Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
shailen

Will our luck begin to change?

Okay before I begin, I'm not having a debate about the fact that we shouldn't be bottom. The league doesn't work that way. Liverpool were the best team last year, yet Man City won the league. You could say that we lack certain qualities such as resilience and defensive solidity that other teams around us may have, but our general play has been far better than the teams around us. It's the reason we give everyone a game, look at all the other teams and they've been battered or completely outplayed at some point.

BUT, the thing about our luck is really starting to drive me mad. I'm not talking about the number of sitters we have missed because that is poor finishing not bad luck. But the fact that we don't seem to get decisions in our favour. How we have only won one penalty all season, that being the most debatable one, is beyond me? Last season the number of times we won penalties was no coincidence. It's a result of our directness that has been deployed a lot more this season, yet it seems decisions always go against us. The two penalties given against Liverpool were probably the most diabolical decisions I have seen, and at least one of the two decisions against City should have been given. They were stone wall penalties! Not to add Vardy against Spurs at home. I know I've missed some out but you get the point. They say these things even out over the season. Let's hope so. Generally, I wouldn't comment on these things as it may appear as if I'm clutching at straws but this season I've never been more angered by referee's incompetence. Why do referees miss these decisions against the 'smaller clubs'? We really do deserve to have some decisions go in our favour, such as penalties that never were. 

Enough about referees. I don't care what anyone says. We have played well this season. The football has been fantastic and we have outplayed or matched most of the bigger teams in the league. Pearson is doing the right thing, by trying to play the best football and you'd hope we would take more of our chances. It's a bit of a catch 22 with our strikers. For me, Ulloa is our best finisher, but put him in the team and you lose the energy and flexibility that the other 3 bring that ultimately brings about our chances. Our defence at times has been poor, but I can point out players in every team that have underperformed over the season. We have conceded less than 1.65 goals a game, which for us is actually okay. I don't think the defence has been the problem, so I don't really understand the slating although I've seen the likes of Wes, Konchesky et al perform better. 

The whole season we have been there. I have believed since early December that we aren't playing badly and our elusive winning streak would start soon steering us well clear of relegation. Time is starting to run out, but if we play the same way with a little bit of composure and luck in front of goal we can do this. BELIEVE

Okay before I begin, I'm not having a debate about the fact that we shouldn't be bottom. The league doesn't work that way. Liverpool were the best team last year, yet Man City won the league. You could say that we lack certain qualities such as resilience and defensive solidity that other teams around us may have, but our general play has been far better than the teams around us. It's the reason we give everyone a game, look at all the other teams and they've been battered or completely outplayed at some point.

BUT, the thing about our luck is really starting to drive me mad. I'm not talking about the number of sitters we have missed because that is poor finishing not bad luck. But the fact that we don't seem to get decisions in our favour. How we have only won one penalty all season, that being the most debatable one, is beyond me? Last season the number of times we won penalties was no coincidence. It's a result of our directness that has been deployed a lot more this season, yet it seems decisions always go against us. The two penalties given against Liverpool were probably the most diabolical decisions I have seen, and at least one of the two decisions against City should have been given. They were stone wall penalties! Not to add Vardy against Spurs at home. I know I've missed some out but you get the point. They say these things even out over the season. Let's hope so. Generally, I wouldn't comment on these things as it may appear as if I'm clutching at straws but this season I've never been more angered by referee's incompetence. Why do referees miss these decisions against the 'smaller clubs'? We really do deserve to have some decisions go in our favour, such as penalties that never were. 

Enough about referees. I don't care what anyone says. We have played well this season. The football has been fantastic and we have outplayed or matched most of the bigger teams in the league. Pearson is doing the right thing, by trying to play the best football and you'd hope we would take more of our chances. It's a bit of a catch 22 with our strikers. For me, Ulloa is our best finisher, but put him in the team and you lose the energy and flexibility that the other 3 bring that ultimately brings about our chances. Our defence at times has been poor, but I can point out players in every team that have underperformed over the season. We have conceded less than 1.65 goals a game, which for us is actually okay. I don't think the defence has been the problem, so I don't really understand the slating although I've seen the likes of Wes, Konchesky et al perform better. 

The whole season we have been there. I have believed since early December that we aren't playing badly and our elusive winning streak would start soon steering us well clear of relegation. Time is starting to run out, but if we play the same way with a little bit of composure and luck in front of goal we can do this. BELIEVE

I admire your positivity and I'm sure people are sick of my negative posts and I really should stop replying to these kinds of posts but... are you fvcking serious?

I admire your positivity and I'm sure people are sick of my negative posts and I really should stop replying to these kinds of posts but... are you fvcking serious?

probably sounds like I'm Pearson, but "our performances have been good, not our results"

We won two penos and I them you have been at the beer mate.

We have played well on occasions but generally, we have been dire.

that's doesn't mean we are worse than the other 19 sides. we may end up good enough for 17th. But to say 'the football has been fantastic and we have matched or outplayed most of the bigger teams........'

