Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Pearson: Continue To Believe

pearson-4-3-plumby280-2156016_478x359.jp
Leicester City manager Nigel Pearson has backed his players to come out fighting in the face of another Barclays Premier League defeat away to West Ham United on Saturday afternoon.
The Foxes sit bottom of the table going into the Christmas period following the 2-0 loss to the Hammers, but amid the frustration at the result, the manager sees a spirit and desire in his side that he thinks can return them to safety. 

Goals from Andy Carroll and Stewart Downing in either half at Upton Park handed the high-flying hosts a victory and leaving City without one of their own in 12 games, despite another lively display. 

Speaking to Foxes Player, Pearson said : “What we have to do is continue to believe in what we do and how we do it. I find it difficult, because I know that we’re not far away from some really good football. I would take a very lucky result at the moment, but when your team continues to play with the spirit and I think at times, ability, it remains so frustrating not to pick up points. 

“It’s another one where I’m having to stand here and probably say similar things to things I’ve said in the past. The clinical side of our game at both ends of the field has not been there. 

“Unfortunately today, when we’ve really been playing well, we’ve conceded a poor goal and it’s set us back. The second goal is a fabulous finish, but I still think we can do a little bit better with it. 

“We’ve made their goalkeeper work hard. It remains a frustration for us all to have to deal with another defeat that makes it that little bit more difficult for us.” 

David Nugent, Leo Ulloa and Anthony Knockaert were all introduced on the hour mark, and made a positive impact on the game – only two wonder saves from West Ham goalkeeper Adrian denying the strikers a goal each. “

"We had to do something,” reflected Pearson. “I think the danger with making three substitutions at the same time and altering the system is that it was going to go one of two ways. 

“The game became very open and we created chances, but we certainly did leave ourselves a lot more open to the counter attack. Those are risks that you’ve got to take. What I will say is that we did create good chances to save something from the game, but came up against a ‘keeper who made some impressive saves. 

“It was another frustrating afternoon for the players, and for the fans. I thought the fans were magnificent again today and it really is important that they stay fully behind the players. I think they can see, hopefully, that the players are giving everything.”

Read more at http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/pearson-continue-to-believe-2156246.aspx#7bIQ4W6H2fqhbyOY.99

The thing that gets me is the people who think change in manager is a waste of time because it will cause 'Instability'. Whats the point in being stable if you still can't tell your arse from your nose? Lets stick with Nige picking up zero points week in week out because at least then we can lose with stability?

If every team stuck with their manager because they didn't want instability then nothing would ever change or move forward, surely? There has to come a point when we stop harping back to the championship and what Pearson has done for the club. I am glad of what Pearson has done for the club, he's been great, last season he was fantastic, all the work behind the scenes great. But is it enough? Is it? Many are already saying 'we may as well stick with him because he can get us back up from the championship next time around'. Two issues with this: 1. Are we going to bounce straight back? (it took us 10 years last time) and 2. OK, so Pearson gets us promoted again. The what? He looks like a lost lamb for another season and the cycle starts again?

I don't know what game Pearson was watching, but it couldn't have been us. We were woeful, hapless, hopeless, and helpless, and that was putting it mildly.

Ffs, Pearson, just who do you think you are kidding? Apart from two good shots, they completely outplayed us. It was humiliating at times. We were total rubbish, and trust me, we have no chance of survival.

If he accepted there was something fundamentally wrong he might get round to addressing what it is. We were very poor for 70 minutes of today's game.

People say 'what he says and what he does behind closed doors may be two different things', but his persistence in playing Konchesky, or Vardy, or (previously) De Laet suggests that the message - for his part - is 'just keep plugging away' rather than 'this is the problem, here's how you fix it'. I remember the interview with James a few weeks ago when he said 'we just can't put our finger on what's wrong'. It sounds like the manager's not giving them any clues either.

He has been very, very poor at this level. Take that line - that the changes were going to go 'one of two ways' - I find that incredible. Because before he made the changes things were only going one way - to defeat - and had he made them at the point when it was obvious he needed to make them, as opposed to having gone two goals down, then at least there would have been a chance that things would have gone 'the other way'.

