Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
floz

Shinji Okazaki

The only stat I care about is how many points we have won with Okazaki on the pitch. Would have thought that was pretty important.

Regardless of the fact we often go behind and come back to get the points when he's off the field? Or started the game without him and been winning before he came on?

Think about things before trying to be clever.

Isn't Okazaki one of those enigmas that you don't really know how, but when he's playing we just do better? As in, get more points with him on the field?

If so, continue to play him surely?

Was a bit like Nugent...one of the most under-rated City players of recent times in some quarters.

No, when he has been subbed off at half time the game has completely changed in our favour, particularly Southampton away from a 0-2 loss to a 2-0 win second half.

I am also aware he was subbed on against Watford and we did win the second half, however it has gone the negative way for Okazaki more than him changing the game from being subbed on, and he hasn't scored since August which isn't great when he's the second 'striker'. He looks low on confidence, even against Watford he had a great opportunity to shoot early but hesitated and lost the chance.

The only stat I care about is how many points we have won with Okazaki on the pitch. Would have thought that was pretty important.

I think our goal differential with him on the pitch is as close to that as we'll get. Considering we've only lost 1 game and have conceded more than we scored 4 times with him on the pitch I think his work should be considered fickle at best.

89jx3kB.png

EDIT: Table was just Shinji column, now includes without and Per90.

Shhhhhhhh, you can't say that on here.

When I questioned his contribution three weeks a go I was told I obviously don't understand the game if I can't see what he brings to the team and how naive I was to judge him my goals and assists as that's not his primary job.

Shhhhhhhh, you can't say that on here.

When I questioned his contribution three weeks a go I was told I obviously don't understand the game if I can't see what he brings to the team and how naive I was to judge him my goals and assists as that's not his primary job.

It's not his primary job.

It's not his primary job.

:D

We're the only team in the world that has a No 10 whose role it is to harass defenders and chase the ball and not to concern himself with scoring or assisting goals.

Imagine Barcelona replacing Messi with a player like that.  lol

Manchester United reached the Champions League final using Park Ji-Sung the way we use Okazaki.

thats_racist2.gif

Seriously though, you're quite right - I don't understand why people are still stuck in the overly structured roles: the idea that defenders defend, midfielders create and strikers score is massively outdated, you're expected to contribute across the park now, and what you bring to the team might not necessarily be what was traditionally expected of your position. Case in point, Schlupp, I doubt anyone would dispute that defending is not his strong suit, but what he brought to the LB position was an increased attacking threat for the side.

We're the only team in the world that has a No 10 whose role it is to harass defenders and chase the ball and not to concern himself with scoring or assisting goals.

Imagine Barcelona replacing Messi with a player like that. lol

What have they got to do with it?

We had Mahrez there and he did nothing, we were crying out for physicality in that position, someone to press more and the change worked.

Sometimes it will work with a creative player there, sometimes it won't. And visa versa. Many were saying Mahrez would be best I that position... Sometimes he shines, sometimes he's a waste of space.

It's great to have both options, if it means subbing them early if it's not worked who cares, the change has often worked, just look at the table.

thats_racist2.gif

Seriously though, you're quite right - I don't understand why people are still stuck in the overly structured roles: the idea that defenders defend, midfielders create and strikers score is massively outdated, you're expected to contribute across the park now, and what you bring to the team might not necessarily be what was traditionally expected of your position. Case in point, Schlupp, I doubt anyone would dispute that defending is not his strong suit, but what he brought to the LB position was an increased attacking threat for the side.

That's not quite right, we accept Schlupp isn't as tight as Simpson defensively for what he offers us offensively.

We can't have a No 10 that gives us three goals a season and expect to prosper.

Regardless of the fact we often go behind and come back to get the points when he's off the field? Or started the game without him and been winning before he came on?

What is it? Twice?

Imagine Barcelona replacing Messi with a player like that.  lol

Yet we're 3rd. Go figure.

That's not quite right, we accept Schlupp isn't as tight as Simpson defensively for what he offers us offensively.

So, you accept that Schlupp can be fine in defence because he offers a different aspect to the side, but you're still completely failing to understand that a striker doesn't have to be a goalscorer to be a big benefit to the side? Okazaki isn't in the side to score goals, the entire team, him included, is set up to feed Vardy, and Okazakis withdrawn pressing is a big part of that.

Park Ji-sung was a midfielder and occasionally played out wide, I can't remember him ever playing the No10 role.

Oh, well if you can't remember it then it never happened then.