NURSE, - he's on the internet again!

Not with the way we're playing now, there was a point at which we were doing everything right and seemed to be hitting the point multiple times every match or forcing wonder saves and then letting them win with a stupid mistake at the back, now we're creating **** all and just waiting for our ever increasing back line of liabilities to make a mistake

The stoke win was one of the luckiest I've ever seen. Man utd was pretty lucky too what with Vardy's fouls. That's a third of the points we've won this season down to luck.

We've been unlucky once or twice but mostly, against teams we might have beaten, we've just been utterly, appalling crap, and we fully deserve to be exactly where we are in the league.

The stoke win was one of the luckiest I've ever seen. Man utd was pretty lucky too what with Vardy's fouls. That's a third of the points we've won this season down to luck.

We've been unlucky once or twice but mostly, against teams we might have beaten, we've just been utterly, appalling crap, and we fully deserve to be exactly where we are in the league.

Get off the fence man!

Exactly this.  People bang on about how unlucky we have been but then turn a blind eye to the luck we've had.  As you say, there is no way in the world we deserved the stoke win, and we were dead and buried 3-1 at home to Man U.  99 times out of a 100 they see that one out.  We couldn't really argue if we were actually sat on 12 points never mind 18.  However, you could say that we "maybe" deserve to be 6 points better off than we are with chucking away wins to draws in the last minutes and maybe not picking up a win or two when we have drawn.  But the long and short of it is, is that its more or less evened out.  And 18 points is what we deserve.  No more, no less.

Our form is terrible.

Even in our last 6 games we're bottom of the league.

We literally need top 8 form in order to survive.

That kind of luck is something for the movies, especially after how ineffective we've been at looking like a winning team.

The late Everton goal against us just summed up our ability in this division, to even be in a position of winning, and then letting it slip - it's something some teams just can't wipe.

Burnley / Everton, dropped 4 points from them, sure Everton's was a moment of class, but at this level you've got to see out games, and if we're not even getting into the positon to be winning, how the hell are we going to see out wins. We managed to do it vs Hull, LUCKILY IMO, and Stoke just thanks to Hamer.

We had a season's worth of luck in the United game.

Lets not forget also we were exceptionally lucky to beat Stoke and Hull we should have lost both matches on balance of play.

Lets not forget also we were exceptionally lucky to beat Stoke and Hull we should have lost both matches on balance of play.

Yeah but plenty of teams have got results that way. Like Stoke did with Man City before they played us. Luck in terms of referees seemingly being unable to allow us a penalty is what the OP is getting at. There is one game we had lucky decisions, and more than a handful where we should have got more points.

By that logic we've been seriously unlucky to lose or draw games where we've been on top on the 'balance of play'

I still feel Leicester have been victims of their early season successes.

Our best football appears to have been played against the stronger teams - because they know they are better than us and up to a point let us play a more positive style.

The lesser teams , having seen what Leicester MAY be capable of , have attempted to stifle us. OK , that is their right - but for City to comply with it has been the disappointment. To a large extent , the selection and set up had a lot to answer for at times.

We have several winnable matches left - but we must try to win them. Survival will ultimately depend on getting about another 16 pts but mainly against those in the same predicament.

If we go down , we must go down playing as we did last season and at the start of this - that does not mean letting teams potentially worse than ourselves dictate how we play.

Again, that will start at the selection and set up process of course.

I agree with you, it's not my point, but yeah. 

But then surely by that logic we should have beaten:

Arsenal (H)

Burnley (H)

Sunderland (H)

QPR (A)

Spurs (H)

Liverpool (A)

drew Stoke (H)

Arsenal (A)

Everton (A)

Thats 20 points I think we should have got, minus the 6 we were lucky to get which would put us on 32 points. Football doesn't work that way though

By what standard has our 'football been good'?

It's all relative. I'm not saying that our football is so good we should be competing for Europe, but if I were to rate teams by the football they play, we would be around 11/12th for me. That is definitely us overachieving. I still maintain it's the best football I've seen us play for around 10/15 years and if we scored more goals and won more games, I bet more people would appreciate that

No.

We had ONE piece of luck in the man u game when vardy's foul on mario wasn't penalised. The rest was down to man u implosion.

We may have sneaked wins against the run of play v stoke and hull, but that is to do with resilience of defense and failure of the oppo to create/finish chances.

It is a completely different thing from refs continually making crucial errors against you.

No.

We had ONE piece of luck in the man u game when vardy's foul on mario wasn't penalised. The rest was down to man u implosion.

We may have sneaked wins against the run of play v stoke and hull, but that is to do with resilience of defense and failure of the oppo to create/finish chances.

It is a completely different thing from refs continually making crucial errors against you.

Exactly this. If we lose becuase of our ability to not take out chances or defend, fair enough. If we lose because of bad decisions by referees then it's not right. We had two stone wall penos against Man city. 

Archived