Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
chrishlcfc

Cheltenham Festival 2015

As it is now less than a month away and im getting extremely excited thought i'd get the thread going.

Had my 1st Cheltenham bet today:

Hurricane Fly

Rock On Ruby

Silviniaco Conti

Dodging Bullets

Only a small L15 but thought i'd get the ball spinning, don't think these will all win but they are probably just about 4 of my favourite horses :)

can't wait for this. 1st time at the festival, there for thursday and friday.

did a few ante-post bets weeks ago.

been sticking a few quid a month in a kitty between 3 of us so got a grand for the 2 days.

hopefully we can pick a few winners.

Cannot wait for this- going Gold Cup day as always!

Conti almost seems too obvious? I fancy Lord Windermere again. Doesn't win too often but was decent enough at Leopardstown last time. Crucially though 2/2 at the festival after winning last year and the RSA in 2013! At 14's I personally think it's very backable.

imagine the roar if the fly is challenging over the last and up the hill. just imagine it.

tbf probably going to stay in your imagination as faugheen wins on the bridle lol

I actually think Faugheen might fall. Some of his jumping is sketchy and if put under pressure then might make a mistake. If it is allowed to dominate the race then you're right it will will easily.

I actually think Faugheen might fall. Some of his jumping is sketchy and if put under pressure then might make a mistake. If it is allowed to dominate the race then you're right it will will easily.

assuming ruby is on board he should get round. wouldn't be surprised to see them out in front from the off, uncomplicated ride and kick away coming down the straight.

has the potential to be one of the best races in recent memory imo. if faugheen doesn't get it all his own way, if the fly gives it one last go vs jezki, if the new one is still in contention with that turn of pace etc etc.

champion chase could be unreal too.

I'm having one football bet each match day as my only bets til Cheltenham now, gonna take a break from horses and start workin out how to get rich in 3 weeks time :D

Going for the first time ever on the Friday, cannot wait, especially with the football being so disappointing this season.

Any tips on parking, drinking, eating, views etc from people who have been before?

If you head towards the racecourse by passing the Prince of Wales stadium going down Tommy Taylors Lane you can usually park for free on Hilltop Road and the surrounding residential streets. Most of the other larger streets have the cones out to prevent you parking there to ease traffic. It's then literally a 5-10 minute walk to the racecourse from Tommy Taylors Lane. Parking closer towards Cheltenham town centre is a virtual no go as there is minimal parking around the town anyway never mind during Festival week. 

buzzing for this, off down on gold cup day in the tatts enclosure where i've been told it's literally beer or bet, not both, due to the queues lol. went last year on the tuesday in the best mates which was quality but hoping this year will eclipse it.

Going for the first time ever on the Friday, cannot wait, especially with the football being so disappointing this season.

Any tips on parking, drinking, eating, views etc from people who have been before?

last year they had a tonne of buses at the train station shipping to and from the racecourse. about a tenner return but would save you the traffic and higher charges closer to the course itself.

Going all week as per usual

No boozing of note till Thursday and Friday when half of liverpool and north west decend on the park

Although my whole week betting budget is going on the winner of the first on Tuesday lol

My little anti post bet now is

Sire de grugy 4-1 champion chase

Don Cossack ryanair chase 4-1

Bordini 10-1 champion bumper

£10 each way patent pays around £4500

Dreams :)

This used to be absolute gold for me, I would look forward to it for months in advance. Yet, sicne I quit gambling and a lot of my favourite horses retired or snuffed it I just don't have the same passion and excitement for it. I'll still enjoy watching it as i'll always retain an interest in horse racing but i'll not be as engrossed ever again I don't think.

I'm glad I work from home 3 days a week though, can watch most of it uninterupted!!

for those there for a night or 2. wheres good for a few drinks. i imagine most places are rammed.

we are arriving weds night about 10 for a few beers.

then tattershalls thursday and best mate friday.

sounds like there's a few off here going.

not going but used to be a bookie. loved working anywhere during it. out of it now but still will have a few bets on this. may bet the glastonbury ticket money and hope it pays dividends! 

not looked at anything yet. dont think sprinter sacre will win the queen mother though! 

Watched Sprinter Sacre's 2013 Champion Chase the other day, blimey he was unbelievable back then.

Hurricane Fly has done nothing but win this season, got to be worth an each way bet at his price.

If you head towards the racecourse by passing the Prince of Wales stadium going down Tommy Taylors Lane you can usually park for free on Hilltop Road and the surrounding residential streets. Most of the other larger streets have the cones out to prevent you parking there to ease traffic. It's then literally a 5-10 minute walk to the racecourse from Tommy Taylors Lane. Parking closer towards Cheltenham town centre is a virtual no go as there is minimal parking around the town anyway never mind during Festival week. 

last year they had a tonne of buses at the train station shipping to and from the racecourse. about a tenner return but would save you the traffic and higher charges closer to the course itself.

Cheers guys

For anyone who's interested, check out espmadrid on Youtube, he's got plenty of Cheltenham classics ie:

2003 my greatest ever gambling year at Cheltenham , paid the deposit on our house off that week , used to go every year on gold cup day with a bus trip from the crown in tur Langton , later from coach and horses in Lubbenham

I had done a £10 patent anti post on rooster booster , Moscow flyer and Bestmate arrived in chelt on the Thursday pretty convinced we Would win with best mate and we did

I was still pissed from paddies day and wrote out a 10 patent on barracuda , kings cliff and la landarie and at last min changed it to a £20 patent and put same horses in another £5 Yankee including a horse that had bolted up at leicester just before the festival palarshan he was 10-1 and bolted up again

We never backed a looser all day apart from first race , including spirt leader in the last at 10-1

Was crazy crazy day we had to get a tesco bag to put all the cash in ha ha ha

Never had a day like it before or since , came hope pissed and left the bag on the sofa

My wife found it in the morning and put it straight in the bank and a deposit on the house

Miss those bus trips lol LOL

for those there for a night or 2. wheres good for a few drinks. i imagine most places are rammed.

we are arriving weds night about 10 for a few beers.

then tattershalls thursday and best mate friday.

sounds like there's a few off here going.

Generally best to start off on the High Street, Specte usually have a band on after the football finishes. After that Copa's is pretty good and not too far from Yates's and Rev's.

You'll love it mate, the town is rocking all week and has a buzz like no other, I'm there from Monday night until Friday morning for the 9th year running, highlight of the year for me love every second of it!

i keep seeing it on twitter and hearing it from various people in work or on the tele but i'm gonna ask straight up. does anyone actually for one second believe that the new one is a better horse than faugheen?!

if this race even goes half way to plan for mullins/ruby/faugheen he wins by a comfortable distance, surely? i know it's cheltenham it's the hill it's a breakneck speed, any minor, minor error or misjudgement is punished and it's gonna have drama and incidents like last year and many other years, but really, the new one to beat faugheen? not for me. in a one v one match race faugheen isn't even asked for an effort imo. and ruby's a better jockey than STD, in fact statistically the best round cheltenham at the festival ever ain't he? so tactics shouldn't be a problem. 

i am fully aware this may backfire in eleven days time when the new one accelerates away up the hill with a superb turn of foot but there we go... 

Archived