Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mad Dog

Is Nigel Pearson the new Jose Mourinho?

"I hear the thud of chins on floors and heads against walls, but bear with me on this one.

I used to manage my sons football and the rude awaking I got when I took over from my predecessor took me by surprise. Not only did I have to train and manage the team, but deal with the local FA and worse than that, deal with the parents who, believe you me, make today’s press look like angles.

My point here is that managing a football team (at any level) is not just about training and managing the 30-odd players that make up the squad.

These days, certainly for the top managers, its dealing with shareholders as well as 24 hour TV and radio stations, numerous tabloids, broadsheets and football magazines as well as over-paid football players.

In the modern day world of football even the best can lose it, a’la Ferguson, Beckham and the boot.

With hours of TV and radio to fill as well as pages of papers and magazines and social media, any story can be blown up to help fill these gaps. Clubs and their staff are under more and more pressure these days as the rewards for winning grow and grow.

Managers have to come out straight after a game when decisions have gone against them, and face the press, something their nemesis, the referee does not have to.

So why the likeness between Pearson and Mourinho?

Well, Jose is very good at deflecting pressure and criticism away from his players. Whenever they seem to have a bad game the press seem to end up talking about him rather than his team.

None of us like to be criticised for what we do at our place of employment players are no different. A managers job in any sphere of employment is to nurture and get the best out their staff. A football managers job is no different.

One thing Nigel has always had is a good relationship with ‘most’ of his players. Yes, he doesn’t suffer fools, but you get the feeling most would play barefoot on glass for him. A lot of the time he has been criticised by the press this season he has been defending a player or the team as a whole.

At a time when, sitting bottom of the league, the players are under a lot of pressure we are talking about the manager and not them.

Maybe Pearson is cleverer than we give him credit for?"

http://metro.co.uk/2015/03/22/is-leicester-citys-nigel-pearson-the-new-jose-mourinho-5115766/

So you think he deliberately makes an arse of himself in the media for the players benefit?

Not buying that one im afraid.

Not buying it either, it's clearly not working, and if it was his ploy, and its not worked, surely he'd knock it on the head now.

It's an interesting thought, but the only incident that you could perhaps say was a calculated comment was at the weekend with what he said about the ref. But there wasn't a huge amount to defend the players from. The other stuff has seemed more of an emotional response.

Not buying it either, it's clearly not working, and if it was his ploy, and its not worked, surely he'd knock it on the head now.

How exactly could you measure whether it was working or not? I don't agree with it either but you can't measure pressure other people are feeling.

Deflecting the pressure and criticism from your players (then doing it yourself in private) is a very strong managerial trait.

A lot of managers fail to keep there cool and lay 'blame' on players in public, which is incredibly embarrassing and scrutinising for said player in the public eye.

Nigel handles it so well, and he really needed to deflect the pressure this season.

The article is clutching at excuses though. Nigel is Nigel.

How exactly could you measure whether it was working or not? I don't agree with it either but you can't measure pressure other people are feeling.

Well the results haven't improved, and against hull and in a lot of games they have looked like a team with no confidence and look a team under pressure.

Pearsons own admission are that some are not performing and not handling the pressure, and he will make changes, which he did before the Spurs game.

I don't think mourinho has ever overseen runs with such dire points returns so I don't see the comparison. He may protect them in public but jose seems to be able to couple that with making effective changes both between and in game and utilising whoever he has regardless of his personal relationships with them. So aside from being male with 4 workin limbs and a head I don't see much in common

I don't think mourinho has ever overseen runs with such dire points returns so I don't see the comparison. He may protect them in public but jose seems to be able to couple that with making effective changes both between and in game and utilising whoever he has regardless of his personal relationships with them. So aside from being male with 4 workin limbs and a head I don't see much in common

He's comparing a single thing, not them as managers.

I didn't write the OP, just quoting from the Metro article. It does make an interesting point though. I don't think a single player of ours has been singled out for criticism by the media at all which is incredible given we're having one of the worst seasons in the history of professional football in terms of our points return.

