Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LanguedocFox

RL v RL?

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes.

Yesterday I started listening to Stringer's Radio Leicester commentary on Foxes Player, there being no video stream. For some reason it kept breaking up, so I switched to listening to the Radio London commentary via the BBC website. The difference was amazing. OK, so the commentator had some irritating verbal tics - he kept talking about players "tickling" the ball into the area or up the line, and the co-commentator was Bradley Walsh Allen. But for all that, I thought the quality of the commentary was excellent: they were describing the play, explaining the tactics and being fairly even handed; well, apart from the last ten minutes or so then they were asking if this was going to be yet another time Spurs beat City 2-1. It did make me realise just how awful Radio Leicester's commentary was, and I was wondering if anyone else felt the same.

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes.

Yesterday I started listening to Stringer's Radio Leicester commentary on Foxes Player, there being no video stream. For some reason it kept breaking up, so I switched to listening to the Radio London commentary via the BBC website. The difference was amazing. OK, so the commentator had some irritating verbal tics - he kept talking about players "tickling" the ball into the area or up the line, and the co-commentator was Bradley Walsh. But for all that, I thought the quality of the commentary was excellent: they were describing the play, explaining the tactics and being fairly even handed; well, apart from the last ten minutes or so then they were asking if this was going to be yet another time Spurs beat City 2-1. It did make me realise just how awful Radio Leicester's commentary was, and I was wondering if anyone else felt the same.

Co-commentator was Bradley Allen but I agree that it was a vast improvement on Stringer's usual nonsense.

I listened to the commentary of a tripping squirrel and it was better than Stringer.

In all seriousness it was the first time I have had to listen to Radio Leicester all season and it was alright. Matt Elliott is pretty laid back and sits on the fence a bit much but I guess that's essential to balance out Stinger.

I assume radio London won't follow spurs like Stringer does with Leicester every game. Maybe the fact it was a fairly neutral commentary made it better.

Or maybe it's the fact that they, unlike Stringer, didn''t feel the need to tell their listeners about young girls eating cake and other irrelevant nonsense...

Or maybe it's the fact that they, unlike Stringer, didn''t feel the need to tell their listeners about young girls eating cake and other irrelevant nonsense...

That sounds like the type of commentary you get at the cricket, where there is loads of time to kill and air time to fill up with inane chatter, not at the football.

Haven't listened to Radio Leicester for a while and listened in yesterday.Always accepted the fact the commentary was biased and through very blue tinted glasses, yesterday and I will put it down to the Pearson/Stringer fallout but got the feeling Stringer wanted us to lose. Quick to criticise the Kramaric miss and the "dive" for the penalty claim. The highlights i watched a bloody good save and a very good claim for a penalty.

The chance was well worked, could not have been hit much sweeter and was well saved, not sure what else Kramaric was supposed to do a minute later Jeff certainly had more time to pick his spot.

As for the penalty shout could not see the dive Stringer was on about or a really poor heavy first touch. Somewhat bitter.

Am I expecting too much for the Radio Leics match day team to have a bit of knowledge of Leicester players from the past? Before the Stoke game the question was asked who is the odd one out between Peter Shilton, Gordon Banks, Danny Tiatto and Gerry Taggart? One of them answered Shilton because he never played for Stoke!

I listen to Radio Leicester whenever I can't get to a game, such as yesterday. Don't find anything wrong with it. Elliott does sit on the fence with a lot of topics, even with callers, but I guess that's going to happen. Stringer's not Motson or Tyler but thankfully he's not Barber. His passion is still terrific although he does frustrate me at times. Not sure what people expect, you're never going to get perfect commentary on a local radio station.

I didn't listen to the game yesterday, mainly because of the fact I was out visiting family, but normally i'd take a small radio I have and listen with one earphone in, I just didn't bother yesterday as I can't being doing with Ian Stringer, Jason Bourne and Radio Leicester as a whole really, I had Soccer Saturday on where I was and just kept up with the game that way, not very informative, not very constant but I got the updates I needed and when they did cross to the game I got the concise information I needed.

Radio Leicester's days are numbered whilst Ian Stringer and Jason Bourne are involved, Leicester commentaries must be one of the prime broadcasts on the radio station (Maybe Tigers commentaries might be up there aswell, but I would think LCFC is their main primary show) and listening figures must be suffering, they must be going down and dwindling. 

I think it's Stringer's gone at the end of the season. People have had enough.

Even if Pearson goes and Stringer is allowed back into the club as far as interview's go it won't do much for listening figures, they might rise marginally but not by a great deal.

The problem is Stringer, period.

I don't get as wrapped-up as many do with all the Stringer nonsense.

But I do think he comes across as negative and is looking to criticise these days. That's how it comes across to me.

And people, I think, have about had enough of him.

Stringer and Bourne love it when we lose!

Makes their job alot 'easier' and alot more to discuss rather than revelling when we win - I know I don't exactly 'revel' in a win myself and am always focused on the next game but I do enjoy the win, they almost seem downbeat when we get a win, they have nothing positive to say whatsoever.

I know i've made the example a few times but after the Hull win Bourne made the comment 'Was Konchesky to blame'....Blame for what exactly? We won!

I did this many times last season, depending on where I could get a stream or a radio link I could listen to, stringer is very poor, some commentators ( the Yeovil one in particular) are very passionate about their team, but still give great commentary and have a vastly superior knowledge than Stringer.

Listened to the last few mins. Stringer sounded like a fan to me. As far as the rest is concerned, it's not his job to be pearson's mouthpiece. He's a journo. it IS his job to ask difficult questions. It ISNT his job to foster ill feeling with the club.

Difficult questions yes. The same stupid ones every week, no!

Very poor, with little or know thought and research sometimes.

When I listen to a radio commentary I expect to understand how the match is going.  There are periods during the match when that happens but then Stringer and Elliott start a discussion on something or other and don't appear to understand that although the subject may be very interesting to them, and potentially to a wider audience, what we want is to hear what's happening in the match.  Typically their discussion will only end when there is a shot, bad tackle or something notable.  So for too many periods in the game I'm guessing what's going on, not being informed. Very frustrating.

I listed to Radio London in the first half and it was very informative. I listened to Radio Leicester in the second half and it was awful.

Stringer is a sarcastic idiot.

Bourne does not have a radio voice although he has slightly grown on me.

Elliott, was a great player for us, his analysis and forum stuff is horrendous. He qualifies every positive with a negative and negatives with a positive so you never get a straight answer. Get off the fence and say what you see/feel. We all have brains, we can think of the other side of the argument ourselves and decide if we agree with you then.

Archived