Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Arriba Los Zorros

Play to our strengths!

I don't agree we don't have the right players - we are not using them right!

Especially up front. I love JV and have disliked Ulloa for a while but for Christ's sake, he is brilliant in the air! Play Nuge deeper, keep Ulloa leading the line up front, build up some play through our tidy CMs, whih is the strongest area of our team get the ball wide to wing backs or Mahrez / Schlupp and get the ball in from the byline! Rather than asking LU to link up play. Is that so hard? We looked great near the end there. Vardy would be an excellent impact sub as others have said.

Is that just too obvious or what?

We have no strengths whatsoever in this league and have a team full of players that no one else wants that's why they were all cheap or free or never really made the grade. Apart from ulloa who we paid well over the odds for.

Nugent Portsmouth reject

Konchesky Liverpool and forest reject, that's bad

Wood no good at west brom

Morgan only kept at forest because he was prepared to take low wages

Simpson qpr reject

Was past it

Cambiaso the minds willing but the body ain't able

Knocky mahrez, kids from second rate teams

De lait drink water James, not good enough to make the senior side at Man U

Schmiechal man city nots county Leeds , not exactly an upward trend

Schlup went on trial at Man U so he must be good. We'll actually he trained with them, which I suspect was part of the deal when we bought one of their academy players and f all to do with them having their eye on him.

Stringer got fired after using his initiative and serving up half pizzas

Vardy too good for non-league not fulfilling his potential in the prem.

Apart from that lot, I've always thought Hamar was a decent keeper

Especially up front. I love JV and have disliked Ulloa for a while but for Christ's sake, he is brilliant in the air! Play Nuge deeper, keep Ulloa leading the line up front, build up some play through our tidy CMs, whih is the strongest area of our team get the ball wide to wing backs or Mahrez / Schlupp and get the ball in from the byline! Rather than asking LU to link up play. Is that so hard? We looked great near the end there. Vardy would be an excellent impact sub as others have said.

I agree with this...only thought this today. Everyone comes up with good ideas and it takes 3 weeks and 4 defeats before Pearson does something similar and it works. I wonder if the fans are actually more tactically aware than Pearson...good post

"Disliked Ulloa for a while"?

The only success this season?

We have no strengths whatsoever in this league and have a team full of players that no one else wants that's why they were all cheap or free or never really made the grade. Apart from ulloa who we paid well over the odds for.

Nugent Portsmouth reject

Konchesky Liverpool and forest reject, that's bad

Wood no good at west brom

Morgan only kept at forest because he was prepared to take low wages

Simpson qpr reject

Was past it

Cambiaso the minds willing but the body ain't able

Knocky mahrez, kids from second rate teams

De lait drink water James, not good enough to make the senior side at Man U

Schmiechal man city nots county Leeds , not exactly an upward trend

Schlup went on trial at Man U so he must be good. We'll actually he trained with them, which I suspect was part of the deal when we bought one of their academy players and f all to do with them having their eye on him.

Stringer got fired after using his initiative and serving up half pizzas

Vardy too good for non-league not fulfilling his potential in the prem.

Apart from that lot, I've always thought Hamar was a decent keeper

Revisionist, much?

Pompey never had the means to retain Nugent, who went on to three times in three season become our top score for a decade... since we were relegated with a squad full of Premier League players and bounced straight back up

Konchesky is bad, yes.

Wood was a good prospect at 20 years old, shame he never took the loan opportunity we wanted him to as he needs to play to improve

Morgan has long been one of the best CBs outside the Prem and proved that during his time with us. Even during this supposedly shaky season he's got the most block in, in the whole league, it'#s not his fault the midfield is carved open at will and teams (until Man City game and going 3 in the middle) could shoot on sight

Simpson, looks limited to me. Ok backup, which I presume he's been bought for.

Waz hasn't done anything wrong since coming into the side, hell of an improvement on goal per game Moore

De Laet, Drinkwater and James, not good enough for 3 times in a row Premier League winners & Champions League latter stages? Not the biggest criticism in the world. Not sure on James, but with a Cattermole type player or a good dedicated CDM Drinkwater is very good. De Laet could be too, but in the Prem it's very important that your wideman tracks the always attacking fullbacks, that just hasn't happened.

Schmeichel, yes, is very limited, Hamer looks far more rounded to me.

Schlupp has always looked a poor forward to me, and he's a terrible winger. Think he could be a good LB.

Vardy? It's all about partnership for him. He's not built one with Ulloa and he certainly can't lead the line. Nothing to say that in the right system he's not good enough.