Well the results haven't improved, and against hull and in a lot of games they have looked like a team with no confidence and look a team under pressure.

Pearsons own admission are that some are not performing and not handling the pressure, and he will make changes, which he did before the Spurs game.

The fact that we have been bottom for so long and our performance levels haven't dropped suggests that it is working. I think we are forgetting how easy it would be for heads to drop and take a right battering. We were 2-0 down to Spurs the other day and were a refereeing decision away from turning it round.

Sean Dyche does the same thing. Constantly bigs up the funds of his opponents and never negatively discusses his own teams performance.

It takes pressure off the squad and keeps confidence as high as it can be.

Although I doubt it's a tactic in any way, it is amazing how little the players get criticised. Can only think of small spells where certain players have taken stick. Kasper at the start of the season, konchesky from November, and Simpson and Morgan more recently.

Perhaps it's because when we do play shite as a team, we usually follow it up with an impressive loss to a big team and managers are judged more on results than performances in comparison to players.

Slightly changing the subject I wonder how Mourinho would fare at a club with a fraction of the transfer budget he has been used to, and I am not taking anything away from his achievements either he has got to the top where only the massive spending clubs can attract him but I would love to see if he could get the best out of a lesser squad of players.

Mourinho has shown he can do that at Porto tbf.

Theres no doubt that the Premier League is more tough though.

Its quickly apparent that great coaching will only get you so far. If you don't spend millions you will struggle. That's why the usual clubs will float to the top regardless of a bad start to the season.

That's why Pearson, Dyche and even Redknapp who was an accomplished manager struggled this season.

The fact that we have been bottom for so long and our performance levels haven't dropped suggests that it is working. I think we are forgetting how easy it would be for heads to drop and take a right battering. We were 2-0 down to Spurs the other day and were a refereeing decision away from turning it round.

Sean Dyche does the same thing. Constantly bigs up the funds of his opponents and never negatively discusses his own teams performance.

It takes pressure off the squad and keeps confidence as high as it can be.

Which I praised the team for on the post match thread, their heads never let their heads drop, pearson being an arsehole with the media over the season I doubt played a part.

My point is, if this has been some sort of ploy, results have been consistently poor, so the ploy, hasn't affected anything in a positive way.

We have had threads defending pearson, and blaming the players, now we are defending/ justifying his behaviour, because he's defending, protecting these players, who have been accused by people defending pearson, of getting away with the results and pearson is getting all the flack.

Maybe a bit of pressure on the players might be exactly what they need. I doubt pearson's bizarre behaviour is an intentional deflection tactic anyway, I think he's just a bizarre bloke, but if it is then the key difference between him and mourinho is that it works when mourinho does it, but is evidently failing for Pearson.

Which I praised the team for on the post match thread, their heads never let their heads drop, pearson being an arsehole with the media over the season I doubt played a part.

My point is, if this has been some sort of ploy, results have been consistently poor, so the ploy, hasn't affected anything in a positive way.

We have had threads defending pearson, and blaming the players, now we are defending/ justifying his behaviour, because he's defending, protecting these players, who have been accused by people defending pearson, of getting away with the results and pearson is getting all the flack.

Pearson and his 'antics' if you can even describe it like that considering they are nothing compared to what other managers have got away with have succeeded in deflecting attention away from the performances of individuals.

As the poster above has said, nobody has really had a go at our team. Kasper, Morgan, Konchesky and Drinkwater have come in for some stick at some points in the season but that's about it.

All the attention is on Pearson just like all the attention at Burnley is on Dyche.

Our performances this season have been better than results would suggest wouldn't you agree? That is down to the manager. The results tends to be down to the players on the pitch.

Now if not for some very deflating bits of luck going against us in matches and some shocking refereeing decisions we would be much better off points wise, agreed?

Pearson has picked the players up week after week to go at every team with enthusiasm and with 100%. I commend him for that because it must be very difficult for the players.

