Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

IF we stay up , is it our greatest achievement ever?

on a technical / ability level, probably.

in terms of character, grit, drive and most of all effectiveness = not even close.

I can tell from that post you weren't around during the oneill years. On ability this team is miles behind.

I personally think this team is miles better than the team under MON, so the great escape won't be as special as winning the league cup twice and finishing mid table the premier league. Having said that, the situation we find ourselves it would be the most unlikely turnaround in our history, but by no means our greatest achievement

This simply has to go down as one of Foxestalk's most deluded posts of all time. (I know there's plenty of competition)

Another unrealistic thread. Yes, sure but look at the REAL situation and do the maths. 

Why after all this time and only 4 wins all season do folk seem do think we can get ourselves out of the mire.

Believe me; it ain't goin' to happen!!

April fools day is not till next wednesday. I had to plus1 it one of the funniest comments ever on FT

I personally think this team is miles better than the team under MON, so the great escape won't be as special as winning the league cup twice and finishing mid table the premier league. Having said that, the situation we find ourselves it would be the most unlikely turnaround in our history, but by no means our greatest achievement

With relegation looming, if we somehow manage to beat the drop would it feel better than winning promotion?

I know last season we all knew for a long time we were going up but say if we didnt look like we were going anywhere then in the last 9 games we put together a run that saw us get promoted, that would be loads better.

so if we escape now it will be orgasmic, probably feel like we've been promoted anyway.

I just feel weve been such a bad joke this season (hardly terrible but terribly crap) it would be insane if we ended up surviving and defying all the "experts" and generally annoying everyone that we are still gonna be there next season.

It will also be insane how much money we need to spend in the summer if we did stay up.

I can tell from that post you weren't around during the oneill years. On ability this team is miles behind.

Football in general and especially the Premier League is at a much higher level than it was in the late 90s, I am 26 and went to games then with my dad. The team now is technically more able, no doubt about it, we play nicer football as well.

My point is that we had a lot more character and ruthlessness (and winning mentality) in MONs teams which is what won matches which makes his teams superior to Pearson's now

Achievement? Not for me considering it was ourselves who got us into this position. If a new manager came in tomorrow and kept us up then it would be up there with some of the best management we've had.

If we did stay up it would be right up there with the best late survivals in this league. Being bottom of the table from November to April and staying up would be miraculous.

Football in general and especially the Premier League is at a much higher level than it was in the late 90s, I am 26 and went to games then with my dad. The team now is technically more able, no doubt about it, we play nicer football as well.

My point is that we had a lot more character and ruthlessness (and winning mentality) in MONs teams which is what won matches which makes his teams superior to Pearson's now

Nonsense. Your Izzet's, Lennon's and Heskey's had more technique in one toe than all of our current squad bar Cambiasso.

Flowers

Guppy

????????????

Walsh

Taggart

Elliott

Lennon

Izzet

?????????????

Heskey

????????????

There's not one player in today's squad that would be a shoe in for the MON team. For me the eight players I've named would be a shoo in, the other three places would be debatable. 

Flowers

Guppy

????????????

Walsh

Taggart

Elliott

Lennon

Izzet

?????????????

Heskey

????????????

There's not one player in today's squad that would be a shoe in for the MON team. For me the eight players I've named would be a shoo in, the other three places would be debatable.

You have missed out Pontus Kaamark the way that man marked Juninho out of the game In the league cup final against Middlesborough was absolutely fantastic. Does make me laugh when persons say you can't compare the premier league of today with how it was in the late 90's money etc. Doh! It was still the premier league reputably the best in the world? Would also include Cottee in your eleven remember he was in the twilight of his career when he signed for us but his finishing was superb give him one chance he would score.

The premier may be of a higher technical level than it was then but you're deluded to think this team is better than MON's. With the exception of Cambiasso I'm not sure who else can be claimed to have high technical ability, most of them are incapable of stringing 2 passes together.

It would be on hell of an achievement on the basis that it is now just barely achievable. Had we picked up 3-4 point against Hull and Spurs it would have been plausible. Alas we got 1 and now survival seems but a delusion of grandeur. 

I'm at a loss for words here.

really?

You actually think  that?

I missed the word technically out. I think this team is better technically. What we had under MON was a team full of grit and determination mixed with good quality. This side has more flair and creativity, however we are so naive and our game management at times has been our undoing. That's the difference for me and thanks everyone for pointing that out haha

I missed the word technically out. I think this team is better technically. What we had under MON was a team full of grit and determination mixed with good quality. This side has more flair and creativity, however we are so naive and our game management at times has been our undoing. That's the difference for me and thanks everyone for pointing that out haha

Part of me thinks you're trolling and I shouldn't bite, but....

Kasey Keller and Tim Flowers were international standard keepers. Flowers in particular was superb, his amazing shot-stopping was the reason we went top under Taylor. Our defence was infinitely better than now, you cannot be 'technically' good and be so defensively frail. Garry Parker was one of the best strikers of a dead ball I have ever seen in England. Izzet and Lennon were obviously two of our greatest ever central midfielders. Lennon read the game so well, his sale was the beginning of our downfall. Steve Guppy could cross a ball better than anyone we have had since. He made the England squad. Emile Heskey, despite the critics, has won trophies and played in World Cups. Tony Cottee was one of the best finishers of his generation. The reason we fell from grace was not so much Peter Taylor's appalling management but because he replaced superb players with mediocre ones.

Part of me thinks you're trolling and I shouldn't bite, but....

Kasey Keller and Tim Flowers were international standard keepers. Flowers in particular was superb, his amazing shot-stopping was the reason we went top under Taylor. Our defence was infinitely better than now, you cannot be 'technically' good and be so defensively frail. Garry Parker was one of the best strikers of a dead ball I have ever seen in England. Izzet and Lennon were obviously two of our greatest ever central midfielders. Lennon read the game so well, his sale was the beginning of our downfall. Steve Guppy could cross a ball better than anyone we have had since. He made the England squad. Emile Heskey, despite the critics, has won trophies and played in World Cups. Tony Cottee was one of the best finishers of his generation. The reason we fell from grace was not so much Peter Taylor's appalling management but because he replaced superb players with mediocre ones.

Spot on.

Add to that players like Kaamark who, and I don't exaggerate, was one of the best full backs I've ever seen (as in watched, live). He was incredibly composed, literally hardly ever missed a tackle and a superb passer of the ball.

Our full backs now, for example, are miles off his talent.

Spot on.

Add to that players like Kaamark who, and I don't exaggerate, was one of the best full backs I've ever seen (as in watched, live). He was incredibly composed, literally hardly ever missed a tackle and a superb passer of the ball.

tru dat, Kaamark was excellent

Apart from everyone who has recently retired from the game is arguing that this is the worst premier league since it's inception.

But I guess us folks who post on forums know best.

Wow

This is technically a shit explanation lol

Spot on.

Pontus is one of my fave city players of all time. Shame he got his injury. Full backs have been a massive issue this season.

To be fair to konch he has been the best of them and that's saying something.

Technically better?! You are crazy.

Our side had flair last season as the opposition was dog shite so it was easier to appear better, i have seen feck all flair this season, the recent hull game was genuinely like watching paint dry an the majority of the squad have been well and truly found out this season.

I think you should watch this and have a think about who is better technically or other wise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IpUzmCM51Q

Archived