Genuine question..don't swerve it..answer it

What are our strengths?

No-one knows

Well, it used to be we had a drummer who could keep a decent beat going, but since that has deteriorated somewhat over recent weeks our main strength seems to be having the ability to gift the opposition 3 points week in week out and bearing in mind that no other team can mange that feat, there must be someway we can channel that ability.

just about every change people of asked for on here has been tried - I don't think we are actually that good (nor are a few others around us mind).  It is clear we need quality and not just 1 or 2.  It's gamble in Jan or rebuild in the championship.  

Some things I've read on here:

drop Nugent, drop Moore, drop De Laet, play 5 in midfield, play 4 in midfield, play King, play James , give Vardy a go up front, drop Vardy, Drop Kasper, Play Hamer, buy a new keeper....  

The list is almost endless. 

just about every change people of asked for on here has been tried - I don't think we are actually that good (nor are a few others around us mind).  It is clear we need quality and not just 1 or 2.  It's gamble in Jan or rebuild in the championship.  

Some things I've read on here:

drop Nugent, drop Moore, drop De Laet, play 5 in midfield, play 4 in midfield, play King, play James , give Vardy a go up front, drop Vardy, Drop Kasper, Play Hamer, buy a new keeper....  

The list is almost endless.

Yes, but if we're winning every week and top of the league, it would only be papering over the cracks.

"Especially up front. I love JV and have disliked Ulloa for a while"

and that is the probelm  with the modern fan.

They have no football sense.

Ulloa is our top socer by a mile but you don't like him.

Vardy in contrast runs around a lot and has scored 1/3 of the number of goals ulloa has.

After watching some games this season when we're down by one or two goals we either get someone sent off or decide to go and play direct football,our lads need to dig in and give us that last 5 minute quality fighting spirit football all of the game not just the last 5 when we're losing?

but as said before we are missing quality in our side but these lads have shown it before and given us awesome performances at the beginning of the season so what the Fook has happened now we know we can play decent football and are able to compete at this level so PEARSON and the lads pull your thumbs out of your arses and deliver what the fans deserve DIG IN FOR THE WHOLE 90MIN AND FIGHT FOR THREE POINTS AND GET US OUT OF THE SHIT WERE IN NOW SORT IT OUT LEICESTER CITY !

Thought for a while we should play 3-5-2 which plays to the strengths of the team - both De Laet and Schlupp have great pace and also means we have a partnership upfront as our strikers have appeared isolated up front in a 4-3-3 or 4-5-1. 

You saw Southampton yesterday move to a back 3 to be more solid after their run of results and it worked in their favour, as did Aston Villa who got a draw against Man Utd. 

Wes and Was aren't good enough at this level to form an effective centre half pairing and having someone with pace in the back three (either Simpson or Moore) would make us more solid. Mahrez could also have a free role in midfield, supporting Nugent and Ulloa. 

I think the problem is a mix of having players who in terms of ability and mental strength fall short in combination with an element of poor coaching/tactics.

When we have a throw in there is an absence of options, movement and creating what Arsene Wenger refers to as green traffic lights i.e available options to receive the ball. Players either don't think or aren't brave enough to show for the ball. And this problem permeates our play and is a major cause for such poor possession stats this season.

We get a goal kick. Konchesky receives the ball, he doesn't know what to do with it and having put himself under pressure he plays it back to the keeper who, often under pressure himself will hoof the ball up the pitch, to attackers that don't cut it aerially at this level. If we do win the header, there is an absence of runners to feed off the knock downs because we are so scared of being exposed at the back.

I don't understand how so many set pieces are delivered so poorly and at the absence of variety and threat when a decent ball is put in.

I think we performed well at the start of the season because the confidence from last season kept us going. The fragility of that confidence has been laid bare by the consequences of that late Burnley equaliser. NP rolled the dice in hoping that the core of last seasons squad could carry us through our first season in the Premier League. It wasn't an unreasonable view IMO given how dominant we were. But experience has proven the manager wrong and what is needed to survive is revolution rather than evolution (although evolution could result in us going down but coming back stronger a la WBA a few years back).

Personally I'm resigned to Championship football next season but I would like to see us pose more threat , more creativity and show we have bigger cajones for the remainder of this one.

Ulloa is our only striker who is actually good in the air (the only striker who looks like scoring too), yet he's on the bench. I don't get it. There's no point in playing long balls or crossing the ball into the penalty area when we've only got Vardy in there attacking it. He isn't going to win anything in the air. I get the fact we play one up front away from home with one behind, but those two should be Ulloa and Vardy, not King and Vardy.

Archived