Thought they played him behind the striker in quite a few of the big games?

Figment of your imagination.

What have they got to do with it?

We had Mahrez there and he did nothing, we were crying out for physicality in that position, someone to press more and the change worked.

Sometimes it will work with a creative player there, sometimes it won't. And visa versa. Many were saying Mahrez would be best I that position... Sometimes he shines, sometimes he's a waste of space.

It's great to have both options, if it means subbing them early if it's not worked who cares, the change has often worked, just look at the table.

The stats are already indicating that Okazaki has nothing to do with us being third in the table so that reason is a coincidence and quite lame IMO.

Okazaki has shown so far to be a bad buy, he's 29 and contributes next to nothing offensively. Does anyone seriously think we have made a shrewd purchase buy him? Would anyone not sell him for what we paid for him in January given half a chance?

I'd much prefer to see an Emile Heskey type in their that causes havoc and would be a great foil for Vardy. Big, strong, quick and good in the air to help with set pieces in both boxes. Someone like that Breel Embolo we've been linked with,

Why? We're 3rd and second top scorers with him playing a fair amount. What matters is points, not what he gets.

We have different options for different occasions, his role has become clearly more defined lately for me, helping to defend leads or helping us get into games physically.

We can rotate him and Mahrez in the 10 role depending on the situation that arises. Whilst also leaving Vardy as the focal point.

So, you accept that Schlupp can be fine in defence because he offers a different aspect to the side, but you're still completely failing to understand that a striker doesn't have to be a goalscorer to be a big benefit to the side? Okazaki isn't in the side to score goals, the entire team, him included, is set up to feed Vardy, and Okazakis withdrawn pressing is a big part of that.

When does he feed Vardy?

Zero assists.

Reading between the lines you must think Kante would do at least an equal job to Okazaki playing No 10?

The stats are already indicating that Okazaki has nothing to do with us being third in the table so that reason is a coincidence and quite lame IMO.

Okazaki has shown so far to be a bad buy, he's 29 and contributes next to nothing offensively. Does anyone seriously think we have made a shrewd purchase buy him? Would anyone not sell him for what we paid for him in January given half a chance?

I'd much prefer to see an Emile Heskey type in their that causes havoc and would be a great foil for Vardy. Big, strong, quick and good in the air to help with set pieces in both boxes. Someone like that Breel Embolo we've been linked with,

Nothing to do with it? Absolute rubbish, "the stats" whatever they are show nothing of the sort. Every man on the pitch has had something to do with it. If you can't see for instance how his inclusion helped in set the last two home games from the bench then you will never accept him.

I've already said he needs to do more, but I do see what he brings to that position, when Mahrez isn't working there. He's being used in a certain way to solve a certain problem.

Shrewd signing, no not really. But I don't believe he's being played in a way we signed him for originally. It wasn't his game for Mainz, so I doubt we signed him for it.

Yes I'd love to have someone who can bring both things in the area. But we don't have him currently unless we shove Ulloa up front and use Vardy as support more like he did more last year. So I'll deal with what we have currently, and he serves a certain purpose.

Why? We're 3rd and second top scorers with him playing a fair amount. What matters is points, not what he gets.

We have different options for different occasions, his role has become clearly more defined lately for me, helping to defend leads or helping us get into games physically.

We can rotate him and Mahrez in the 10 role depending on the situation that arises. Whilst also leaving Vardy as the focal point.

We have four defenders that rarely score

Our two CM's have one goal between them.

Albrighton has scored one goal out wide.

Of the three places left Mahrez and Vardy have a bucket load of goals between them but people want to relieve our No 10 of being expected to contribute in either goals or assists.

I don't like the assumption that our FW and RM are expected to contribute with 80% of the goals in this team whilst the No 10 is relieved of these expectations whilst he chases defenders about. This is not the recipe for a successful team long term.

I think our goal differential with him on the pitch is as close to that as we'll get. Considering we've only lost 1 game and have conceded more than we scored 4 times with him on the pitch I think his work should be considered fickle at best.

m1hpK3I.png

'fickle at best'?! What?! 

I've tried to stay out of this embarrassing thread but that's such a strange and inaccurate statement. 

When does he feed Vardy?

Zero assists.

Reading between the lines you must think Kante would do at least an equal job to Okazaki playing No 10?

The team feeds Vardy - Okazaki plays into that through a combination of forcing errors through his hassling and drawing space through his movement. 

Can't say I've seen Kante as having the wits about him to draw away defenders and create space like Okazaki has done, so no. 

Archived