Whatever you think of them, regardless of the money they're on, they are the ones in training every day looking forward to the next match and not getting the rewards for their effort week in week out. It must be incredibly demoralising.

Pearson and his 'antics' if you can even describe it like that considering they are nothing compared to what other managers have got away with have succeeded in deflecting attention away from the performances of individuals.

As the poster above has said, nobody has really had a go at our team. Kasper, Morgan, Konchesky and Drinkwater have come in for some stick at some points in the season but that's about it.

All the attention is on Pearson just like all the attention at Burnley is on Dyche.

Our performances this season have been better than results would suggest wouldn't you agree? That is down to the manager. The results tends to be down to the players on the pitch.

Now if not for some very deflating bits of luck going against us in matches and some shocking refereeing decisions we would be much better off points wise, agreed?

Pearson has picked the players up week after week to go at every team with enthusiasm and with 100%. I commend him for that because it must be very difficult for the players.

Whatever you think of them, regardless of the money they're on, they are the ones in training every day looking forward to the next match and not getting the rewards for their effort week in week out. It must be incredibly demoralising.

Your talking like we have been bottom since November because of luck, we have been bottom because we don't know how to win.

The results and table don't lie, ok in some games we have been unlucky, and some games we have played well for us and lost, but the truth is, we are in the worst league position, because we don't get the results, and have been beaten by the teams around us, barring once against villa, and once against hull.

I think I'm talking to somebody who will call black, white if it means defending Pearson, with comments like his antics are nothing.

Telling a fan to **** of and die, not normal for any manager, not to speak to a local press, probably has happened before, still petty and childish, and abusing national press, and the arrogants he shows, unwise, and he's become odd.

Strangling an opposition player, and then saying to the press, I can look after myself, odd, and odd.

And if your telling me this is all for the good of the team, I wouldn't like to see what you would class as bad for the team.

"I hear the thud of chins on floors and heads against walls, but bear with me on this one.

I used to manage my sons football and the rude awaking I got when I took over from my predecessor took me by surprise. Not only did I have to train and manage the team, but deal with the local FA and worse than that, deal with the parents who, believe you me, make today’s press look like angles.

My point here is that managing a football team (at any level) is not just about training and managing the 30-odd players that make up the squad.

These days, certainly for the top managers, its dealing with shareholders as well as 24 hour TV and radio stations, numerous tabloids, broadsheets and football magazines as well as over-paid football players.

In the modern day world of football even the best can lose it, a’la Ferguson, Beckham and the boot.

With hours of TV and radio to fill as well as pages of papers and magazines and social media, any story can be blown up to help fill these gaps. Clubs and their staff are under more and more pressure these days as the rewards for winning grow and grow.

Managers have to come out straight after a game when decisions have gone against them, and face the press, something their nemesis, the referee does not have to.

So why the likeness between Pearson and Mourinho?

Well, Jose is very good at deflecting pressure and criticism away from his players. Whenever they seem to have a bad game the press seem to end up talking about him rather than his team.

None of us like to be criticised for what we do at our place of employment players are no different. A managers job in any sphere of employment is to nurture and get the best out their staff. A football managers job is no different.

One thing Nigel has always had is a good relationship with ‘most’ of his players. Yes, he doesn’t suffer fools, but you get the feeling most would play barefoot on glass for him. A lot of the time he has been criticised by the press this season he has been defending a player or the team as a whole.

At a time when, sitting bottom of the league, the players are under a lot of pressure we are talking about the manager and not them.

Maybe Pearson is cleverer than we give him credit for?"

http://metro.co.uk/2015/03/22/is-leicester-citys-nigel-pearson-the-new-jose-mourinho-5115766/

Err. No, I don't think so. "Nurture and get the best out of his staff!" Pearson doesn't even come close. 

Yes, but he also omitted the fact that he himself has "no confidence; is not performing as a manager, and not handling the pressure"

He does his best, I'm sure, but he has put us in a position of all but certain relegation,and  has now simply lost the plot. 

He really does need to go.

Archived