Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GaelicFox

leicester were smoking....

I know what they are and what the differences are and also what happens if and when caught with one thank you.

Any thoughts on the effects on others who can get caught up in their use in grounds in a crowded and confined space? There's several reasons they're banned and there's several reasons you can get a custodial sentence.

Like Bergamo Fox I too am asthmatic and didn't find breathing in the fumes yesterday for a good few minutes afterwards at all pleasant. No doubt people who bring them in to the ground and let them off are fully aware of the health risks too. But so what as long as it's all in good fun eh...

http://www.facepyrofacts.co.uk/facts.html

Article taken from website link above:-

Warning to football fans after smoke bomb puts teenager in hospital

29 May 2013

Police are warning about the dangers of setting off pyrotechnics at football matches after a teenager was taken to hospital with lung damage from a smoke bomb at an Aston Villa match.

The 15-year-old lad had travelled to Wigan’s DW Stadium to watch Villa’s final game of the season on Sunday 19 May during which a number of flares and smoke bombs were set off among the away fans.

At one point a smoke bomb was even thrown onto the pitch − resulting in a short delay to the match.

The youngster affected was close to where one was set alight and immediately struggled to breathe and felt burning to his eyes. The following day he continued to feel ill at school and was taken to hospital.

Chest x-rays revealed he was suffering the effect of smoke inhalation and had suffered damage to his lungs. Doctors were also concerned that he could have been affected by toxins in the flares. He was released from hospital later the same day.

Two other Villa fans, women aged 22 and 24, also received treatment having breathed in smoke at the ground.

A pair of teenage boys, both aged 16 and from Birmingham, were arrested in the ground after being spotted by police in possession of smoke bombs. They are currently on police bail pending further investigation.

PC Stewart Bladen, from West Midlands Police, said: "The lad was stood in the middle of the stand when someone just behind him set of a smoke bomb − he described not being able to breath, feeling a burning in his chest and became very panicky.

"I was in another stand some 200 metres away and when the wind blew smoke towards us it was choking - so to have been stood directly beside it must have been suffocating."

The teenager’s mum added: "My son has followed the Villa away quite a few times this season, he isn’t afraid of the hustle and bustle and the jostling and the banter that goes with being in an excitable crowd of fellow supporters.

"However, this nasty experience has left him very dubious of being surrounded by large numbers of fans.

"The panic he felt when he couldn’t breathe; the fact he couldn’t see and his lungs and throat were burning will no doubt stay with him for a long time.

"As parents, we want him to continue to enjoy following football however, we want to know that he is safe and isn’t going to be in danger of this happening again.

"The fans who − in their minority − need to understand the lasting physical and mental effects that they are putting their fellow supporters through, just for a few minutes of mindless stupidity."

Independent expert Dr Steve Frosdick said: "Pyrotechnics are very dangerous inside a football stadium - especially amongst large crowds of people.

"Bengal flares, which are often used, burn at extremely high temperatures, risk serious injury and can easily cause fires.

"Smoke bombs give off toxic smoke and can, as in this case, cause respiratory problems and even an arrhythmia."

Earlier in the football season two Chelsea supporters were sent to prison for a month after being arrested for possessing smoke bombs at an away match against Swansea in the Capital One Cup.

The pair were banned from attending football games for six years, while a third supporter involved was also banned for the same length of time. Chelsea have also barred the trio from Stamford Bridge for ten years each.

PC Bladen continued: "Flares and fireworks at games are banned in the UK for a reason - they have the potential to cause harm and distress, and are a serious fire risk.

"We have seen them used on the continent for many years but this is a relatively new trend for English football.

"Anyone found trying to smuggle in any pyrotechnic devices can expect lengthy football banning orders keeping them out of all British grounds and from travelling to matches abroad."

Source: West Midlands Police

Article taken from website link above:-

29 May 2013

Police are warning about the dangers of setting off pyrotechnics at football matches after a teenager was taken to hospital with lung damage from a smoke bomb at an Aston Villa match.

The 15-year-old lad had travelled to Wigan’s DW Stadium to watch Villa’s final game of the season on Sunday 19 May during which a number of flares and smoke bombs were set off among the away fans.

At one point a smoke bomb was even thrown onto the pitch − resulting in a short delay to the match.

The youngster affected was close to where one was set alight and immediately struggled to breathe and felt burning to his eyes. The following day he continued to feel ill at school and was taken to hospital.

Chest x-rays revealed he was suffering the effect of smoke inhalation and had suffered damage to his lungs. Doctors were also concerned that he could have been affected by toxins in the flares. He was released from hospital later the same day.

