Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Torten

Could Jeff be our Gareth? (ish)

Let's just get this straight that I'm not comparing their ability at this moment!

But wasn't Bale in a similar situation at Spurs? Playing LB when his defensive ability wasn't so great.

He was pushed a bit forward and flourished with the kind of pace and strength we're starting to see in Jeff.

I honestly believe that, if he manages to mature in terms of decision making (which should come with experience..), we could have a real player on our hands.

Whilst I don't believe he will reach Bale's level any time soon, the similarities are hard to ignore.

It's always nice to have that player with great pace, especially in wide positions, because they become an outlet. Of course the player needs technical ability and decision making too but Jeff - for all the criticism I have given him over the years - has played better recently.

It's a brave comparison to make but in terms of strength and pace, I can certainly see why you've made it. 

When Bale was 21 he scored a hat-trick vs Inter Milan in a 4-3 defeat, it was then that people really started to take him seriously as an attacking threat. Then again, I'm not surprised Inter conceded 3 goals, they left Esteban on the bench.

Schlupp is 22 now but maybe he'll score 3 goals in a game in which Esteban sits on the bench. 

Let's just get this straight that I'm not comparing their ability at this moment!

But wasn't Bale in a similar situation at Spurs? Playing LB when his defensive ability wasn't so great.

He was pushed a bit forward and flourished with the kind of pace and strength we're starting to see in Jeff.

I honestly believe that, if he manages to mature in terms of decision making (which should come with experience..), we could have a real player on our hands.

Whilst I don't believe he will reach Bale's level any time soon, the similarities are hard to ignore.

Even I think that's pushing it.

Ashley Young maybe. But Bale.... Nooooooooo.

In that we've changed his position for him to show his potential, yes.

He isn't as good as a striker (yet) and he's a decent, but not fantastic, left back.

He is, however, an excellent winger for his age.

If he can improve technically then there's nothing to say he can't go a long way in the game. I would say that his technical improvement has been astronomical in his short time in the City first team though. If he can continue on that track then happy days.

Lets slow down..people are right, a month or so ago Jeff was pretty pants.

But what some people CAN'T see is potential. I always saw his potential, so consistently made a shout for him.

If he can continue to realise such potential I think he can be an important player for the club. That's why bigger clubs have looked at him.

I think a lot of his improvement is do with confidence which has been helped by having more to do and more responsibility and then coping with that.

Hang on, what's with all these reactions!? OP isn't comparing abilities as it says in the first line of his post. I think he's referring to similarities in terms of playing positions etc.

But what some people CAN'T see is potential. I always saw his potential, so consistently made a shout for him.

If he can continue to realise such potential I think he can be an important player for the club. That's why bigger clubs have looked at him.

You and me on the same wavelength Col, gosh!

Me and the guys I sit by have been saying for a year or two that Jeff is a star just waiting to happen. Confidence has always been his problem, not just confidence in his own ability, but confidence that he is doing what Pearson wants of him. Now he seems to be breaking free from his own perceived limitations and doing what is right. He also probably realises that is exactly what Pearson wants.

lol

Archived