don't know whether that argument holds up so well.

But I do agree that central defenders aren't all about pace - especially the ones in the very centre when playing with three CBs.

You just need one or two fellas in the back who are quick enough to cover in the worst case.

I would say he's in the match squad for Saturday then, doubt he would start his first game for us away from home up against the likes of Carroll and Sakho, can see Morgan on Carroll and Wasyl taking out Sakho early on.

Good to have another player fit though.

Upson wasn't included in the U21 squad last night so to me that suggests he could be involved in the squad for Saturday at one of his former clubs West Ham .

Pearson said last week he needed 1 more game which he got vs Leeds so it's possible

Upson and Morgan for me. Wes was an absolute beast at the start of the season. Think he's lacking a bit of confidence at the minute but Upson would drag him through his sticky patch.

Agree with this plus it would allow Morgan to go back to the right of the central pairing, I personally think Morgan has looked massively uncomfortable since was has come in leaving him playing on the left

Archived