Two other Villa fans, women aged 22 and 24, also received treatment having breathed in smoke at the ground.

A pair of teenage boys, both aged 16 and from Birmingham, were arrested in the ground after being spotted by police in possession of smoke bombs. They are currently on police bail pending further investigation.

PC Stewart Bladen, from West Midlands Police, said: "The lad was stood in the middle of the stand when someone just behind him set of a smoke bomb − he described not being able to breath, feeling a burning in his chest and became very panicky.

"I was in another stand some 200 metres away and when the wind blew smoke towards us it was choking - so to have been stood directly beside it must have been suffocating."

The teenager’s mum added: "My son has followed the Villa away quite a few times this season, he isn’t afraid of the hustle and bustle and the jostling and the banter that goes with being in an excitable crowd of fellow supporters.

"However, this nasty experience has left him very dubious of being surrounded by large numbers of fans.

"The panic he felt when he couldn’t breathe; the fact he couldn’t see and his lungs and throat were burning will no doubt stay with him for a long time.

"As parents, we want him to continue to enjoy following football however, we want to know that he is safe and isn’t going to be in danger of this happening again.

"The fans who − in their minority − need to understand the lasting physical and mental effects that they are putting their fellow supporters through, just for a few minutes of mindless stupidity."

Independent expert Dr Steve Frosdick said: "Pyrotechnics are very dangerous inside a football stadium - especially amongst large crowds of people.

"Bengal flares, which are often used, burn at extremely high temperatures, risk serious injury and can easily cause fires.

"Smoke bombs give off toxic smoke and can, as in this case, cause respiratory problems and even an arrhythmia."

Earlier in the football season two Chelsea supporters were sent to prison for a month after being arrested for possessing smoke bombs at an away match against Swansea in the Capital One Cup.

The pair were banned from attending football games for six years, while a third supporter involved was also banned for the same length of time. Chelsea have also barred the trio from Stamford Bridge for ten years each.

PC Bladen continued: "Flares and fireworks at games are banned in the UK for a reason - they have the potential to cause harm and distress, and are a serious fire risk.

"We have seen them used on the continent for many years but this is a relatively new trend for English football.

"Anyone found trying to smuggle in any pyrotechnic devices can expect lengthy football banning orders keeping them out of all British grounds and from travelling to matches abroad."

I agree it's probablly not safe and not clever

I will also say the West Midlands Police Force don't have a good track record with producing legal evidence for anything they claim

But I'm not sure it's clever , I was right beside the young lad harry who leg one or two off at West Ham it was quite a mouthful, the smoke ant would have been an issue for anyone with lung conditions

Any thoughts on the effects on others who can get caught up in their use in grounds in a crowded and confined space? There's several reasons they're banned and there's several reasons you can get a custodial sentence.

Like Bergamo Fox I too am asthmatic and didn't find breathing in the fumes yesterday for a good few minutes afterwards at all pleasant. No doubt people who bring them in to the ground and let them off are fully aware of the health risks too. But so what as long as it's all in good fun eh...

http://www.facepyrofacts.co.uk/facts.html

I'm also asthmatic and my asthma is very bad. Smoke and flares used in the correct way are not harmful idiots who don't handle them correctly need to have a long hard look at themselves.

What harm do they do??? Erm lots. For a start they burn at 1600 degrees!

Have seen a flare been set of at a stone roses gig and loads of the phosphorus got in some birds eyes and it looked like her face had melted....was ****ing grim.

Smoke bombs? I've been next to one and I didn't feel any heat at all.

I'm not talking about flares if that's what you're thinking.

That there folks is what is wrong with letting children post on here without adult supervision!

Poor response. You might think you've made yourself sound all superior but by failing to explain why smoke bombs shouldn't be at a game you've not convinced anyone why you're right and I'm wrong.

Keep taking them to games, lads, seeing as people like AspectFox can't give you a reason why you shouldn't.

Good luck explaining that to m'learned Judge... You may want read this and think again.

http://www.fsf.org.uk/assets/Smoke-Bombs-Flares-and-Fireworks-Factsheet-for-FSF.pdf

All that says is the courts are ignorant.

The paragraph concerning the difference between smoke bombs and flares appears to concede that smoke bombs aren't as dangerous.

Still not convinced.

All that says is the courts are ignorant.

The paragraph concerning the difference between smoke bombs and flares appears to concede that smoke bombs aren't as dangerous.

Still not convinced.

