Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Windows 10 upgrade to be 'free' for one year

Microsoft has announced that its next operating system will be offered as a free upgrade to owners of devices running Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows Phone.

The announcement marks a change in strategy to its previous policy of charging for major updates.

The offer, which is limited to the OS's first year of release, may aid its adoption.

That could help avoid a repeat of the relatively slow uptake of Windows 8.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30924022

If it's free I'll have it, although I've not really grasped Windows 8 yet.

I think microsoft has peaked at win 7. Windows 8 seems quirky and obviously aimed at tablet users, we're running it on a couple of touch screen controls at work but even with 23" monitors its painful and very time consuming to use. Microsoft offering win 10 for free is about getting win 7 users to upgrade which allows them to flog office etc on the back of it and merge tablet desktop and mobile phone softwares, in other words reselling their product to what  people have already bought, much like apple does.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30924022

If it's free I'll have it, although I've not really grasped Windows 8 yet.

Same. Windows 8 is shit. I'm not keen on yet more silly and completely unnecessary updates that just make it more of a pain to use.

Unless I'm forced to I'm not interested.

I think microsoft has peaked at win 7. Windows 8 seems quirky and obviously aimed at tablet users, we're running it on a couple of touch screen controls at work but even with 23" monitors its painful and very time consuming to use. Microsoft offering win 10 for free is about getting win 7 users to upgrade which allows them to flog office etc on the back of it and merge tablet desktop and mobile phone softwares, in other words reselling their product to what  people have already bought, much like apple does.

You can use basic office for free. You can also make Windows 8 behave like 7 (Start menu etc.) with minimal effort.

its MS....i await other catches. 

I've seen it suggested somewhere that want to change to a subscription model rather than a one off payment. If so it's like they're actively trying to lose customers...

I've seen it suggested somewhere that want to change to a subscription model rather than a one off payment. If so it's like they're actively trying to lose customers...

heard that too, dont like that one bit. rather go all the way back to windows 98 than pay a sub for Windows 10

This is all well and good, but what happens if you upgrade your OEM licence on your laptop? Laptop providers don't supply you with a boxed version of the OS any more so if you upgrade and don't like it, you are going to be stuck with it.

I appreciate Microsoft offering the upgrade for free, but with no way of downgrading back to your OEM licence afterwards this just screams of Microsoft trying to force you to use their new operating system.

This is all well and good, but what happens if you upgrade your OEM licence on your laptop? Laptop providers don't supply you with a boxed version of the OS any more so if you upgrade and don't like it, you are going to be stuck with it.

I appreciate Microsoft offering the upgrade for free, but with no way of downgrading back to your OEM licence afterwards this just screams of Microsoft trying to force you to use their new operating system.

That's exactly what it is. They're trying to get rid of Windows 7.

• 4 months later...

still on 7. might make the jump to 10. do you know if theyll let you go back to your previous system if you dont like 10?

not a chance! to get a computer back from 8 to 7 is hard enough! even a format didnt work for me!

It's not in my task bar and I've got windows 8.

should arrive with your next update.

Does anyone know the "catch" do you have to pay to update it, or pay to keep it on your computer after 1 year.

I'm happy to try it out butdo not wish to be paying for it - ever!

they cant make us offer us an upgrade, then 12 months from now make us pay, potentially leaving us with now windows on our pc if we dont, there would be outrage. windows 10 will be free, they say becasue they want even users of pirated windows 7 &8 versions to be on verified copies

I've got the register icon but I think I'll wait to see some user reviews of Windows 10 first.

To be honest on my windows 8.1 I've got a start menu and never ever use the tile thing. I use desktop icons or the start menu to access software and Windows Explorer. I don't know why windows ever needs such major upgrades, just keep it simple.

We've got 3 PCs with windows 7, 2 desktops and a laptop will just get the oldest desktop upgraded first to see how it goes.

Archived