Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
hejammy

Ulloa

He still has scored a fair few goals, but the service to him has been terrible. Even at the start of the season, he was feeding on scraps at times. that goal against stoke springs to mind, which he created himself

He was about six yards out against Stoke  :unsure: the ball was a bit behind him and it was good improvisation but it was hardly self created, He's had two balls put straight on to his head which to be fair were well taken but they were both excellent crosses, certainly not scraps, a goal my 1 year old could of scored against Villa, a penalty, and he was given a decent ball for his goal against Spurs which was no further than 8 yards out.

Today summed it up. Half the team have had efforts at goal today and he hasn't had one, it appears he feeds of scraps as he so scarcely has the positional sense to get himself into good positions regularly. 

Yes he's scored a few goals, shouldn't we expect that, not to mention a few good performances every now and again, today is not a rarity, he was like this last week but the fact we were playing Man U hid it. He was like it against Spurs but he managed to score which hid that, he was bad when he came on against Stoke, bad when we beat Villa, bad on so many occasions this season.

The debate of Ulloa vs our current squad is one thing the debate of Ulloa vs other players commanding a similar fee is a totally different one. Mainz must of pissed themselves when we told them 10 million was too much for Okazaki, given that's what we will pay for Ulloa if by some miracle we stay in this league.

I like Ulloa. He is 100% committed and looks like he can score goals. Problem is, for too long now his all round game has been lacking. His first touch is extremely inconsistent, too often leaning towards being very poor. He doesn't win as many headers as he should. He gets too intent on wrestling with opposition CBs. He's not very quick or mobile. The one thing he does very well is finish but how often does he actually get into those positions?

Take today, for example. A striker who relies on his finishing would be in a position to tap in from Mahrez' parried shot in the first half. Similarly for several of the crosses put into the box today. I know that may seem harsh but for a player who is very limited but can score goals it is criminal for him to stray from the box as much as he does. It's great he wants to link up play but it's no good for us. Several times this season he's been crossing the ball into the box. Wtf is that about?!

and he was given a decent ball for his goal against Spurs which was no further than 8 yards out

The 'decent ball' aspect is arguable, given that it was a mishit shot that he did well to control at pace, but it was literally a yard or two out from the penalty spot, which I'm sure you know likes to sit 12 yards away from the goal. If you're gonna make stuff up, then at least make it debatable and not unquestionably wrong.

The 'decent ball' aspect is arguable, given that it was a mishit shot that he did well to control at pace, but it was literally a yard or two out from the penalty spot, which I'm sure you know likes to sit 12 yards away from the goal. If you're gonna make stuff up, then at least make it debatable and not unquestionably wrong.

Not that one the league game. Talking league goals, pay attention before trying to act clever.

Not that one the league game. Talking league goals, pay attention before trying to act clever.

Apologies for the misunderstanding, but it's still an example that contradicts your point of him essentially only scoring goals that are put on a plate for him (which is still better than our other strikers who can't even do that).

Apologies for the misunderstanding, but it's still an example that contradicts your point of him essentially only scoring goals that are put on a plate for him (which is still better than our other strikers who can't even do that).

Granted it was a good finish, and yes he certainly is a better finisher than either Vardy or Nugent but the point I have been struggling to make people understand is that he simple isn't anywhere near worthy of his fee, being better than David Nugent or Jame Vardy doesn't make you worth 8 million pounds. And one goal doesn't contradict anything.

Granted it was a good finish, and yes he certainly is a better finisher than either Vardy or Nugent but the point I have been struggling to make people understand is that he simple isn't anywhere near worthy of his fee, being better than David Nugent or Jame Vardy doesn't make you worth 8 million pounds. And one goal doesn't contradict anything.

I suppose it depends on whether the goals he has scored/will score ultimately secure our survival. If they do then I'd certainly argue that his fee was worth it. Perhaps not so much if we end up being relegated.

lol best player, he's scored a few goals at the start of the season and you've got to give him credit for that. His performances on the whole of been below average throughout the entire season and his early goals have dried up.

This not a Vardy or or a Nugent we are talking about here this is a player we bought in to score the goals to keep us up for a very hefty fee, a fee that could of got us much, much better.

What do you all realistically expect him to do when he's playing upfront on his own, with his back to goal getting 30 yard passes booted at him all game? Give him a chance and he usually takes it.

He's the best target man we've had in years, he wins headers, decent touch, links the play and scores goals. Easily one of our best players this season.

Would play Kramaric and Nugent from now on. Ulloa great start but unfortunately his flick ons go no where and he doesn't suit our style of play. Nugent works hard off the ball and at least creates or has chances. Kramaric looks good on the ball and would have him playing as the striker, Nugent just behind. Ulloa doesn't seem to be able to control the ball at the moment and offer little for us at the moment. 

He can be a great finisher but he simply can't hold the ball up to save his life, he controls it further than most of Andy king's backward passes and time and time again gets bullied by similarly tall central defenders. Frustrating player to watch.

When i read people defending alloa or praising him it reminds me of the fairy story about

the kings clothes, two conmen told the king , sire we have a magic suit of clothes,

but there was nothing there, the king mot wanting to appear a fool said, its grand its fine etc,

he made out he was wearing the suit at a parade but was butt naked, and all the people said its fine its grand etc

not wanting to appear silly, when a young child said , look at the king hes in the altogether as naked as the day he was born.

ulloa is crap, he lucked out in the first five games, his control is terrible, hes slow clumsy, keeps giving away free kicks

for teams to plant free balls in our box, he scored a few for brighton last year and they could not make the play offs,

and we are rock bottom, its a repeat of all the people defending beckford and wood,  when its clear they are not any where

good enough, also for someone of his size he keeps going down far too easily, every time he starts a game and

players like delaet, knocky and drinkwater are benched its criminal in my opinion.

What do you all realistically expect him to do when he's playing upfront on his own, with his back to goal getting 30 yard passes booted at him all game? Give him a chance and he usually takes it.

He's the best target man we've had in years, he wins headers, decent touch, links the play and scores goals. Easily one of our best players this season.

The problem I have with this is that yes he can usually put away decent chances, but his positional play isn't great, we need him to get into those areas where he can get the rebound or get that cross, however certainly yesterday he didn't do that. I've think he should be rested not dropped. He seems sluggish and tired at the moment and perhaps Villa in the cup and/or away against arsenal is a good opportunity to do so. If he was capable of holding a 30 yard pass (hoof) I'd say keep him in for arsenal, but on today's performance he certainly isn't. Give him a rest, work on his positional play, his ability to hold the ball and his control and he might be OK.

7, it is funny how Jermaine Beckford was never allowed to count his cup goals but Ulloa is. and it's  Two in the league in five months.

I didn't mention anything about cup goals. I thought it was 9 in the league, and it's not so I was wrong on that account but I can't really see anybody else scoring consistently. He's on 7 now, might end up with about 9 or 10, which is a decent return for a team like ourselves which currently sits bottom of the league.

lol best player, he's scored a few goals at the start of the season and you've got to give him credit for that. His performances on the whole of been below average throughout the entire season and his early goals have dried up.

This not a Vardy or or a Nugent we are talking about here this is a player we bought in to score the goals to keep us up for a very hefty fee, a fee that could of got us much, much better.

where would we be without Ulloa's goals?

where would we be without Ulloa's goals?

Who knows? But I can confidently say if we'd bought an upgrade on Nugent and Vardy instead of going in a totally different direction with Ulloa we'd be better off than we are now. Strange signing giving the success we had without a target man.

Archived