Why does that make the courts ignorant? They base sentencing on aggravating factors/seriousness of individual offence and clearly do.

Both flares and smoke bombs in such a confined space are dangerous/anti-social/unfair on the other supporters around those who have let them off in the ground. Maybe in different ways, but dangerous all the same.

Maybe it will take either a City fan to be taken to hospital and another to be jailed and receive a football banning order for the individuals bringing them in to see sense.

Both would be nonsensical and I wouldn't like to see either happen.

Why does that make the courts ignorant? They base sentencing on aggravating factors/seriousness of individual offence and clearly do.

Both flares and smoke bombs in such a confined space are dangerous/anti-social/unfair on the other supporters around those who have let them off in the ground. Maybe in different ways, but dangerous all the same.

Maybe it will take either a City fan to be taken to hospital and another to be jailed and receive a football banning order for the individuals bringing them in to see sense.

Both would be nonsensical and I wouldn't like to see either happen.

There's a lot of talk about how dangerous these things are but I'm yet to see any real evidence. Flares I think are a bad idea but with smoke bombs I just don't see the problem.

Seeing as there's always a total lack of evidence given in this debate I'd like to provide some now: I was 'in' a smoke bomb at a game two seasons ago. I and everyone around me was completely unharmed by it. I have also never heard of anyone being hurt by being near to a smoke bomb. This gives me good reason to think that smoke bombs are not harmful.

In your post you haven't explained to me why smoke bombs are dangerous, you've just stated it. That isn't enough. Nor have you provided any reports of people being put into hospital which you suggest ought to happen.

Stop telling me that smoke bombs are dangerous and instead explain to me why they're dangerous.

EDIT: Long post already but I'd just like to add one more point. If you don't feel comfortable inhaling smoke (fair enough) then it's very easy to cover one's face with a shirt or coat. I did this and was able to breathe normally.

Dang a lot of our fan base is asthmatic!

I dont take them because im far too lazy to put in the effort. But they look good for the atmosphere in the right circumstances. 

When theyre set off for the sake of it then it looks daft, and when theyre thrown onto the pitch its stupid.  But otherwise i like 'em.

Seeing as there's always a total lack of evidence given in this debate I'd like to provide some now: I was 'in' a smoke bomb at a game two seasons ago. I and everyone around me was completely unharmed by it. I have also never heard of anyone being hurt by being near to a smoke bomb. This gives me good reason to think that smoke bombs are not harmful.

In your post you haven't explained to me why smoke bombs are dangerous, you've just stated it. That isn't enough. Nor have you provided any reports of people being put into hospital which you suggest ought to happen.

Stop telling me that smoke bombs are dangerous and instead explain to me why they're dangerous.

EDIT: Long post already but I'd just like to add one more point. If you don't feel comfortable inhaling smoke (fair enough) then it's very easy to cover one's face with a shirt or coat. I did this and was able to breathe normally.

Some extracts from my earlier post at 11.18... It may not effect you badly, it may not effect me badly, but pitty the poor sod who does suffer...

29 May 2013

Some extracts from my earlier post at 11.18... It may not effect you badly, it may not effect me badly, but pitty the poor sod who does suffer...

29 May 2013

Why have the all others been fine then? Different type of smoke bomb perhaps? If so ban the dangerous ones, don't ban the safe ones which appear to be the majority of them.

Exactly, it's just a bit of smoke. There are fully grown men who spunk their pants when they're lit.

Hate to break it to you mate, but if you looked at every country in the world, people like you are the weirdos. Not us grown men who spunk over them.

I personally don't think that they're that dangerous at all. If they were, then why have Austria and Norway made them legal?

:o stop speaking sense and let the English fans stay in their bubble thinking the rest of the world is wrong and weird!

:o stop speaking sense and let the English fans stay in their bubble thinking the rest of the world is wrong and weird!

Guns are safe and legal if you come from the U.S. perspective. Smoke bombs and flares haven't been a part of the British football scene historically and I don't see many good arguments for them becoming part of it

Guns are safe and legal if you come from the U.S. perspective. Smoke bombs and flares haven't been a part of the British football scene historically and I don't see many good arguments for them becoming part of it

The US gun argument is completely different. The USA is clinging on to an outdated law written over a hundred years ago. pyrotechnics were legalised in Norway about 2 years ago.

The fact they are not part of our fan culture (or what remains of it) is the best argument against them I have seen.

But when our fan culture has been suppressed for over 20 years now due to what other generations have done, you can see why young lads are doing it when they watch YouTube videos of what other lads the same age can do in countries an hour away.

Archived