Not for the first time, he has set the bar too low, and failed to react anything like fast enough when that became apparent. 

His running out of things to say,

oh no actually his just turned to his diary from 2013

2 - wins in 16 before a last minute goal saved a play off place

The only saving grace  is that we haven't been beaten by more than 2 goals yet, but how long will that last, that light at the end of the tunnel is getting smaller and smaller, If Burnley win next their game and we don't he will be gone

His running out of things to say,

oh no actually his just turned to his diary from 2013

2 - wins in 16 before a last minute goal saved a play off place

The only saving grace is that we haven't been beaten by more than 2 goals yet, but how long will that last, that light at the end of the tunnel is getting smaller and smaller, If Burnley win next their game and we don't he will be gone

If he was going to go, it would have happened already. He'll be here until the end of his contract. We just have to hope that he learns very quickly and the second half of the season is phenomenal.

Also, I get the Loyalty to Pearson I really do. He has done MASSIVE things for City, no doubt about that. But Xmas 2003 we had 16 points (6 more than now) and every City fan in the land wanted Adams strung up

On balance, he's been a good Leicester manager. A man who, in two separate spells, has delivered what was expected of him in an era when no other manager at the club has. In the second year of his first spell, he nearly went beyond that. In the second year of his second spell, it could be argued he didn't quite deliver. But he got there in the end.

But when you consider what a poor top flight side he's crafted, after all of our investment - and considering how much better a side we were than Burnley or QPR - you have to ask whether he has really been a raging success second time around. He came here to get us up and, upon his contract renewal, his job was to keep us up.

We were still among the favourites for promotion when he took over in 2011, a year later we were the favourites and blew it, when plenty of other bosses would have fancied their chances. If, upon finally - and at great expense - securing our promotion, we prove to be a side in the ilk of McLintock's, then it will be hard to say he's done a great job second time around.

It looks like we were wrong to think he was the man. Whether we were wrong in November 2011 or wrong in April 2013 or wrong in November 2014 is irrelevant now. But our loyalty has been our undoing. Yes, I'd keep him in the job because I think we need to see whether he shows signs of learning how to do a job at this level, but I can't for a second pretend that I'm happy with the place his three-and-a-half years in charge has brought us to.

Also, I get the Loyalty to Pearson I really do. He has done MASSIVE things for City, no doubt about that. But Xmas 2003 we had 16 points (6 more than now) and every City fan in the land wanted Adams strung up

I didn't.

He should say "the players aren't good enough and they've got two games to save their future" and see the reaction then, as saying he has belief in the hasn't worked for the past 10 games

But he cant come out and say that really can he.  Not now a lot of them are tied into long contracts.  If they are told they are out of favour who is going to buy them?  No other premiership teams would take a gamble and who in the championship can afford to or to pay the wages the players would be expecting?  We would just end up with a bench full of Paul Gallaghers and Beckfords taking home a pay slip and doing sod all but bench warming.

Whether we stay up or not, we've got to do it with the majority of these players, and if we get relegated, youd imagine the same team more or less, regardless of who is manager is going to have to get us back up.

Guest bss9401

When is the right time to move on? Will people still saying that Pearson will turn it around when we are bottom of the Championship after 10 games? A good replacement will improve the team and build on what the club have achieved.

To many happy clappers now mate most of them are sheep and haven't got a clue!

Pearson is staying. Deal with it. The players don't want him gone, the backroom staff don't want him gone and the owners believe and like him and are giving him the January transfer window. The people inside the club have 100% confidence in Nigel and the sooner you accept it the sooner you can get behind your team and manager.

Pearson is staying. Deal with it. The players don't want him gone, the backroom staff don't want him gone and the owners believe and like him and are giving him the January transfer window. The people inside the club have 100% confidence in Nigel and the sooner you accept it the sooner you can get behind your team and manager.

Why should you accept it? If I performed like that at work I'd get the sack.

Archived